Truth and Reconciliation... Legitimacy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFL. Are you serious? The entire constitution can be torn up and be re-written if there is a strong democratic mandate supporting it. The idea that the democratic will of Canadians could be usurped a small group of wannabe feudal lords is laughable. The only rights that natives haves are those which the majority chooses to let them have. Nothing will ever change that.

I think you are confused as to the meaning of 'feudal lords', Tim.

Though there seems to be some plumping for a new genocide - I've personally run across more than a few who are so inclined, I just don't think that'll fly.

No I suspect this will be dealt with by 1st Nations and the GG or the Queen.

One question I have on this. Why is it that when ever there is a land claim or other treaty issue, the natives complain to the Queen. But for the residential schools issue which is also a function of treaties is the Canadian government. Should the Brits not be sued as well?

I think you are confused as to the meaning of 'feudal lords', Tim.

Nope. I understand it perfectly and that is more or less what many natives want and see the rest of of population as serfs to be exploited. Of course, the "victim" narrative which you are so attached to makes you blind to such things.

Nope. I understand it perfectly and that is more or less what many natives want and see the rest of of population as serfs to be exploited. Of course, the "victim" narrative which you are so attached to makes you blind to such things.

Okay, now I know that you don't understand 'feudal lords', but it was a nice try.

You keep pounding away on it like you did with your conspiracy memes.

Okay, now I know that you don't understand 'feudal lords', but it was a nice try.

It is not my fault that you cannot see the parallels between native groups who believe that, by right of birth, they own all of the land and are owed "taxes" from people living on those lands and the decadent feudal lords of times gone by. It is the same concept. Democracy repudiates the idea that any group should be perpetually entitled to special rights at the expense of others. Edited by TimG

I was in full agreement with him on this from the beginnig. What was done was done wrong, and it was awful. In most of the timreframe involved though, it wasn't unique, and it wasn't comparable to the holocaust.

Do you believe, Smallc, that a genocide has to be both unique and comparable to the Holocaust to be considered a genocide? Or does just one of those things you describe make an event a genocide?

It is not my fault that you cannot see the parallels between native groups who believe that, by right of birth, they own all of the land and are owed "taxes" from people living on those lands and the decadent feudal lords of times gone by. It is the same concept. Democracy repudiates the idea that any group should be perpetually entitled to special rights at the expense of others.

No, it most assuredly isn't your fault, Tim. After all, it's not your analogy.

The remainder is more full of holes than a target at a redneck barbeque.

That a genocide has to be both unique and comparable to the Holocaust to be considered a genocide?

A genocide has to involve the deliberate killing of people for the purpose of eliminating the group. Assimilation is NOT genocide because assimilation presumes the people in question will continue to be members of the larger society.

A genocide has to involve the deliberate killing of people for the purpose of eliminating the group. Assimilation is NOT genocide because assimilation presumes the people in question will continue to be members of the larger society.

You really have to get yourself up to speed on the vocabulary that you wish to discuss, Tim.

Measure your notion against the actual international definition of genocide and see how it stands up.

Edited by Je suis Omar

Gonna disagree.

Church institutions have carried out atrocities to subjugate many people to their purposes.

It's all valid.

I am surprised that the churches are not taking more heat over this. During a majority of the time while this was happening, the Church was considered an unquestionable higher authority. That's why they got away with other crimes historically.

The government policies were to eliminate there culture, but I don't think they were meant to cause the great harm it did. Probably the people running these programs were probably racist, making it easy to ignore the harm done.

We do need to create the conditions to allow the first nations to integrate into our society, but we should work to protect and celebrate there culture. They should be equal to us in all ways as individuals, but there culture needs to be celebrated and force integrated into our national culture. 2nd Monday of June a new National holiday to celebrate their culture?

You really have to get yourself up to speed on the vocabulary that you wish to discuss, Tim.

I am familiar with the meaning of the words in question. The fact that some people with political agendas like to change the meaning words to suit their agenda does not mean anyone else is required to accept their redefinition of words.

I am familiar with the meaning of the words in question. The fact that some people with political agendas like to change the meaning words to suit their agenda does not mean anyone else is required to accept their redefinition of words.

You keep saying this with the same forcefulness of Argus. With all due respect, stamping your feet doesn't help your position. Bring forth the international legal definition of genocide and locate therein the portion which allows forced assimilation as an excuse for you to avoid a noose.

Measure your notion against the actual international definition of genocide and see how it stands up.

You continue to trot out that definition used by the UN but refuse to acknowledge why the UN itself didn't call it genocide Edited by Accountability Now

Wrangling over a term is just a distraction from the problem at hand. How to deal with the continuing fallout from decades of abuse by a system that made these places a paradise for pedophiles.

That is the term, among others, that has seen folks hung by the neck until breath no longer flowed, Wilber. We rule of law people ought not to be dealing with this in such a cavalier fashion.

That is the term, among others, that has seen folks hung by the neck until breath no longer flowed, Wilber. We rule of law people ought not to be dealing with this in such a cavalier fashion.

Then stop arguing about whether this fits the definition of genocide, discuss the issue and what is to be done about the damage it caused. Unless you just enjoy calling people names.

Edited by Wilber

Perhaps I should have been clearer. What you have just described is called cultural genocide, although I guess I just assumed you knew that thats what the discussion is about.

There's no such thing as 'cultural genocide'. It's a term some people just made up yesterday.

You have been erroneously stating that the continued existence of a people negates the idea that a genocide has taken place. You have stated this same nonsense a number of times, right after you were corrected, right after evidence/proof was placed right in front of your nose.

And now, right here, YOU blatantly contradict yourself and YOUR spurious contention.

Nope. You are simply (again) being dishonest. I didn't say that the existence of a people means there was never a genocide. I mocked your buffoonish statement that people could undergo "six generations of genocide" and still be in existence.

Wrangling over a term is just a distraction from the problem at hand. How to deal with the continuing fallout from decades of abuse by a system that made these places a paradise for pedophiles.

I doubt there was any more child sexual abuse involved than in other church run schools, or in government orphanages, or in fact, in very high priced boarding schools the likes of which the wealthy used to send their kids off to.