Aboriginal Affairs $1B spending shortfall

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgets are about allocating resources.

The government takes $1 billion each year (ok less than that) and gives it to the CBC.

The CBC is not needed in this day and age with perhaps the exception of a few remote places (and even then I doubt most people give a fig).

The CBC reports on FN's stories ad nauseum compared to the MSM and then report this train wreck of "oh, the FN's aren't getting their money" when it is a simple case of the FN's not spending the money fast enough so it rolls into the next year and this often happens year over year over year.

So, take CBC money and give it to the "needy" FN's.

Guess what? They still won't spend it fast enough but at least we won't be wasting money on the CBC.

Wait, what? You are saying that the government is taking 1B from the FN's budget and giving it to cbc? The CBC has absolutely nothing to do with the FN's budget. Why on earth would you try and draw a connection to that?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Check the TRC report showing their request for CBC funding. What does CBC funding have to do with them other that providing a biased viewpoint

Please provide a link. I have provided links when required. Please don't make me hunt.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Wait, what? You are saying that the government is taking 1B from the FN's budget and giving it to cbc? The CBC has absolutely nothing to do with the FN's budget. Why on earth would you try and draw a connection to that?

No, I am saying shut the CBC down and take the $1 billion and give it to AANDC with a clear mandate to have the money spent on infrastructure.

Better to pay engineers $280,000 per year than Peter and Amanda to read news.

Please provide a link. I have provided links when required. Please don't make me hunt.

Alright....

http://aptn.ca/news/2015/06/02/read-94-recommendations/

84. We call upon the federal government to restore and increase funding to the CBC/Radio-Canada, to enable Canada’s national public broadcaster to support reconciliation, and be properly reflective of the diverse cultures, languages, and perspectives of Aboriginal peoples, including but not limited to:

i. Increasing Aboriginal programming, including Aboriginal-language speakers.

ii. Increasing equitable access for Aboriginal peoples to jobs, leadership positions, and professional development opportunities within the organization.

iii. Continuing to provide dedicated news coverage and online public information resources on issues of concern to Aboriginal peoples and all Canadians, including the history and legacy of residential schools and the reconciliation process.

What does this have to do with the govt's $1B shortfall in spending?

You asked for a citation to show that the CBC was in cahoots with the First Nations. Have you forgotten what you were asking for already....here...I'll show you.

Check the TRC report showing their request for CBC funding. What does CBC funding have to do with them other that providing a biased viewpoint

BC made a comment about the CBC funding as it is topically relevant as per the TRC recommendation.

Edited by Accountability Now

Maybe in the 1970's people thought watching "Beachcombers" would connect people but we have come a long way since then.

Satellites, cell phones, Internet, HBO, Netflix (the U.S. version when you make your IP address look like it is from the U.S.) etc have made the CBC redundant.

Maybe in the 1970's people thought watching "Beachcombers" would connect people but we have come a long way since then.

Satellites, cell phones, Internet, HBO, Netflix (the U.S. version when you make your IP address look like it is from the U.S.) etc have made the CBC redundant.

You think they have those in remote communities?

CBC news.

CBC funding has to do with connecting remote communities to the rest of Canada.

And just how well has the CBC done that over the past 50+ years ? How was its budget spent "helping First Nations" compared to all programming ? How much was reported to all of Canada while these abuses were actually happening ?

Reads to me that the CBC was part of the problem, not the solution.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I've been to some remote-ish communities (and actual FN reserves) so I know they get the intertubes and, therefore, can get their fill of "House of Cards" and "Orange is the new Black" all they want.

Right...just another example of official segregation not working, and purposely undermined by choice.

If BC would contribute valuable content to this OP instead of his usual sarcastic trolling posts, then I would be more accepting of his posts. However, given his history of postings, and his current posts, I find absolutely nothing of value from his posts to my OP. Why is he allowed to contribute such Horsesh...t?

You're instructing everyone else to keep on topic while posting this?

Hmmm, so you are saying pointing out off topic posts is off topic...deep

Actually, she's attacking another poster and should be reported. I didn't, but, it doesn't change what happened.

Edited by Smallc