Lacrosse

I never played sports in my life, but recently developed a fascination with lacrosse. With ADHD I cannot sit and watch a whole game of anything, lacrosse or US football (speaking of which I was on this one date where I had to sit through an entire Ravens game, OMJG!) but lacrosse is a little easier to watch if you miss something because it's going so fast and there's so much action anyway.

I understand that "modern" lacrosse is the result of an Anglophone dentist from Montreal (good profession for a champion of a sport where teeth could potentially be knocked out?) and that it's Canada's official sport, second only to hockey.

I just think it looks more fun than other sports. If I was not the kind of person who can by the Grace of God tie my own shoes and wipe my own *** without help AND had athletic skills, I think it's the one I would have chosen.

Anyone here into it? Is it widely played at Canadian high schools and universities? I'm talking about the field version, though, not box lacrosse (which looks just as interesting). I come from Maryland, which is America's lacrosse capital, give or take.

Lacrosse is gaining popularity in the Midwest United States, and the Big 10 schools that have men's/women's teams have been suffering consistent beat downs at the hands of more experienced east coast programs like Maryland, Hopkins, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. The Terps are infamous for having the best season performances and worst NCAA Final Four record of any team.

High schools are experiencing growth as well, despite increasing concerns about concussions. Anybody who has played the game knows about the speed and hardness of the ball. Head strikes with the helmet should also be banned IMHO. Some women's leagues don't even wear protective helmets, just eye protection.

I filmed (8mm) my highly recruited roommate blowing out his knee in the 1970's playing lacrosse against Hopkins. He was never the same after that, and left school soon after surgery.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I've spent more hours than I can count watching (and occasionally coaching) lacrosse. My son played both box and field lacrosse right through to Jr A. His team went to the nationals a few times. Not a game for the timid.

Box Lacrosse is a LOT more popular in the prairies than field. There was a lot of competition to make the A league teams and the provincial teams in box, but the field team basically consisted of anyone who wanted to play. There is a high school league here, but it's pretty small compared to the private club league.

I'm surprised that the game hasn't caught on more widely both in North-America and worldwide as it is definitely more entertaining and watchable than American football.

Having said that, doesn't the game suffer from a reputation of being something of a girls' game?

I'm surprised that the game hasn't caught on more widely both in North-America and worldwide as it is definitely more entertaining and watchable than American football.

Having said that, doesn't the game suffer from a reputation of being something of a girls' game?

Actually the game is rougher than hockey but with less protection. I think the problem is that it is not an easy to watch on TV sport. You cannot see where the ball is when passed (ball is small and dark) and when player is carrying the ball you cannot see it. And that is rink Lacrosse. Field Lacrosse is even more difficult to follow because of the size of the field.

If it is no good for TV is has little chance of getting popular.

In US college perhaps, but the only girls that I've ever seen play lacrosse around Manitoba and Saskatchewan were those who managed to make the boys team. I'm not sure if girls lacrosse has different rules, but the game my son payed (especially the indoor version) was one so rough that it's definitely considered a "real man" sport around here.

Perhaps the association in your mind is because of field hockey being usually assumed to be a women's sport? (maybe I'm mixing that up just as equally though).

Actually the game is rougher than hockey but with less protection. I think the problem is that it is not an easy to watch on TV sport. You cannot see where the ball is when passed (ball is small and dark) and when player is carrying the ball you cannot see it. And that is rink Lacrosse. Field Lacrosse is even more difficult to follow because of the size of the field.

If it is no good for TV is has little chance of getting popular.

It's impossible to over-state how rough the game is, especially the indoor (box) version. You learn a lot about the Canadian healthcare system if you have a kid that plays. So many things that aren't even a penalty in lacrosse would get you suspended in hockey. A guy is carrying the ball towards your net? Not only are you 'allowed' to slash his arms, you're SUPPOSED to just keep hacking to try to make him drop it. Cross checking is fine, punching is fine, intentionally hitting someone with the ball is fine. As long as the stick is below shoulder height, and you take less than a two foot back swing, you are allowed to carry out some seriously vicious assaults.

The official ball is white, but you're right about it being hard to follow. Everyone has their sticks up and is running in patterns, and the ball is literally invisible when being carried in the stick. It takes a pretty good knowledge of the game to be able to just enjoy watching lacrosse on TV. It doesn't help that the pro league (NLL) uses it's own set of rules that is a combination of field and box, with some added goodies that neither use -- so even then you're unlikely to really be able to enjoy it right away. It's too fast, too complicated, and the announcers don't dumb it down enough for casual viewers. Their colour commentators need to spend more time explaining what happened from a rules perspective rather than from a skills perspective.