Revolution No. 9

Hypothetical question: What will start the next American Revolution? Will it begin with a coup d'etat? A constitutional convention that gets out of hand?  (like the meeting of the French Estates General)  Or, as in the "Nika Riots" of Constantinople, the Reds and the Blues unite and overthrow the government out of sheer disgust?

The first one began with a middle class (ish) tax revolt.  Lots of businessmen (John Hancock) and lawyers (John Adams) with a sprinkling of large landowners-cum-soliders (George Washington).  The second was a battle between landowners and industrialists, but it is of course more complicated than that.  (I personally hate the states' rights/slavery debate, it bores the hell out of me).

Thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There won't be one.  Any government in power can easily quash any "revolutionaries" who decide to kick up a fuss.

Your romantic notions about "revolution" are quite quaint.... this ain't the 1800s....

Edited by The_Squid

I was just in the process of writing a similar reply.  The_Squid beat me to it.  As long as the US Government maintains control over the military any revolution would be doomed to failure.

A coup d'etat by the military might be the only thing that might work.  But I don't see them as being too pissed off right now.

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Like the Romans perhaps?

Maybe the most famous example.  The Weimar Republic ended with Hitler, the French. Revolution begat Napoleon. Russian democracy that came out of the Soviet collapse is as good as dead. Mussolini, Franco and a bunch of South and Central American governments,  the list goes on.

20 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I was just in the process of writing a similar reply.  The_Squid beat me to it.  As long as the US Government maintains control over the military any revolution would be doomed to failure.

A coup d'etat by the military might be the only thing that might work.  But I don't see them as being too pissed off right now.

That'll come with the collapse of the economy and the trough the military has become so accustomed to feeding from.

30 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That'll come with the collapse of the economy and the trough the military has become so accustomed to feeding from.

Nah, the government will turn over the trough that everyone else feeds from to them before they let that happen.  If they are the last ones with a trough, what's the point in revolution?

Edited by bcsapper

litics.I know many on here what their view is on Alex Jones but he and Roger Stone, former employee under Clinton, have already been talking about a coup d'état within the US and it was going on  since Trump won the leadership. Geo. Sorso HATES Trump so being  a billionaire he been paying people to do this dirty work and if u go over to alex jones, you tube, you'll hear now they are trying to kill Trump. Corruption is well and is living in US.

5 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Of course.  But I don't agree with the military's "trough".  You say that until you've been a solider/sailor/airman/marine fighting for the United States.

Everybody has a trough.  The military, the healthcare system, the public libraries, national parks, highways, you name it.

25 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

OK...I don't see the administrators of public libraries going around driving a Lexus, but all right.

I believe library administrators around here make well over $100k per year, so, if they wanted a Lexus they could presumably have one.

edit to add, in Toronto the city librarian makes about $240k per year.

Edited by Argus

1 minute ago, Argus said:

I believe library administrators around here make well over $100k per year, so, if they wanted a Lexus they could presumably have one.

But they would be the equivalent of a Staff Officer.

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I wouldn't bet money on that.......that is assuming the military, including the State's Guards, are a monolithic beast......their last Civil War was fought by West Point grads on both sides of the conflict.........as to being pissed off, that's subjective, but if everything was peachy keen, groups like the Oath Keepers wouldn't exist......for reference sake, the Oath Keepers have tens of thousands of currently serving and retired members.......far larger then ISIS or the insurgency that kept the Americans at bay in Iraq.

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

the government will turn over the trough that everyone else feeds from to them before they let that happen. 

You have that wrong......if it were to be as dire as that, the Government wouldn't be turning over anything, segments of the military would have long ago taken it.

4 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

You have that wrong......if it were to be as dire as that, the Government wouldn't be turning over anything, segments of the military would have long ago taken it.

Well, at least I'm armed.  Let 'em come, the bastards!

5 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

would have to be slacking off pretty badly not to have that group well infiltrated.

The "group" is made up of serving members of all branches and law enforcement.......there is nothing to infiltrate.....actually, the inverse is so.

They have membership without any kind of background checks, according to Wiki.  I reckon they're not going to be a problem.

Edit> They remind of those guys who used to wander around New York and Los Angeles and such, threatening to protect people.  I forget what they were called.

Edited by bcsapper