Why Are We Still Using Cash ?

On 7/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

Is it really in the interests of the government to no longer have notes and coins? What about in the interest of banks and other financial institutions?

Takes money/resources to print money and to produce coins. It's all digital money these days.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So goes the argument, why not make things like coins?  I mean, it takes some effort - but they dig 150,000 ounces of gold every three months out of places like Malartic.  What else would you use it for.

I mean, if you have an overgrowing forest, why not make a nice deck and patio furniture out of it?  We are in a land of vast resources where we can actually produce real things from raw materials.  If we don't produce real things, then why bother producing anything at all, let the beavers have it all.

It is because a banana split takes effort to make which makes it valuable.  It is because a coin takes effort to make which makes it valuable.

If you don't like to carry coins or bills, simply don't use them.  If you are happy with digital credit and debit, go ahead and use it.  Its not like you are forced to pay your taxes in pounds of copper.  Although arguably, we all might be much better off if everyone was forced to pay their taxes in tonnage of copper.  Imagine if every millennial who owed $100 had to pay it back with 50 pounds of refined copper, it would be grueling - but in the long run could pave the way for great things - like everyone on the planet having access to electricity.

Edited by ZenOps

On 8/2/2017 at 8:14 AM, GostHacked said:

Takes money/resources to print money and to produce coins. It's all digital money these days.

Yeah but it benefits the cotton farmers of Georgia and South Carolina, for example, to have that paper money.  In fact, they're the reason we don't use dollar coins.

If the h.Clinton could win the elections, some countries were going to use mostly bitcoin in 2018. So they were planning to step further with bitcoin after dollar, the money correspondent, so the money illegal. Like producing some dollars in the color printer when you want to buy a new house. Now US govt's military side is trying to prevent it, their puppet on the scene is Trump. They want to start more and more wars in the countries near and over The Silk Road. Because the money barons planning to use bitcoin in these countries. The menagement centers İstanbul,  Johannesburg, Montreal, Aslana,  Caracas, Pekin and ofcourse London. All the Gulf Countries accepted to use bitcoin, Iran too.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, Altai said:

If the h.Clinton could win the elections, some countries were going to use mostly bitcoin in 2018. So they were planning to step further with bitcoin after dollar, the money correspondent, so the money illegal. Like producing some dollars in the color printer when you want to buy a new house. Now US govt's military side is trying to prevent it, their puppet on the scene is Trump. They want to start more and more wars in the countries near and over The Silk Road. Because the money barons planning to use bitcoin in these countries. The menagement centers İstanbul,  Johannesburg, Montreal, Aslana,  Caracas, Pekin and ofcourse London. All the Gulf Countries accepted to use bitcoin, Iran too.

I drive quite a bit for work and yesterday was deprived of my blue-tooth device, so I had to listen to rural radio. I picked up CBC and caught a 45 minute discussion by 3 “economists” as to how we could revive continuous 3% economic growth in this country. It was astonishing. They discussed the topic for a full 45 minutes without ever addressing either why we need 3% growth or how we could possibly grow exponentially for eternity.

These imbeciles started with the first strategy: increase immigration. That’s right, import a bunch of third-worlders under the presumption that they will have jobs and will produce rather than become parasites on an already over-burdened system of public welfare. By having more people, we would have more aggregate demand. So I suppose this strategy would result in increased aggregate GDP, but likely a decreased GDP per capita, something they never discussed or even considered.

The second strategy was to come up with some kind of new technology boom that would require every office in the country to buy this entirely new technology. Recognizing the past silicon valley booms, these numbskulls came up with the brilliant idea of inventing some unanticipated and unneeded technology (electric cars and self-driving cars were bandied about).

The third strategy was to increase aggregate worker “productivity.” This would entail doing things like increasing the retirement age and somehow putting everyone to work, regardless of whether he or she wants or needs to be employed.

I listened to that brainless tripe for the full 45 minutes and concluded we are soundly................

Back tot he subject of cash, I read that in the Netherlands, cash is not widely accepted; it's all debit cards.  apparently, banks charge for storage of cash so merchants charge extra when you pay with cash.  In Germany the situation is apparently different.

In Macro econ, we learned that physical money (coins and notes) are only 2% of the entire money supply.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

On 8/8/2017 at 2:18 AM, Altai said:

Altai, I don't know what you read in the media where you are, but some of your information is quite inaccurate. [sorry to get a little off topic, however.]   The military despises Donald Trump.  One of them was recently quoted as saying, in reference to the president's recent actions, "we don't take orders from Twitter."   The US military--contrary to what you hear in the Middle East about America and its military--don't like wars.  The civilians backing them do.  People who have to go fight wars personally don't tend to relish in starting them all too often.  Many have complained about Donald's most recent comments about North Korea.  Take note that Donald is a civilian, who has never done military service a day in his life.

The US military does NOT intervene in politics.  Coming from Turkey I can see how you would automatically assume that it does.  They [the US military]  do what they're told by their civilian masters, however much they may hate what they're told to do; their function is to follow orders from the civilian leadership even if they roll their eyes at it.  The US military has no desire to intervene in global economics.

By the way, it's called Beijing not Pekin.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

18 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Altai, I don't know what you read in the media where you are, but some of your information is quite inaccurate. [sorry to get a little off topic, however.]   The military despises Donald Trump.  One of them was recently quoted as saying, in reference to the president's recent actions, "we don't take orders from Twitter."   The US military--contrary to what you hear in the Middle East about America and its military--don't like wars.  The civilians backing them do.  People who have to go fight wars personally don't tend to relish in starting them all too often.  Many have complained about Donald's most recent comments about North Korea.  Take note that Donald is a civilian, who has never done military service a day in his life.

The US military does NOT intervene in politics.  Coming from Turkey I can see how you would automatically assume that it does.  They [the US military]  do what they're told by their civilian masters, however much they may hate what they're told to do; their function is to follow orders from the civilian leadership even if they roll their eyes at it.  The US military has no desire to intervene in global economics.

By the way, it's called Beijing not Pekin.

Here a recent example of how Pentagon involves in politics. 

http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/08/11/pentagon-just-responded-trumps-threat-attack-venezuela/

There are many examples, recently a US commander made a statement about Turkish politics, I searched but could not find the link. Maybe it was Germany, I dont know....

Edited by Altai

On 8/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, Altai said:

Here a recent example of how Pentagon involves in politics. 

http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/08/11/pentagon-just-responded-trumps-threat-attack-venezuela/

There are many examples, recently a US commander made a statement about Turkish politics, I searched but could not find the link. Maybe it was Germany, I dont know....

You've got that completely backwards.  The Pentagon in this situation was distancing itself from White House politics, not making policy.

5 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

You've got that completely backwards.  The Pentagon in this situation was distancing itself from White House politics, not making policy.

Itself ? So Pentagon is an independent authority than US government. 

They could only say "We will do whatever the decision is given by the government" if they are not an independent authority. We see that the army guys makes their own decisions.

Also just one day later another army commanders said that "We will attack Korea if the Trump want us to do so." 

So your claim fails in various points. Pentagon, especially some weapon companies directly has a saying in US politics. On the other hand, there are some families with huge amount of money.  They are figthing each other to complately rule US politics. Trump guy had much more different plans for US but he realized that he have to obey army guys if he want to survive.

5 hours ago, Altai said:

Itself ? So Pentagon is an independent authority than US government. 

They could only say "We will do whatever the decision is given by the government" if they are not an independent authority. We see that the army guys makes their own decisions.

Also just one day later another army commanders said that "We will attack Korea if the Trump want us to do so." 

So your claim fails in various points. Pentagon, especially some weapon companies directly has a saying in US politics. On the other hand, there are some families with huge amount of money.  They are figthing each other to complately rule US politics. Trump guy had much more different plans for US but he realized that he have to obey army guys if he want to survive.

No.  You've still got that confused.  I can understand why you'd think that, being from a country where the military has intervened in politics.  The military follows orders, but they also follow PROPER orders, not just orders issued from twitter.

And what does this have to do with cash vs. digital currency?

Edited by JamesHackerMP

Wow Thread Drift.

I actually like this topic because it has real world implications. 

Spent some time in Mexico using Pesos, largely for tipping and Duty Free purchases at the end. I'm also going to a trip in Montreal with friends this weekend and plan to use cash for recreational activities. 

But otherwise my use of cash is spotty at best. In fact, I actively avoid using cash because if I have cash in my pocket I'm likely to spend it. 

Edited by Boges

Besides, the Queen looks so cool on the money.

Pity no one used those silly "presidential" dollar coins  They actually stopped making them for general circulations because everyone hated them and no one used them. (Probably because the $1 note was never withdrawn, so people were never forced to use them.)

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, Boges said:

Wow Thread Drift.

I actually like this topic because it has real world implications. 

Spent some time in Mexico using Pesos, largely for tipping and Duty Free purchases at the end. I'm also going to a trip in Montreal with friends this weekend and plan to use cash for recreational activities. 

But otherwise my use of cash is spotty at best. In fact, I actively avoid using cash because if I have cash in my pocket I'm likely to spend it. 

But you have plenty to learn. People that support the Left are busy chasing mirages be they washrooms or statues or whatever. Many are useful idiots. But what they chase are all mirages designed to blind people to the fact that they are being robbed and the country is being looted.

Leaders of the Left are bought out by the Oligarchs and are fully on board with the globalist agenda of exploitation of 3rd world labor. This exploitation is done either by offshoring American industry or by on-shoring impoverished and desperate 3rd world workers.

Leftist leaders denigrate objectors as either racists or idiots too dumb to adapt to changing times.

This is to say that leaders of the Left are not Leftist. They are in the employ of Globalist-Oligarchs.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, GostHacked said:

A positive aspect of banning cashis that by taking away the means to shop by mail from those who still use cash, you also get to take away the post office, and our remaining means of untraceable communication. I’ve noticed for a while now, the Amazon workers using the USPS vehicles on Sundays. I believe the reason, one reason, for the government to take away the more affordable shipping option for overseas mail, is to force the consumers into using the electronic shopping option for the particular country you wish to ship to, which would most likely be Amazon.
This administration in particular likes to reward the corporations which do its bidding relating to social issues/politics. I notice Amazon had a nice little heartwarming ‘commercial’ out there, with two clerics, one Catholic and one Muslim, learning to get along or something. Amazon is going to soon be sending drones throughout your neighborhood, I wonder if we will get a heads up in order to make sure our kids and pets are safely indoors, or will we just wait for someone to be killed by one of those things. Then we can see our feeble politicians spring into action to save us from yet another danger they created. Probably require Amazon to do a PSA about the importance of looking up at all times.
Speaking of dangers they created, just how desperate will the people responsible for Syria/Aleppo become, as they know what they’ve done is going to be exposed. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men won’t be able to put shattered legacies back together again.

2 hours ago, Cum Laude said:

A positive aspect of banning cashis that by taking away the means to shop by mail from those who still use cash, you also get to take away the post office, and our remaining means of untraceable communication. I’ve noticed for a while now, the Amazon workers using the USPS vehicles on Sundays. I believe the reason, one reason, for the government to take away the more affordable shipping option for overseas mail, is to force the consumers into using the electronic shopping option for the particular country you wish to ship to, which would most likely be Amazon.
This administration in particular likes to reward the corporations which do its bidding relating to social issues/politics. I notice Amazon had a nice little heartwarming ‘commercial’ out there, with two clerics, one Catholic and one Muslim, learning to get along or something. Amazon is going to soon be sending drones throughout your neighborhood, I wonder if we will get a heads up in order to make sure our kids and pets are safely indoors, or will we just wait for someone to be killed by one of those things. Then we can see our feeble politicians spring into action to save us from yet another danger they created. Probably require Amazon to do a PSA about the importance of looking up at all times.
Speaking of dangers they created, just how desperate will the people responsible for Syria/Aleppo become, as they know what they’ve done is going to be exposed. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men won’t be able to put shattered legacies back together again.

I don't see what Syria, etc., has to do with the elimination of cash money in favor of digital.  But I do understand your concern over corporate interests intervening in political affairs.  I've found that money doesn't have much value unless it's stored in a bank's computers, that is, digital money.  You can't buy off Amazon with hundred dollar bills, you're exactly correct about that.  I might point out, however, that it's not just the current administration that does that.  This is something that has been going on for years.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

People hate coins because they don't want it associated with physical work.  If you can make and borrow a Billion dollars like Kanye for singing a song, why would you ever want physical money?  Millenials are brought up to hate coins because its a reminder that they may actually have to payback $100 with 50 pounds of copper (or worse yet, payback $100 with 1,000 pounds of iron).  Realistically that is the value of the physical world if you cannot convince people that you can sing for your supper, and eventually they figure out that only one in a million can actually sing for their supper.

Physical money becomes cumbersome, like how people in the 1930's complained that ounces of gold were too heavy and that $20 bills were far more useful for everyday trade of goods....  Hmm... figure that one out.

There is a small possibility that the US rejected the presidential $1 coin because people knew what value it was, which is about 6 cents.  If it was closer to say a pure Canadian nickel which is arguably worth 5 cents in metal value - then it may have taken off in value.  The sacagawea and presidential dollars would have been like releasing a one ounce gold coin with a stamped US dollar value of $20,000 each.  Which would be ridiculous trade value, because going into a car dealership, you should not be able to buy a luxury car with two one ounce gold coins.

Edited by ZenOps