Canada's debt load

Topaz

I think this will be one topic on the debates and I'm sure Canadians will be listening. The provinces have more of a debt load if the feds don't transfer enough money back to the provinces and the provinces have complained about that. I do think the liabilities of the feds will go up when all those MPs who retire or turn 55, start to draw their pensions and any of public servant retiring. I also wondering if Americans are concern about their nations debt as we are of theirs and ours. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/national-debt/article24397940/

MP pension isn't even a drop in the bucket, and provincial finances aren't the concern of Ottawa.

Ya, MP's are so few. What happens when all the babyboomer civil servants in the public service are retired and drawing pensions, then their jobs (and accompanying salaries/benefits) replaced with younger counterparts. But that has largely already happened. You need 30 years or so in the public service to get a good pension, and that's not very long if you start in your 20's, so it's starting to happen or has already happened.

Let's not forget, the federal government employs more people in Canada that anyone else, than any other organization/business.

...I also wondering if Americans are concern about their nations debt as we are of theirs and ours.

Different topic from Canadian public (and private) debt levels...the Americans will continue to carry more public debt as a percentage of GDP than Canada...because it can. The biggest public debt issue is probably in Ontario, which now has more public debt than California...some say by a factor of two. Where did all that money go ?

Ya, MP's are so few. What happens when all the babyboomer civil servants in the public service are retired and drawing pensions, then their jobs (and accompanying salaries/benefits) replaced with younger counterparts. But that has largely already happened. You need 30 years or so in the public service to get a good pension, and that's not very long if you start in your 20's, so it's starting to happen or has already happened.

Let's not forget, the federal government employs more people in Canada that anyone else, than any other organization/business.

Oh puleez!

The scary pension bogeyman ... again?!?!

Moonbox,

Government employee pensioners ARE NOT PAID OUT OF CURRENT GOVERNMENT FUNDS!

assuming that the government (ie, employer) made it's contributions.

So did the pensioners when they were employees.

The money is invested to provide income for pensioners.

Only if the Treasury Board fails to manage the pension fund properly would it affect federal budgeting.

A very insignificant issue.

The sky isn't falling.

If you want to know where money's being wasted, look at corporate subsidies:

Nothing but a HUGE slush fund to pay off corporate doners/voters.

Edited by jacee

Different topic from Canadian public (and private) debt levels...the Americans will continue to carry more public debt as a percentage of GDP than Canada...because it can. The biggest public debt issue is probably in Ontario, which now has more public debt than California...some say by a factor of two. Where did all that money go ?

I listen to America radio, and there are people concerned about your debt and if there is a change in the world and the US$ is replaced, you are in big trouble, 19 Trillion debt is a lot of money, you can't depend on the private bank, Federal Reserve forever.

I listen to America radio, and there are people concerned about your debt and if there is a change in the world and the US$ is replaced, you are in big trouble, 19 Trillion debt is a lot of money, you can't depend on the private bank, Federal Reserve forever.

I am not worried....Canada was in deeper trouble back in the 1990's without having the world's reserve currency but managed to slash spending, raise taxes, and recover. Also, as another member has pointed out before, the U.S. has a large additional tax revenue capacity.

The U.S. (and many other nations including Canada) have no intention of ever paying it all off someday, just to manage the debt service and deficits.

I am not worried....Canada was in deeper trouble back in the 1990's without having the world's reserve currency but managed to slash spending, raise taxes, and recover. Also, as another member has pointed out before, the U.S. has a large additional tax revenue capacity.

The U.S. (and many other nations including Canada) have no intention of ever paying it all off someday, just to manage the debt service and deficits.

Whataythink? Is Chicago going to be the next big American city to go into bankruptcy and dump all its pensioners into the street?

Which will be the first state to declare bankruptcy?

Edited by Argus