Canadaland #137 - I Stand With Gawker

Hi all - although I'm not posting here as much, I always promoted new media journalism here and Canadaland in particular. As such, I'm going to post some Canadaland episodes and - since Canadaland doesn't have comment threads - invite people to comment on Canadaland episodes here at MLW.

This week's episode examines the case that Gawker is not part of celebrity culture, but is actually journalism that comments on celebrity culture.

http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/i-stand-gawker

So this is really just another thread about United States media ? Big surprise !

no - it's a thread speaking to the OPs continuing interest in, 'new media journalism'... and it's foundation relies upon Canadaland (a news site focused on media criticism and media reporting) - and one particular episode. There is suggestion that there will be subsequent episodes forthcoming; in that regard, it's not clear (to me) if this thread will carry forward with all episodes or each will present within it's own thread.

there's one particular statement that caught my eye as reflects upon the 'tiff' between Gawker and the Toronto Star and controlling the Rob Ford "Crackgate" narrative... with a direct reference to Canada (you know, the "passive aggressive" nation): "…it seems to me that there’s probably a connection between this inclination toward right thinking and good behavior and the fact that this monstrous thug of a bully was able to seize power… You know, in the land of the passive aggressive, the truly aggressive is king." I'm somewhat inclined to twisto-chango a few words in that statement and point it directly at your ongoing shtick here on MLW... but I'd just get another mod warning!

overall I'm left with a change in perception on Gawker (where I'd dismissed it completely in the past as just another pap-vehicle for celebrity trash writing)... although I did like it's expose on Trump's hair - I really was wanting to bring that gem forward in the now dispatched, "Trump man-baby" thread, but I obviously missed my window! In any case, if you follow links within that Canadaland episode you can find your way back to another insightful piece (again, from Gawker) that speaks to media writings that project, "snark versus smarm, the tools of the smarmer, positivity versus negativity - no haters allowed, etc..". An interesting read... like I said, I too readily dismissed Gawker and now somewhat appreciate those who have taken to "standing with Gawker in it's right to print low-brow articles... even the sleeze", over the covert actions taken by billionaire Peter Thiel (outed by Gawker) to, as some are saying, "force Gawker out of business"... not to, at all, support that outing of Thiel.

as for your quoted statement above... ya, ya - "Big Surprise" on your summary judgement of the thread. Big Surprise! :lol:

I thought Gawker was toast after the big lawsuit award?

They are appealing the award. In the tech sector, many companies just pay up these big jury awards and move on because time is even bigger money but in this case the award is basically the company.

Gawker Media now stands in Chapter 11 bankruptcy:

The online news organization founded in 2003 by Nick Denton which now includes other sites like Deadspin, Jezebel and Kotaku, reports that it has less than $100 million in assets and hundreds of millions in liabilities. Gawker is currently facing a wrath of litigation that's been connected to Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel. Besides the Hogan suit, there are claims from a journalist and the alleged inventor of e-mail who both say they were defamed. Gawker is also facing off against the parent company of Daily Mail in court and was hit with a copyright lawsuit this week over a photograph of an Uber car.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/gawker-media-files-chapter-11-901536

Not so funny anymore....