IMF: 'Labour deregulation' NOT working

jacee

That sounds rather Orwellian. Should they wear ankle braces too?

If needs be. Orwell would probably blush at the measures I'd take to secure our governance against interference from the rich.

You'd probably curl up in the fetal position and suck your thumb in fear.

Nobody is talking about wages growing faster than productivity... the exact opposite has been happening for nearly 40 years.

Yes, and one thing I didn't mention before which really galls me is the IMF itself is one of the big reasons for the internationalizing of capital and weakening of the interests of labour....are they pretending to be bystanders all of a sudden?

If needs be. Orwell would probably blush at the measures I'd take to secure our governance against interference from the rich.

You'd probably curl up in the fetal position and suck your thumb in fear.

I don't know what securing our governance from interetence from the rich even means. Sorry.

This is what's complete nonsense! In the U.S. - where raising the minimum wage is a big issue...finally....the cheap retail outlets like Walmart and the fast food joints are rolling in profits that are going to the executives, the franchisees and of course - the shareholders, while the workers who do the damn work get poverty wages.

Raising the minimum wage federally is a big issue. It's not at the state level, where it makes much more sense. Some retailers have raised their wages beyond minimum wage. That evil Hobby Lobby, which leftists can't stand pays an extremely high retail wage.

Right now though, particularly in the United States the current administration is doing everything in its power to depress wages with a complete refusal to stop illegal immigrantion. The labour force has been completey flooded with cheap unskilled labour which pulls down everybody's wages. But the democrats need their votes.

For example, when you do lay somebody off you are most often obliged to pay all their state benefits- health care, employment premiums, pension contributions etc- for 1 to 2 years.

Understanding the barrier that such arrangements create for investment, it's also interesting to hear how Europeans manage labour resources to make the most of their productivity.

Understanding the barrier that such arrangements create for investment, it's also interesting to hear how Europeans manage labour resources to make the most of their productivity.

Small businesses are treated like an enemy of the state in France.

Hiring anybody is a very serious undertaking, the expense and liability is very high. Growing a business by hiring staff is far more risky than here.

Fortunately in the EU it is reasonably easy for a business to operate in one country and be registered for tax purposes in another. And many people do just this, including my brother.