Academy Awards Best Picture 2016

August1991

W. T. F.

Mind being more specific? I'd like to know exactly what features about black people you find unattractive.

To me it seemed like he was trying to find a business related decision 'why' black are under-represented.

My counter-point which he never acknowledge, was that awards aren't given to the film's audience, but the film's production.

As Cyber said though, at last a couple of white people got nominated for the screenplay for Straight Outta Compton.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched a lot of them - on video or VOD. I just won't pay 20 bucks for Selma, 12 years a slave, The color purple, Macomb X or The Help etc. Sure you have some good police or crime movies like New Jack City or American Gangster - both of which I loved, but the soft dramas like the ones I mentioned do not compel me to open my wallet. And, I'm not alone.

So when it's historical racism, you don't like it because it makes you 'feel bad' for some reason. And you don't like the soft-dramas because they're not your thing, and the gangster movies you can watch on DVD.

That's all great in Hal-Land, but over at the Awards shows, it's about the performances of the actors, the overall production, directing, and a whole lot of other stuff.

You can't tell me that just because you don't like 'black' movies because 'they might touch on race', that they're all made too badly and the performances are just too awful to get nominations.

Or is that what you're saying?

So when it's historical racism, you don't like it because it makes you 'feel bad' for some reason. And you don't like the soft-dramas because they're not your thing, and the gangster movies you can watch on DVD.

That's all great in Hal-Land, but over at the Awards shows, it's about the performances of the actors, the overall production, directing, and a whole lot of other stuff.

You can't tell me that just because you don't like 'black' movies because 'they might touch on race', that they're all made too badly and the performances are just too awful to get nominations.

Or is that what you're saying?

I think you're mixing up two different topics. I never spoke to the idea of wether or not "black" movies or actors deserve awards. And, I don't refuse to watch these movies, I'm just not willing to shell out 20$ (or $40 if I go with my wife) to see them.

I think you're mixing up two different topics. I never spoke to the idea of wether or not "black" movies or actors deserve awards.

Clearly you're posting in the wrong thread then, we're discussing academy awards here and the big issue this year (again) was lack of black nominations.

And the schlock comes mostly from the 90% white men who call the shots. The occasional gem comes from an indie film

No, that is another generalization that is simply not true.

I am an indiscriminate movie watcher. I watch nearly antyhing, within reason. I don't watch Lars Von Trier because he is a pretentious idiot. I don't watch many musicals because I get a little edgy when people break randomly into chirping, onscreen or in real life. I rarely watch Bollywood, because.... it sucks. I far prefer subtitles over dubs.

And I watch a load of indie and mainstream movies, at the theater.

And you can take these things to the bank: sometimes indie movies are at least as stupid and vapid as 'Hollywood' movies, which I guess means movies intended for a wide audience, like they have marketing budgets. On the other hand, both sources produce some very good films. (and some total turkeys). The internet and especially widespread cable production has increased the number of movies that actually have an audience, which means that we are right now in a Golden Age of cinema.

There is a lot of quality out there, and of course with a greatly increased volume there is also a lot of lesser quality.

Movies cost a lot to produce. If that means that wealthy people, nemely old white men, are to blame or responsible for financing so many these days, I am not complaining. I like having this much choice.

Clearly you're posting in the wrong thread then, we're discussing academy awards here and the big issue this year (again) was lack of black nominations.

This is about academy awards and movies. I think I'm still in the spectrum of that topic, in fact "the black nominations" issue is just a side bar to the thread.

And, your post is very rude.

I think that issue is very closely related to the question of why aren't there more good roles for non-white actors.

I think one thing to mention is that the studios aren't totally ignoring black audiences. There have been a number of comedy movies over recent years, from people like Tyler Perry and the Wayans brothers among others, that are intended to appeal to black viewers. There have been date-night type romance movie intended to appeal to black viewers as well. They've been fairly successful at it... movies made on a modest budget that find a niche that isn't that well served. These light romances and comedies aren't the kind of movies that get attention at the Oscars, regardless of the target audience.

-k

Sure, let's make sure that American movies represent their population. This year I will be checking every movie I watch and note if generally, proportionately employs people relative to: Hispanic whites 63%, Hispanics 17%, Blacks 12%, Asians 2.5%, multiracial 2.5%. Oh yes, and a few aboriginals too, oh - and 50% women and ...