Somebody is lying

about the process.....

This is what the Alberta Energy Minister was quoted as saying today in the Financial Post:

“The federal government has assured us that existing pipeline applications to the NEB – specifically Trans Mountain and Energy East – will not have to go back to square one, regardless of any potential changes to the NEB,” Alberta Energy Minister Marg McCuaig-Boyd said in an emailed statement.

“We are asking that the federal government make sure the approval process for existing pipeline proposals proceed as quickly as possible, without any undue delay. The strength of the Canadian economy depends on us getting this right,” she said.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/national-energy-board-doing-inadequate-job-of-tracking-whether-pipelines-meet-approval-conditions?__lsa=9708-2976

and Prime Minister Trudeau/Natural Resoruces Minster are quoted today:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says pipeline plans such as the controversial Energy East must win community support and meet stronger environmental standards if they are to proceed.........Trudeau said he plans a new environmental regulatory regime for pipeline approvals, including examining projects for their greenhouse gas emissions. Trudeau stressed it’s up to TransCanada, not the federal government, to convince Canadians of the merits of its Energy East pipeline pitch.

“The federal role is to put into place a process by which TransCanada and any other company could demonstrate that their projects are in the public interest and could have public support,” Trudeau told reporters.

“What we are going to roll out very soon, as we promised in our election campaign, is to establish a clear process which will consider all the greenhouse gas emissions tied to a project, which will build on the work already done.”

Advertisement[/size]

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr said the government is working on a “transition” process for pipeline projects already under National Energy Board review – such as Energy East and Kinder Morgan’s proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion – that will be announced in a “few days.” The new environmental assessment rules will apply to Energy East and other projects currently under NEB review.

I wish we has a poll function here to get some takes on which one of these parties are liars.

And The Trudeau Long Con is pretty clear now.

1. Create delays of a few years on the regulatory framework. Nothing at all can proceed on current files like Energy East until the NEB is told what it must do on behalf of the federal government.

2. Set impossible regulatory standards for the applicants. No corporation can determine what is in the overall national interest, since the merits and demerits of a major project intersect so many areas including poltical, as we have seen recently.

3. Delay the actual review process as long as possible via the NEB. The review process itself will take years or decades, using the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline review as a guiding light, a way to ensure nothing ever gets done.

4. Watch the politicians emerge soon, in cautious support of these 'important national infrastructure programs'. I fully expect Coulliard, Sellinger and Clark to come out soon in bland generalized statements of support for Energy East. They all know that with an amended NEB process that applies to existing projects there is no possibility of approval for many years, if at all. They can safely play both sides of the fence, which is a happy place for all polticians. They can join Trudeau, Wynne and likely Notley who are already there.

The target of this new process, which has been clearly lied about by guess who, is the energy sector in general.

What is the actual impact of this country refusing to build, or rather allow the private sector to build, essential export capacity?

In the short term, it means that our oil production is largely shut in, we have nowhere to export it except the USA and via the USA. The USA no longer really wants or needs our oil, as their domestic production soars and they can now legally export oil and are doing just that to Europe and Asia(markets we once considered as market possibilities for our own oil).

In the long term, it means that global energy companies will continue to abandon Canada as a place to invest. It is not about price, since price can and will rebound in the cycle. It is simply that they now know that Canada is a place that is not friendly for investment. Private money, not public, builds refineries, drills wells and builds pipelines. But they need our permission, and they now know it won't happen.

And all that is required for it not to happen, is to delay, because capital is not static. And there is oil, and opportunity .elsewhere. I reckon Trudeau thinks he has 'social license' to shut down, thoroughly and comprehensively, a major segment of our economy and a big source of export earnings and taxc revenue to his government. I await his expose of what will replace that crucial element in our joint future. But I won't be holding my breath

Maybe tomorrow we;ll examine Trudaus claim that we are open for business, in light of his recent 'statements.'....

It's a new government and the people have talk to each other and just like the HARPER government, mistakes, accidents in speech, whatever u want to call them happen. Trudeau is right that the Company has to give Canada the trust that the pipelines won't spill and today, they can't and any Premier would have the same concerns as the Mayor of Montreal. They need to make stronger piping like double or triple thickness. They are lying just have to do a better job at communications.

you went a long way without actually stating where your interpreted lie exists. Using the Alberta Energy Minister quote you supplied, just where is difference to be found (implying your "lie") within the other quotes you subsequently provided?

be clear and precise - yes?

You mean be clear and precise like the Liberals have been so far? If they can make a clear statement to bring 25,000 Syrians to Canada and at least try to stick to that "aspiration" - why can't they similarly commit to an approval process for Energy East and Kinder Morgan that "aspires" to get things moving within one year, for example? The uncertainty is killing the economy. Any one who pays attentions knows that it's not about pipeline "safety" - it's about keeping oil in the ground - and the government's communication plan should start to separate those two issues. But hey - don't forget - Gerald Butts engineered Ontario's Green boondoggle..........

Alberta government quoted as quoted.

Trudeau and Carr contradict what she just said they said in regard to projects under review.

Seems pretty simple.

You mean be clear and precise like the Liberals have been so far? If they can make a clear statement to bring 25,000 Syrians to Canada and at least try to stick to that "aspiration" - why can't they similarly commit to an approval process for Energy East and Kinder Morgan that "aspires" to get things moving within one year, for example? The uncertainty is killing the economy. Any one who pays attentions knows that it's not about pipeline "safety" - it's about keeping oil in the ground - and the government's communication plan should start to separate those two issues. But hey - don't forget - Gerald Butts engineered Ontario's Green boondoggle..........

Well they apparently did commit to an approval process to EE and the KM, which is the existing process. Unless the AB govt statement is a lie. No company can operate when the rules of the game change constantly, these are big numbers at risk just trying to get through an unknown regulatory environment is really expensive.

But everybody is following a script, though I suspect Coderre acted prematurely. Trudeau would have rebuked him for that, and explained that it is all a charade By doing so he forced Justin into the open, when Trudeau could have delayed several months longer on slipping it in that yes, MK and EE pipleine applicants would both have to do much, much more. And he won't commit to a year, Trudeau will have his communciations staff issuing writs of urgency for the next few years while the projects flounder and ultimately fail for lack of product. You see, pipeline companies invest hundreds of millions in planning and engineering once they have supply commitments from oil producers. Sooner rather than later they will all see the writing on the wall, abandon the projects, and take their money elsewhere. I would guess that the press releases from the PMO are already written on that topic.

Time for you now Waldo, to shift the goalposts, obfuscate and scramble. Have at it!

Time for you now Waldo, to shift the goalposts, obfuscate and scramble. Have at it!

is this the big delay you're speaking to... aspiring to? Environmental assessment rules for resource-based projects coming today

you appear to "read a lie" between the Alberta Energy Minister reference, "not having to go back to square one" and the Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr reference working on a “transition” process for pipeline projects already under National Energy Board review

to you, is a "transition process"... going back to "square one"? Is that your... wishful... declared lie? :lol:

is this the big delay you're speaking to... aspiring to? Environmental assessment rules for resource-based projects coming today

you appear to "read a lie" between the Alberta Energy Minister reference, "not having to go back to square one" and the Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr reference working on a “transition” process for pipeline projects already under National Energy Board review

to you, is a "transition process"... going back to "square one"? Is that your... wishful... declared lie? :lol:

I guess we'll know soon enough. My guess would be that they'll simply announce some broad guidelines and kick the can down the road on the actual details. But hey.....let's tune into CBC and see what Carr has to say. Maybe it will be good news.....

I suppose the possible lie might have something to do with Trudeau's stated plans to restart the review process, but then he lied through his teeth constantly before he was elected, it's no small wonder that those lies are leading to some confusion. Hopefully he will come to..., no that won't happen..ah, right, hopefully some of the rational people in his government will knock some sense into him, that's at least possible.

Thanks for linking that Waldo, I was just about to.

Yep, those are the brand new requirements for Kinder Morgan and Trans Canada. In due course, the NEB will tell those firms what more is required of them. Trdueau has already told them though, he expects them to gain full consensus and a social licence, which is pretty laughable. He , on behalf of the people of Canada, intends to do neither. Actually, he intends to do nothing.

So how long will it take these companies to find out what is now required, pull their existing application, make every mayor in Quebec happy, then resubmit for another round of hearings. Five years? Ten? Never? I vote for never.

Why? Because the player that matters is the one never mentioned. It is the companies that agree to put their oil into a pipeline. They are soon going to say f**k it, it just is not worth the trouble in Canada. And that will be that for a big chunk of export earnings and a big chunk of jobs.

Mission accomplished for Justin, whether he wants it or not.

it's no small wonder that those lies are leading to some confusion. Hopefully he will come to..., no that won't happen..ah, right, hopefully some of the rational people in his government will knock some sense into him, that's at least possible.

I cannot see it, I think this has been the plan all along. All his speechifying the last three months fits this theme. I reckon Coderre forced his hand a bit early.

This delay tactic is just a strategy to kill the pipeline. We saw the same thing with Keystone XL, where it was delayed for 7 years before being rejected.

Ultimately, there are many in Canada who simply want zero development of fossil fuels and want zero pipelines.

Trudeau never supported Keystone XL. That was a lie in order to get votes. He chose to 'support' Keystone XL because he knew Obama would reject it.

Energy East needs super lengthy regulatory regimes, but the Trudeau government did not hesitate at all to ban Tankers on the West Coast without hearings.

If I were an Albertan, which I am not, I would be in full support of Alberta separating and either becoming an independent republic or the 51st US state.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Ultimately, there are many in Canada who simply want zero development of fossil fuels and want zero pipelines.

Finally, it's starting to sink in.

If I were an Albertan, which I am not, I would be in full support of Alberta separating and either becoming an independent republic or the 51st US state.

Let's hope so, and thanks for not assuming Albertan independence or statehood would result in it pushing it's tar-pipe through the independant nation of British Columbia. Thanks for being a good neighbour.

Let's hope so, and thanks for not assuming Albertan independence or statehood would result in it pushing it's tar-pipe through the independant nation of British Columbia. Thanks for being a good neighbour.

Yeah. Alberta's best option at this point to get their natural resources to market is to vote in a separatist government in 2019 and then join the USA.

Alberta cannot join the USA....this oft repeated separatist notion is political fantasy.

If the Americans wanted Alberta, they would have it by now. Cheaper and easier to just buy leases in the oil patch.

Sure they can. Congress just has to approve of it.

You even have a Republican presidential candidate, Ted Cruz, who was born in Alberta.

Sure they can. Congress just has to approve of it.

You even have a Republican presidential candidate, Ted Cruz, who was born in Alberta.

That's not how it works....pure political fantasy. Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories are way in front of wishful Albertan fantasies.

The U.S. cannot save Alberta from itself...or Canada.

Finally, it's starting to sink in.

O don't worry, most of us are fully aware of the complete irrationality of a vocal minority in this country, but a sensible leader, like Harper was, would just ignore them. We might as well be talking with anti vaxxers. Ah the science based approach.

O don't worry, most of us are fully aware of the complete irrationality of a vocal minority in this country, but a sensible leader, like Harper was, would just ignore them. We might as well be talking with anti vaxxers. Ah the science based approach.

That "sensible" leader is being ignored by his own party. They know they have to rebuild from his destruction if they want a real seat at the table again.