Harper speaks at Conservative Convention

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It speaks more about their platforms than my priorities actually.

Sorry, not sorry, you're offended about the flag.

Of course you are not, you need to understand what word respect means, which is missing in today's world.

• 3 months later...

I think Harper's words were his worst enemy. In many cases, even when I agreed with his policy, I cringed at his verbal attacks against the opposition. He always semed to have a battle or war mentality against the other parties.

If you compare with Trudeau, even when I disagree with his policies and his words are fluff, he still knows how to choose his words to come across as friendlier and more consiliatory. I think the Conservatives can learn from that. Combine good policy with kind words, and the Conservative Party can go far.

Oh, and drop the identity politics, please. The Conservative strength is on the economy, not on how someone dresses at a citizenship ceremony.

And consistency. Free trade requires more immigration. The two go hand in hand. So it's important to have more open borders to make a free economy flourish. Again, it comes back to ethnic identity politics.

Ideally, Canada should become one big Hong Kong with open borders.

The Conservative strength is on the economy, not on how someone dresses at a citizenship ceremony.

When you lead a country that has many decades of positive and increasing foreign trade surplus, and bring us into a consistent negative foreign trade situation, I would say you lack any credibility on the economy.

When you lead a country that has many decades of positive and increasing foreign trade surplus, and bring us into a consistent negative foreign trade situation, I would say you lack any credibility on the economy.

Do you think the Canadian economy exists inside a bubble? Or are you just being obtuse?

Edited by Smoke

Harper was weak on the economy no doubt, but in comparative terms, he still did better on the economic front. On immigration, foreign policy, citizenship, and identity, he came across as hyper-authoritatian.

So it was Harper's fault there was a world wide recession and the price of oil dropped?

Same, and the new plan seems to be to make it worse with things like carbon taxes.

Let me know when the government introduces a carbon tax.

You're a couple of hypocrites. Harper wasn't responsible for the economy, but Trudeau is.

Let me know when the government introduces a carbon tax.

You're a couple of hypocrites. Harper wasn't responsible for the economy, but Trudeau is.

Really? What about our existing economic circumstances have I blamed on Trudeau?

Trade deficit was years before the price of oil dropped. China was roaring along early in the recession, 16%+ growth rate.

So Harper caused the recession then?

If you can't point to any policy of the Harper government which caused a thing then attributing it to them is moronic.

So Harper caused the recession then?

If you can't point to any policy of the Harper government which caused a thing then attributing it to them is moronic.

Yes, Steve was wholly responsible for the global recession that crippled nearly every country on the planet except Canada and Australia. It was part of his Secret Agenda.

I recall headlines from that time of Harper being lauded by British and German leaders of the day for his economic leadership.........

But history gets rewritten in just a few years.

I recall headlines from that time of Harper being lauded by British and German leaders of the day for his economic leadership.........

He was being lauded for having our banking system not fail, of course they didn`t realize that while he was in opposition he argued for the same lax regulations that caused the American banking system to go tits up.

Yes, Steve was wholly responsible for the global recession that crippled nearly every country on the planet except Canada and Australia. It was part of his Secret Agenda.

But history gets rewritten in just a few years.

Hidden agenda,not secret. :)

He was being lauded for having our banking system not fail, of course they didn`t realize that while he was in opposition he argued for the same lax regulations that caused the American banking system to go tits up.

And did he change it when in power and if it was, would our banks have failed??

He didn`t have time to change it after gaining power, becuase the US system exploded shortly thereafter. Hid did however give our banks a $120 billion bailout anyway.

Another lie, and from you! Who would have thought it. We did not give the banks 120 bln.

Your willingness to distort seemingly everything either against the conservatives or for the liberals is incredibly scummy.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/did-canadian-banks-receive-a-secret-bailout

Sorry, $114 billion, my bad. Are you going to put the Flaherty “liquidity support” support spin on it so you can avoid calling it a bailout?

This is all an interesting diversion, but I'm still waiting for your list of Harper policies which damaged our economy.

This is all an interesting diversion, but I'm still waiting for your list of Harper policies which damaged our economy.

His single minded focus on selling oil (which he failed at miserably) decimated our manufacturing sector, and when the dollar finally returned to normal it was too late to rebuild.

Impact the manufacturing sector was destroy by the ONT liberals. 300,000 jobs gone for a stupid green energy policy. That is why we cant even take advantage of the low American dollar.Nice try.

Edited by PIK