2016 State of the Union Address

President Obama will deliver his last State of the Union Address to the 114th United States Congress on Tuesday, 1/12/16. I know than some Canadians like to see if the U.S. president mentions Canada. Will he ?

What other topics would be of interest to Canada ? Maybe the TPP, climate change or a bitumen pipeline ?

Be sure to tune in for another exciting Obama address/speech !

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods nuked the State of the Union Address bingo card, but we can still have fun with bingo card terms, like these from an anti-tax group:

"Work Together" = I will work together with my pen and phone.

"Climate change" = Yes, my $380 "working dinner" at L'Ambroisie during the Paris climate conference was truly succulent, thank you.

"Gun" = Something the peasants cling to which Hillary wants to tax at 25%

"Common sense" = If you disagree, you are morally flawed.

"Jobs" = Where young adults used to spend their time instead of Mom and Dad's basement.

"Internet" = A grossly undertaxed and underregulated part of the economy my FCC will 'fix.'

"Recovery" = Thank you for not mentioning this is the weakest recovery on record.

"I" or "Me" = Center of the known universe.

"Investment" = Tax hike.

"Balanced" = Tax hike.

"Fair share" = Tax hike.

"Compromise" = You pay. I spend.

"Children" or "Grandchildren" = The people picking up the tab.

"1%" = How kids feel after a Michelle Obama school lunch.

"College" = Remember that time I tried to tax your 529 savings plan out of existence?

"Infrastructure" or "Roads and Bridges" = Let's raise taxes and funnel the money to bike paths and squirrel sanctuaries.

"Energy" = Something I have expended a great deal of to ensure the KeystoneXL is never built.

"Production" = I'll just go ahead and take credit for increased oil and gas production due to fracking I had nothing to do with.

"Education" = Let's pay off the teachers union at the expense of the kids, again.

"Affordable" = Unaffordable.

"Middle Class" = Those who are the direct target of seven Obamacare tax hikes, in violation of my "firm pledge."

"Responsibility" = Don't forget to send in your Obamacare "Shared Responsibility Payment" to the IRS.

"Insurance" = If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. My bad.

"God bless America" = With the start of tax season, good luck deciphering your Obamacare tax forms. Just remember, our handy acronym SLCSP means Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan. Enjoy!

Links to actual bingo cards for tonight:

https://www.atr.org/sites/default/files/assets/2016%20State%20of%20the%20Union%20%20BINGO%20Card%201.pdf

https://www.atr.org/sites/default/files/assets/2016%20State%20of%20the%20Union%20%20BINGO%20Card%202.pdf

https://www.atr.org/sites/default/files/assets/2016%20State%20of%20the%20Union%20%20BINGO%20Card%203.pdf

https://www.atr.org/sites/default/files/assets/2016%20State%20of%20the%20Union%20%20BINGO%20Card%204.pdf

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I hadn't run across it...makes the State of the Union fun!

Yes...some people use the bingo card as a drinking game. We always had some cards printed up for company CEO speeches with words like "synergy", "rightsizing", and "global".

Worker bees would play their bingo cards in the seated audience and the managers wondered what the hell was going on.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Looks like President Obama has lost some of that original 2008 fire-in-the-belly. Not unexpected....one year to go.

Donald Trump was the unspoken Darth Vader.

I am sorry...he did mention China, Russia, Vietnam, Cuba, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Colombia, and Syria specifically, but not Canada or other allies. I will check the transcript, linked below:

https://medium.com/@WhiteHouse/president-obama-s-2016-state-of-the-union-address-7c06300f9726#.vuyvsnr7f

Great line from the POTUS - "If anybody still wants to dispute the science around climate change, have at it. You will be pretty lonely."

I'm not a scientist but if you're willing to pedal anti climate change BS to the stupid for Big Oil cash you're probably a scum bag not fit to hold any office whatsoever.

I'm not a scientist but if you're willing to pedal anti climate change BS to the stupid for Big Oil cash you're probably a scum bag not fit to hold any office whatsoever.

Of course, Obama is peddling the same lies that CAGW nuts have been peddling for years. More specifically he wants to claim that if someone opposes his *policy choices* when it comes to climate change then one is "denying the science". It is an intellectually bankrupt argument that only scumbag AGW zealots take seriously.

The science says that CO2 is warming the planet but what we do about that is purely a political decision based on personal values and priorities and no science says that one has to follow Obama's lead on that file.

Edited by TimG

Agreed...it has always been the wrong argument. Obama, like many others, are confusing science with policies and economic choices. Scientists do not determine such choices, never have. Warming or Cooling ? So what....adapt as mankind has always done.

Obama's ego is healthy enough to convince him that any successor will not bring the same passion to the climate change charade, even as he fracked the hell out of the countryside.

I suspect you both know that argument is complete BS. Republicans aren't debating the best carbon policy choices, they are trying to peddle the idea that warming isn't happening. Is the oil lobby still necessary? It seems the GOP has simply cut out the middle man.