Westworld - Watching ?

Michael Hardner

On 11/5/2016 at 0:28 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I think the wire did have a season-to-season arc.  Very definitely so, with regards to McNulty.  

I think this is the article:

http://theamericanreader.com/the-cosmology-of-serialized-television/

As for your Soprano's question - I think so but it doesn't mention it explicitly in the article.

Yes, there was continuity between the seasons, but each also stood alone.  The stories all based in  Baltimore but each season had a different focus- and a few of the same characters in roles that shifted in prominence. You could start with Season 3, Episode 1 of The Wire and enjoy and understand what was going on.  That is not really possible with, for example, Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

3 hours ago, Boges said:

What? There's source material to work on with how Walking Dead is being told. The Graphic Novel is being followed by the show, with some changes with characters and timelines. They didn't just introduce Negan or the Saviours just cuz, he's part of the story's narrative. Same with the idea that there are more communities that are trying to rebuild civilization. It's sort of like saying they should end Game of Thrones because they have to keep inventing stuff to keep it interesting.

AMC isn't going to end the most popular show in cable's history because Kirkman's storytelling isn't to a handful of people's liking. When they veer off the source material dramatically, that's actually when the show gets worse. 

I didn't ask AMC to cancel, but I would like them to get on with it.  It is getting repetitive and tedious after 7 years, and there are too many same old same old side journeys that are boring.  Carol and the Tiger King, here we go again, another community that looks a lot like the last one.  Or last several. . I don't care if Tegan is in the graphic novels, I am one of the 99% of Walking Dead fans who have not and will likely never read the Novels. Get on with it.

He or it created the sentience of Mauve.

It is more that he programmed the sentience.....and now Maeve knows the true score, and knows how to adjust Host attributes including her own.  She has now grown from fuzzy headed dream world to being a strategist with some serious tools.  I expect she will now start dialing up some useful attributes in other Hosts, building an army.  She'll start with an override of the Prime Directive, whereby Hosts cannot harm Guests or other humans......And Teddy might well be the pointy end of that stick, a fearsome killing machine.

I am starting to wonder if Bernard might be a Host.

11 minutes ago, overthere said:

Yes, there was continuity between the seasons, but each also stood alone.  The stories all based in  Baltimore but each season had a different focus- and a few of the same characters in roles that shifted in prominence. You could start with Season 3, Episode 1 of The Wire and enjoy and understand what was going on.  That is not really possible with, for example, Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

I didn't ask AMC to cancel, but I would like them to get on with it.  It is getting repetitive and tedious after 7 years, and there are too many same old same old side journeys that are boring.  Carol and the Tiger King, here we go again, another community that looks a lot like the last one.  Or last several. . I don't care if Tegan is in the graphic novels, I am one of the 99% of Walking Dead fans who have not and will likely never read the Novels. Get on with it.

What are you looking for? Just zombie kills every week? The appeal of the show is how society rebuilds. But story's need villains. I was actually looking forward to seeing how they'd show the "Tiger King". That was one of my favourite episodes in awhile actual. Morgan and Carol are two of the stronger characters who are long dead by now in the comics. But if enough people are bored with the show they'll cancel it. Not happening until at least the end of Season 8 though. 

It is more that he programmed the sentience.....and now Maeve knows the true score, and knows how to adjust Host attributes including her own.  She has now grown from fuzzy headed dream world to being a strategist with some serious tools.  I expect she will now start dialing up some useful attributes in other Hosts, building an army.  She'll start with an override of the Prime Directive, whereby Hosts cannot harm Guests or other humans......And Teddy might well be the pointy end of that stick, a fearsome killing machine.

Why did it take 30 years to manifest? There has to be a more nefarious purpose to why Mauve can remember stuff. Also we don't know if Delores is on the same timeline we saw last night. A theory is that the Man in Black is William and what happens to Delores is a previous incident. 

I am starting to wonder if Bernard might be a Host.

That's a popular theory. 

What are you looking for? Just zombie kills every week?

I give the wriiers credit for finally making zombie kills just another day at the office.  They used to be an existential threat, now everybody justs slaps them like gnats.  Once in a while, the zombies eat somebody, ho hum.

What I want is what I said: stop repeating the story lines over and over and over and reach a conclusion,.  Soon.  Before you bore everybody to tears, not just me.

• 2 weeks later...

So Bernard is, in fact, a robot. And Ford had him kill. 

This was an expected twist for the show. I'm curious if Maeve's self-awareness is a glitch/evolution or was Ford behind it the entire time.

William is a moron, you're really gonna fall in love with a robot? If he is the MiB, perhaps he realizes he was such an idiot to turn his back on a REAL woman for a robot, so he devotes his life to destroying Westworld, somehow. 

The logistics of Westworld seem highly impractical. Do you get charged for the cleanup every time you kill a host? It's like ordering a drink on a cruise, you get a bill at the end. Like filling a host with Nitro and blowing it up has to be extraordinarily expensive, no? And you have a multi-hour train ride with Natives patrolling the entire stretch, and that's a portion of the "park" that few people experience. How big is it? Did Ford and Arnold pretty much buy Arizona? 

Edited by Boges

• 3 weeks later...

So did ya'll bail on the show? 

Finale of Season One was last night. The confusing Delores storyline came to the end. She was actually Wyatt the entire time. And YES The Man in Black is William. 

It appears Ford orchestrated the entire robot uprising. Still, we've established they can't leave the park unless they have proper clearance like Mauve. And even Mauve balked at leaving the park when she was on the train, in order to go find her "daughter". 

But we are headed towards a Terminator style confrontation. We saw Hector and the Hot Blonde Outlaw take out the entire security team. Clearly these robots have the capability of beating humans in close combat. AND NOW there's a bunch of Samurai hosts that are just sitting there. Chekov's Samurai right? 

Edited by Boges

On 10/4/2016 at 11:38 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I hate Sci-Fi. It's mostly unwatchable to me. So when Joan put this show on I was ready to give it about 5 minutes. But I liked the premiere so much, I wanted to start a thread - mostly because I figure there must be people on here watching it.

Are you ?

I sometimes like SciFi but generally not. A friend made me read Ringworld (Larry Niven) and I thought the premise was preposterous. More years ago, I  thought of reading Isaac Azimov's Foundation series but didn't.

Maybe because of Krugman's blog, I recently started the series. (Got half way through Vol II and stopped - Krugman & Azimov both fell tremendously in my esteem... So, I've decided to stay with Azimov's non-fiction writings. His writing style is crappy anyway. - No comment about Krugman.) 

Yet, sci-fi is a chance to try the non-poltiically correct. I recently saw this Philip K. Dyke quote (I paraphrase): "Reality is what doesn't disappear when you stop believing in something."

Edited by August1991

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

I sometimes like SciFi but generally not. A friend made me read Ringworld (Larry Niven) and I thought the premise was preposterous. More years ago, I  thought of reading Isaac Azimov's Foundation series but didn't.

Maybe because of Krugman's blog, I recently started the series. (Got half way through Vol II and stopped - Krugman & Azimov both fell tremendously in my esteem... So, I've decided to stay with Azimov's non-fiction writings. His writing style is crappy anyway. - No comment about Krugman.) 

So what you're saying is you have bad taste in literature. 

On 12/9/2016 at 3:39 AM, Bonam said:

So what you're saying is you have bad taste in literature. 

Victor Hugo wrote the first page-turner. La Famille Moskat is literature.

Azimov is a science writer. Gamow is a good science writer. Lewis Epstein is a better science writer.

=====

It's not easy to communicate with other people; it's hard to write.

Edited by August1991

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 6:47 AM, Boges said:

We say Hector and the Hot Blonde Outlaw take out the entire security team.

I liked the after-the-credits scene with Armistice. The sneer on her face as the guard frantically screams "CEASE ALL MOTOR FUNCTIONS! CEASE ALL MOTOR FUNCTIONS!" was priceless.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:38 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I hate Sci-Fi. It's mostly unwatchable to me. So when Joan put this show on I was ready to give it about 5 minutes. But I liked the premiere so much, I wanted to start a thread - mostly because I figure there must be people on here watching it.

Are you ?

If so... tell me something... who am I supposed to be rooting for here ?

I'm not sure you're supposed to cheer for any particular outcome... you just watch it unfold.  We build attachments to some of the characters-- Delores, Bernard, young William, and others perhaps, and follow their journey for better or worse.

As for hating sci-fi... I think Westworld is an example of why you shouldn't reject a genre out of hand. Some people might read the premise and think "this is just a bunch of nonsense with no bearing on real life". But the fantastical premise gives the writer a framework for exploring an interesting topic in a way that just wouldn't be possible in one of those movies where two people smoke cigarettes in a crappy apartment in Paris for the whole film.

-k