Stripping citizenship.

PIK

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we can handle our own messes. If we have a convicted terrorist who has only Canadian citizenship, we'll deal with him upon his release, much as we do any criminal.

That's where your opinion and mine differ. I believe we do not adequately deal with our own messes. In light of that, I'd like to see convicted terrorists as far away from this country as possible. - I even hold the view that if they only have a Canadian passport, that we should strip them of that too.

It's not enough for Kenney to 'clarify' Harper's words:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-citizenship-terrorism-1.3254095

Harper himself needs to make an unambiguous statement that no attempt will be made to revoke citizenship for other crimes, given it was he who raised this alarming possibility.

It's not enough for Kenney to 'clarify' Harper's words:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-citizenship-terrorism-1.3254095

Harper himself needs to make an unambiguous statement that no attempt will be made to revoke citizenship for other crimes, given it was he who raised this alarming possibility.

Harper did, last night in the French debates.

Make new canadians think twice about being a idiot.

This particular person was born in Canada. He's as Canadian as you or I... Or at least he used to be.

I was born here but have dual citizenship. This law means I am not as Canadian as others.

This won't stand up to a Charter challenge though, so there is really nothing to worry about. It'll be another Harper law struck down as unconstitutional. That will be Harper's legacy.... a series of unconstitutional laws.

Edited by The_Squid

This particular person was born in Canada. He's as Canadian as you or I... Or at least he used to be.

I was born here but have dual citizenship. This law means I am not as Canadian as others.

This won't stand up to a Charter challenge though, so there is really nothing to worry about. It'll be another Harper law struck down as unconstitutional. That will be Harper's legacy.... a series of unconstitutional laws.

1/2 canadian, to bad. Drop the other one and become a real canadian.But I will say this one case is a bit on the silly side.

1/2 canadian, to bad. Drop the other one and become a real canadian.But I will say this one case is a bit on the silly side.

I'm as Canadian as anyone. I have dual citizenship.

What is silly about this case? Please explain what you mean.

Are you saying Mulcair is disloyal?

I'm saying that when he was asked if he would renounce his French citizenship, he declined. If he's so Canadian that he wants to lead Canada, he should renounce his French citizenship.

I'm actually very much for how the US handles this. If you're not born in the US, you can't be President. I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm saying that when he was asked if he would renounce his French citizenship, he declined. If he's so Canadian that he wants to lead Canada, he should renounce his French citizenship.

I'm actually very much for how the US handles this. If you're not born in the US, you can't be President. I agree with this wholeheartedly.

We have something similar, the Act of Settlement (recently amended).

But since the PM isn't a president, buy merely an MP, are you saying you want anyone with dual citizenship banned from being a member of Parliament?

We have something similar, the Act of Settlement (recently amended).

But since the PM isn't a president, buy merely an MP, are you saying you want anyone with dual citizenship banned from being a member of Parliament?

I never said it was practical. I was just saying that I would prefer a PM is an old stock Canadian ;)

Edited by angrypenguin

That's where your opinion and mine differ. I believe we do not adequately deal with our own messes. In light of that, I'd like to see convicted terrorists as far away from this country as possible. - I even hold the view that if they only have a Canadian passport, that we should strip them of that too.

Why not rapists and murderers? Why not pedophiles too? Throw in anyone who is convicted of fraud for good reason… You drink and drive well outta the country you go. We don't deal properly with many of the above mentioned crimes, so why don't we revoke citizenship for them as well?

So I am not a real Canadian because I have a dual citizenship? I guess as a fake Canadian I shouldn't go and serve in the military since after all it is only for REAL Canadians.

The article doesn't mention whether they can strip people of their citizenship who were born in the country. It's a significant distinction. And it's a glaring omission on the part of the article.

It also doesn't make the distinction if there's a legal process, whereby it's a punishment handed out by the courts with an appeal process or if it's like the Harper Governmentâ„¢ plan that allows a partisan government minister to strip people of their citizenship.

I never said it was practical. I was just saying that I would prefer a PM is an old stock Canadian ;)

Mulcair was born in Ottawa. How much more "old stock" do you get? He also fought against Quebec separatism and you dare question his loyalty? Your comments are Mulcair are exceedingly ignorant.

Edited by cybercoma

Why not rapists and murderers? Why not pedophiles too? Throw in anyone who is convicted of fraud for good reason… You drink and drive well outta the country you go. We don't deal properly with many of the above mentioned crimes, so why don't we revoke citizenship for them as well?

We can do like Cuba and send them to the US.