Is pro-choice a rational position?

betsy

From what I read (in about 3 seconds of looking) is the only physical implications are an increased risk of obesity. Even then, there was no evidence that it was actually a result of physical changes due to pregnancy.

My bigger worry is WHO gets to make the choice. If a 10 year old isn't competent to make that choice, does it fall to her guardians? (Not the parents in this case.......) Does a judge decide?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read (in about 3 seconds of looking) is the only physical implications are an increased risk of obesity. Even then, there was no evidence that it was actually a result of physical changes due to pregnancy.

My bigger worry is WHO gets to make the choice. If a 10 year old isn't competent to make that choice, does it fall to her guardians? (Not the parents in this case.......) Does a judge decide?

My comment was more rhetorical in nature and you should have spent more than 3 seconds. Pregnant girls under 15 face dramatically higher risks of complications including enclampsia, fistula, obstructed labour and maternal death. 15 is dangerous and every year under that greatly increases the mother's chance of death.

But hey, let's force a 10 year old to birth a child...she new the risks when she got raped, right?

Edited by Guest

Ok, So if this 10 year old who got raped wants to keep it?

People do stupid things all the time that are against their own interest. I'm still leaning towards the 10 year old being able to make the choice.

The girl and her mother did make a choice. Look into the case. The state wouldn't allow it because religious nuts got their way. Edited by cybercoma

This case study isn't the point though. Is an illustration of what happens when a government bows to betsy's beliefs and in fact has an even more liberal interpretation than Betsy. Paraguay actually allows some abortions. Betsy wouldn't allow any. The OP claimed pro-choice was irrational so I'm merely providing an example of betsy's anti-choice beliefs taken to their rational ends,

Edited by cybercoma

She's healthy! She may be too young to be a mother, but she's healthy!

Just like all religious fanatics, the only consideration is what YOU consider to be moral. To hell with compassion, empathy or even humanity. If YOU think God said it (whether he did or not), everyone MUST obey. We let people like you start dictating morals, it'll be no time at all till we have Morality Squads going around and enforcing God's will with guns. Doesn't matter if the god who-must-be-obeyed is called Allah or Jehovah.

Edited by dialamah

Just like all religious fanatics, the only consideration is what YOU consider to be moral. To hell with compassion, empathy or even humanity. If YOU think God said it (whether he did or not), everyone MUST obey. We let people like you start dictating morals, it'll be no time at all till we have Morality Squads going around and enforcing God's will with guns. Doesn't matter if the god who-must-be-obeyed is called Allah or Jehovah.

Just like relativists in this self-absorbed generation, the only consideration is what YOU consider to be moral.

To hell with compassion, empathy or even humanity. To hell that both the girl and her child are both victims in this scenario.

The only thing that matters is the fight for...........abortion. Right?

Just like relativists in this self-absorbed generation, the only consideration is what YOU consider to be moral.

To hell with compassion, empathy or even humanity. To hell that both the girl and her child are both victims in this scenario.

The only thing that matters is the fight for...........abortion. Right?

Allowing someone autonomy over their own body seems like a decent thing to do. Making them do something they don't want to, not so much.

I can see it if they are criminals, or employees, but just folks? Nah.

• 2 weeks later...