Leaders debate Aug 6

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, when you've got nothing else... try your own nothingspeak! :lol: It's not difficult Argus... "without gaining the support of each and every province it would have been very difficult to move on meeting emission reduction requirements... you know... the working response to meeting the Kyoto commitments.

Kyoto commitments are a waste of our time.

less humans on earth? Now that's a real solution that could actually help.

Why haven't you said that before....that you agree with a low-tax approach to attract investment? Now we're getting somewhere. Since that automatically negates a vote for the NDP - and you absolutely hate anything Conservative, I guess your hopes rest with the Liberals? Or did I miss something?

Yeah, as usual you missed a lot. But that did't seem to stop you from trying to put words into my mouth. I'll make it simple for you, it's not so much low taxes as it is smart taxes.

Yeah, as usual you missed a lot. But that did't seem to stop you from trying to put words into my mouth. I'll make it simple for you, it's not so much low taxes as it is smart taxes.

Yes, because people who have absolutely no chance at ever creating a job for someone else should be taxed the least.

So if I sit at home and do a good job buying and selling stocks and make a hundred k this year, you think I shouldn't pay much tax. Great!

If it means you buy a 2.5 million dollar house and 1 car every year. Your already paying it in sale taxes.

And what if I don't buy those things but squirrel the money away somewhere overseas? Happens all the time.

Then obviously there are better opportunity to make money elsewhere then here in Canada, and we need to become more competitive, to retain that money.

Or maybe hold up a gun to his head and remind him his money should never leave Canada?

Edited by Freddy

Then obviously there are better opportunity to make money elsewhere then here in Canada, and we need to become more competitive, to retain that money.

Yeah you're drifting a fair bit now. I think you were trying to say something about taxes and job creation. I still like your idea though, I ca ake money in the stock market and not have to pay much tax. Yippee.

Yeah you're drifting a fair bit now. I think you were trying to say something about taxes and job creation. I still like your idea though, I ca ake money in the stock market and not have to pay much tax. Yippee.

Hey, if you have a really good ability to gauge and navigate stock market risk/rewards. I think you ought to keep as much of that money as you can. The same for anyone that's invested a lot of their time at becoming knowledgeable and skillful at anything else.

Edited by Freddy

We can make stuff. We can make toasters, but they'll cost $45 instead of $11. Just about everything manufactured here can be manufactured and then shipped here much more cheaply than we can make it. Unless you want to drop the minimum wage to 62 cents and eliminate safety and pollution laws I don't see that changing much.

The way to change it is to charge tariffs on cheap foreign shit made without wages, labour safety standards and pollution laws that we apply at home.

I fail to see why we shouldn't be funding our government with these tariffs and cutting our income taxes by an equal amount.

The way to change it is to charge tariffs on cheap foreign shit made without wages, labour safety standards and pollution laws that we apply at home.

I fail to see why we shouldn't be funding our government with these tariffs and cutting our income taxes by an equal amount.

We need 3d printers in every house

You missed his point, which was that yes the vote is always low, and the predictions are always that it will be high.

And you missed my point, that in the last 10 years I've never seen or heard of a youth this interested in an election. Take it for what you want. But just know that I'm going to launch a giant I told you so thread when it happens. I guarantee it in fact.

I honestly don't remember this projected high youth voter turnout in the last few years, Please do educate me on the matter with links.

Actually please educate me that voter turnout in any form is high in the last 2 elections.

Let me educate you recently.

both Vancouver and Toronto and Alberta had higher youth voter turnout in their recent elections than in that last 2.

Everyone underrates the youth vote.

This time it's going to bite them.

Yes, because people who have absolutely no chance at ever creating a job for someone else should be taxed the least.

No chance ever, eh? That's a funny position for someone who's supposedly a free-market economist and believes that everyone has equal opportunity. At least we now know that's wrong. You're actually an elitist who supports an oligarchical tyranny and believes everyone should know their place.

The economy is already completely ruined. In case you missed it.

Let's analyze what the net results of the "economy" really are...The "economy", as it currently operates, results in the net transfer of wealth from approximately 80-percent of the population to the remaining 20-percent.

Maybe it is not such a bad idea to have it slow down. :)

Edited by Icebound

Yeah, except Canadians LIKE $11 toasters! They like that a LOT! They like cheap computers and TVs and cell phones and air conditioners. Hell, when I was younger only those with really good jobs could afford AC. Now you can buy one for a hundred bucks! You want to put up big tariffs that will drastically increase the cost of all this stuff, and almost certainly be against WTO rules. Which means those countries, like China, will then retaliate by cutting off our imports.

Let's analyze what the net results of the "economy" really are...The "economy", as it currently operates, results in the net transfer of wealth from approximately 80-percent of the population to the remaining 20-percent.

That IS the Marxist theme, of course. The guy who works studies hard and graduates, studies hard at university, and works hard at his job is ripping off the guy who dropped out of school in grade 9 so he could park cars and smoke dope! We need to take away his money and make the doper better off!

In reality the bottom 30% pay zero in taxes to support the education of their children, their health care, the roads and transportation networks, or anything else. The top 1% made about 10% of income but paid over 20% of all federal and provincial taxes. The top 10% paid 55% of taxes. The top 20% you are speaking of pay approximately 85% of income taxes.

Trudeau's closing remarks are generating some comment...

It is telling that 10 years of Harper has turned Canada so cynical that our only goals now are to "have a job", and "stay safe".

The Canada of the 1960's, 70's, 80's was a Canada of optimism and vision.... Bill of rights, aboriginal vote, new flag, CPP, patriation of constitution, universal health care, etc.

I think Trudeau was trying to re-kindle some of that optimism, and it may well have been more effective than you cynics can imagine, especially among the young.

Harper may have said "I love Canada" at some point, but I have never heard him do so. But he HAS, famously, denigrated Canada: "Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term," in 1997. He went on, in that speech, to complain about a lot of Canadian Institutions, including the way the House of Commons works.... features which, by the way, he made no effort to improve... but features which he used quite blatantly to solidify his hold on power.... http://thetyee.ca/News/2011/03/23/StephenHarpersEyes/

Trudeau's "love of Canada" is a sharp contrast to Harper's, and he was probably trying to highlight that. If Canada were Harper's child, he would send it to bed with a handshake. Trudeau would hug it, tuck it in, and talk about the wonderful things they would do together tomorrow. Again, you cynics may not understand, but a great portion of the population does.