Canadian Wheat Board gone

Topaz

Oh, like the cost of gas? :rolleyes:

As said, somehow Quebec and Ontario farmers were able to survive without a government forced monopoly (likewise American, Australian etc).......why do feel Western Canadian farmers can't?

Most Ontario and Quebec products are sold in Canada and transported by truck, Most of our grain is exported and transported by rail and ship.

i'm not saying they can't, I just don't see how this benefits them. All that has been done is put infrastructure in private (and foreign hands) Until some other body is willing to build competing infrastructure, nothing will change. More competition results in lower prices for customers, not higher prices for producers. If most of our grain production is already exported, I fail to see how this benefits Canadians.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not saying they can't, I just don't see how this benefits them. All that has been done is put infrastructure in private (and foreign hands) Until some other body is willing to build competing infrastructure, nothing will change. More competition results in lower prices for customers, not higher prices for producers. If most of our grain production is already exported, I fail to see how this benefits Canadians.

The CWB artificially raised and lowered the price of various grains, well all farmers were forced to sell their grains to the CWB by law, which in turn dictated how much and what Western farmers could grow........Now Western farmers, like farmers around the world (and the rest of Canada), can decide what and to who they will sell their grains, likewise for how much.......they are free to continue with the CWB/G3, restart local co-ops, sell to large international agri-businesses or sell it themselves.....

The benefit to farmers, what the vast majority wanted, is freedom of choice........as to Canadians as a whole, I'd expect the inverse, namely prices to both rise and fall, like any other goods in a free market.

The CWB artificially raised and lowered the price of various grains, well all farmers were forced to sell their grains to the CWB by law, which in turn dictated how much and what Western farmers could grow........Now Western farmers, like farmers around the world (and the rest of Canada), can decide what and to who they will sell their grains, likewise for how much.......they are free to continue with the CWB/G3, restart local co-ops, sell to large international agri-businesses or sell it themselves.....

The benefit to farmers, what the vast majority wanted, is freedom of choice........as to Canadians as a whole, I'd expect the inverse, namely prices to both rise and fall, like any other goods in a free market.

Not if there is only one way to get it to market. They will either have to rely on someone else to build other infrastructure or build it themselves.

The government could have just allowed others to go into competition with the CWB, they didn't have to sell it off.

Not if there is only one way to get it to market. They will either have to rely on someone else to build other infrastructure or build it themselves.

The government could have just allowed others to go into competition with the CWB, they didn't have to sell it off.

It's not......the various Ports, shipping firms and railways have no issue with carting numerous oil & gas companies products for example, likewise the local grocery store has no issue selling numerous brands of toilet paper.....and as said, already, the infrastructure is already there, the CWB/G3 will either run it as marketable to other grain concerns, go out of business or sell a percentage of the unused/non-profitable portions......

And why would the Government desire to remain in the grain business? If its such a good idea, why not have Government compete in the selling of other consumer goods?

It's not......the various Ports, shipping firms and railways have no issue with carting numerous oil & gas companies products for example, likewise the local grocery store has no issue selling numerous brands of toilet paper.....and as said, already, the infrastructure is already there, the CWB/G3 will either run it as marketable to other grain concerns, go out of business or sell a percentage of the unused/non-profitable portions......

And why would the Government desire to remain in the grain business? If its such a good idea, why not have Government compete in the selling of other consumer goods?

Then I'll ask again, what did they get for ther 250M that they couldn't have got without it?

Then I'll ask again, what did they get for ther 250M that they couldn't have got without it?

As already answered

The infrastructure/Real Estate............

And the Government got a quarter of a billion dollars, well divesting itself from the grain business and keeping a promise to Western grain farmers.

An already established player. Why did Walmart enter Canada the way that they did?

Or look to the selling off of Air Canada and Petro-Canada........or after the Tories return with a majority this Fall, the eventual fire-sale of the CBC.

Or look to the selling off of Air Canada and Petro-Canada........or after the Tories return with a majority this Fall, the eventual fire-sale of the CBC.

Air Canada and Petro Canada were not sold outright to other interests, they were privatized by offering shares on the stock market. In fact, foreign ownership was severely limited when it came to both of them.

Air Canada and Petro Canada were not sold outright to other interests, they were privatized by offering shares on the stock market. In fact, foreign ownership was severely limited when it came to both of them.

So what? Should the Government of Canada still be in the airline and retail gas business? Likewise, only the majority share of the CWB was sold...

Foreign ownership in both Air Canada and Petro Can was limited to 25%. That's what.

Right, but why does that mater? Most industries across Canada have varying degrees of foreign ownership or are subsidiaries of foreign companies......If it is a problem for some, farmers can now choose not to sell their crops to foreign interests, likewise consumers can choose not to buy "foreign" or "domestic but foreign owned".

Right, but why does that mater? Most industries across Canada have varying degrees of foreign ownership or are subsidiaries of foreign companies......If it is a problem for some, farmers can now choose not to sell their crops to foreign interests, likewise consumers can choose not to buy "foreign" or "domestic but foreign owned".

So transportation and energy was important enough to limit foreign control in certain sectors but food isn't.

Good in theory but if these guys own all the elevators and terminals, they will have a monopoly until someone else builds the infrastructure to compete with them.

Edited by Wilber

So transportation and energy was important enough to limit foreign control in certain sectors but food isn't.

Good in theory but if these guys own all the elevators and terminals, they will have a monopoly until someone else builds the infrastructure to compete with them.

Again, what is the desire to limit ownership to domestic buyers?

Again, what is the desire to limit ownership to domestic buyers?

Why should Canadians be denied the opportunity to invest in segments of the economy that are in their national interest, just to make a quick buck selling Crown corporations to the highest foreign bidder?

Again, what are they getting that is worth $250 million to them?

Edited by Wilber

Why should Canadians be denied the opportunity to invest in segments of the economy that are in their national interest, just to make a quick buck selling to the highest foreign bidder?

Again, what are they getting that is worth $250 million to them?

Canadians haven't been denied investment opportunities, as Bunge Ltd. is a traded company.....the former CWB not so much.

Canadians haven't been denied investment opportunities, as Bunge Ltd. is a traded company.....the former CWB not so much.

Right, they can invest in a US company in US dollars on the NYSE. The former CWB could have been turned into a Canadian company, headquartered in Canada, trading in CAD on the TSE, just like Air Canada, Petrocan. and CN.

Right, they can invest in a US company in US dollars on the NYSE. The former CWB could have been turned into a Canadian company, headquartered in Canada, trading in CAD on the TSE, just like Air Canada, Petrocan. and CN.

The former CWB will still be headquartered in Canada (Winnipeg)........but I don't understand your desire for a fictional Canadian company? Who cares if its Canadian, American, Saudi or Outer Mongolian?

As an investor, I personally would rather invest in a global company, with existing trade deals and influence in over 40 countries than a fictional company limited to several Canadian provinces.........

The former CWB will still be headquartered in Canada (Winnipeg)........but I don't understand your desire for a fictional Canadian company? Who cares if its Canadian, American, Saudi or Outer Mongolian?

As an investor, I personally would rather invest in a global company, with existing trade deals and influence in over 40 countries than a fictional company limited to several Canadian provinces.........

The aforementioned companies aren't fictional. They weren't before they were privatized and they aren't now. The new CWB will now truly be a fictional company.

As a Canadian , I think Canadians should have the first opportunity to invest in their own corporations when they are being privatized, before foreign conglomerates. If foreigners want some of the action, they can buy shares on the TSE, just like Canadians.

It might be worth remembering that the US is one of our biggest competitors when it comes to grain sales. We have just turned over the marketing of our grain to a US/ Saudi conglomerate.

...As a Canadian , I think Canadians should have the first opportunity to invest in their own corporations when they are being privatized, before foreign conglomerates. If foreigners want some of the action, they can buy shares on the TSE, just like Canadians.

Canadians own and control many concerns in other nations...what's so special about doing the same in Canada ?

If Canadians have the capital and will to invest and compete, then do so. Talk is cheap....

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The aforementioned companies aren't fictional. They weren't before they were privatized and they aren't now. The new CWB will now truly be a fictional company.

No, the new CWB is now owned by a global company with operations and trade deals/supply networks in over 40 countries.

As a Canadian , I think Canadians should have the first opportunity to invest in their own corporations when they are being privatized, before foreign conglomerates. If foreigners want some of the action, they can buy shares on the TSE, just like Canadians.

Then feel free to invest as you like, you have choice, unlike Western grain farmers under the previous CWB.

It might be worth remembering that the US is one of our biggest competitors when it comes to grain sales. We have just turned over the marketing of our grain to a US/ Saudi conglomerate.

No, we've turned over the final vestiges of the former CWB to an international company..........farmers can now choose to sell their grain to it or go through other avenues........as they have been doing for several years now, or Quebec/Ontario farmers have been doing for decades.

No, we've turned over the final vestiges of the former CWB to an international company..........farmers can now choose to sell their grain to it or go through other avenues........as they have been doing for several years now, or Quebec/Ontario farmers have been doing for decades.

What other avenues? Name me some. We could have done the same thing by making the old CWB into a public company and opened it up to competition. Instead we sold it lock stock and barrel to a foreign conglomerate. Couldn't even be bothered to try and keep it Canadian based.