Brexit Investment Opportunities - never waste a crisis

Okay...the expected Brexit drama is well underway and there is opportunity during the big sell off...financials have been hit the hardest. Let's discuss investment opportunities resulting from the political and economic uncertainty caused by Brexit, and the risk of a follow on Dexit, Frexit, or Spexit. Short term Brexit plays will be easier than predicting the very negative impact of a longer term EU collapse.

The first obvious notion is a British Pound ETF, like FXB:

https://finance.yahoo.com/q;_ylt=AqZSGX4pX3Qmue5ju79mQAonv7gF?uhb=uhb2&fr=uh3_finance_vert_gs&type=2button&s=FXB

The British Pound had already been beat up since January, and is now at a 30 year low vs. USD.

Time to make some money folks !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Let's discuss investment opportunities resulting from the political and economic uncertainty caused by Brexit, and the risk of a follow on Dexit, Frexit, or Spexit. Short term Brexit plays will be easier than predicting the very negative impact of a longer term EU collapse.

Lots of investment opportunities in a possible Texit too.

So, specifically, are you shorting the pound or waiting for it to settle and looking for a rebound?

As a long term investor I am watching European banks and should EUFN settle in below $11.83 then I will being to accumulate.

So, specifically, are you shorting the pound or waiting for it to settle and looking for a rebound?

I am waiting for an entry point to buy before the expected rebound. Technicals had already bottomed before the Brexit vote...pound was a poor performer all year.

Banking and financial stocks are also ripe per your observation.

Until the actual exit plan is formalized, uncertainty will continue. The EU will strive to contain the exit contagion with more helicopter money.

Okay...the expected Brexit drama is well underway and there is opportunity during the big sell off...financials have been hit the hardest. Let's discuss investment opportunities resulting from the political and economic uncertainty caused by Brexit...

I'm abroad, in a different time zone, and I looked at the numbers.

In general, I don't time the market. But sometimes, I do. This time is no different from my general view.

======

The Western (Leftist) MSM is making a big deal of this. It's not. As they say, this is not even a "two sigma event".

Edited by August1991

I'm abroad, in a different time zone, and I looked at the numbers.

In general, I don't time the market. But sometimes, I do. This time is no different from my general view.

I love to time the market....challenge is that you have to be right...twice. Brexit in and of itself may not be a bear market event, but the prospect of further EU collapse could be enough to send markets plummeting further.

I don't generally "time the market", but what I do do is invest new capital on the dips. I've found this to generate a slightly better return than simply investing a fixed amount on a periodic basis. The S&P500 is only down about 5% so far due to Brexit, from the recent peak, not meeting my threshold of a 10% decline to start putting more money in. Sadly, I don't have any capital to invest anyway, as I just bought a house...

I went long today on a few U.S. banking stocks that were oversold even before the Brexit vote, and discounted after. Dividends are nice too.

Keep some powder dry (new capital) for investment opportunities that come along.

Pound has stabilized today, but may go as low as $1.20 USD.

I have reaped far greater rewards by timing the market than by gambling in Las Vegas. With Brexit one can gamble with house money.

b_c, speculative/arbitrage profits are earned in specific markets.

You can possibly "time the market" if you "know" the specific market more than others. (eg. My brother-in-law is a real estate agent and he knows parts of the Laval market very well - far more than me.)

=====

If b_c, you think that you know (more than others) what effect "Brexit" will have on any specific market, good luck in getting rich on your knowledge!

Edited by August1991

b_c, speculative/arbitrage profits are earned in specific markets.

You can possibly "time the market" if you "know" the specific market more than others. (eg. My brother-in-law is a real estate agent and he knows parts of the Laval market very well - far more than me.)

Specific knowledge is helpful, but not necessary to take advantage of blatant overselling and panic, whether from global events (war/terrorism), capital market meltdowns (2008), or other "capitulation" (recession). My mutual fund management firms actually cap the number of transfers and conversions I am permitted each quarter/year to discourage "timing the market" with defensive sideline parking and offensive buying at the bottom of cycles. E*Trade is much more flexible in this regard, but fees are higher.

If b_c, you think that you know (more than others) what effect "Brexit" will have on any specific market, good luck in getting rich on your knowledge!

As stated earlier, my objective is not to become rich. I only need to preserve/protect retirement assets from inflation and tax liabilities when added to pension income. Brexit is proving to be a minor fart in the wind, but I will track pound sterling as it goes lower for a buying opportunity.

What about Britain's trade deficit? Doesn't that point to an already overvalued currency?

I have made a small amount of money from some rapidly declining stocks, e.g. Nortel, Irish banks, by pure luck (a similar strategy came a cropper with Air Canada). In neither case was I aware of the scale of 'creative accounting' going on.

My big fear with Brexit is contagion. If the EU begins to break up, we would be in the locale formerly known as Queer Street.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Buy low...sell high.

Agreed.

This happens because there is risk. It is just that some of us are willing to take the risk and others aren't.

Sometimes we win, other times we lose.

Just has to be more net winning than losing and it's all good.

This happens because there is risk. It is just that some of us are willing to take the risk and others aren't.

Sometimes we win, other times we lose.

The "risk" of "timing the market"?

To me, risk has a different meaning. Others refer to it as "volatility".

"Timing the market"? To me, that requires special, insider information.