Slow Clap BC. The Left Lane is for PASSING!

Are you even being serious right now? Of course they will be in constant contact with everything around them at all times. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Just like autonomous warehouse bots are in constant contact with each other to avoids collisions. It's literally just sending a signal to all cars within the area, if you don't think that technology will exist and exceed our expectation within the next 10 years you don't understand technology.

And how will they be in constant contact? Bandwidth by chance?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet your cellphone doesn't have a requirement to transmit and receive a fraction of the required data to allow a car to talk to intersections and other cars on the road with you.......Have you ever had a dropped call? Imagine your car dropping a call from the oncoming red light and an automated garbage truck is going through the intersection?

Little data transmission is required, actually none. Any communication would be very short ranged and could be encoded just like your car key. If the car couldn't determine light colours on its own, the light would just have to transmit a signal that corresponding to its colour. It would just make the system even safer. Comparing this with a military drone system where gagabytes of information are being exchanged by satellite between the drone and its operator ten thousand miles away is just a straw man. Edited by Wilber

All the alarmists are screaming about this bandwidth problem we will face in the future. It will be overcome. Technology will improve and they will be proven wrong. Just like those who thought computers would be useless to the average human.

Overcome by what? Magic? If the USAF is faced with growing shortfalls in bandwidth, for a requirement to operate UAVs numbered in the hundreds, where is all this extra bandwidth going to come from to meet the requirements of just one small city of automated cars and traffic infrastructure?

As I said, science fiction for it to be in widespread usage...........let me know when they can manage a golf course or theme park.....until then, keep dreaming.

Overcome by what? Magic? If the USAF is faced with growing shortfalls in bandwidth, for a requirement to operate UAVs numbered in the hundreds, where is all this extra bandwidth going to come from to meet the requirements of just one small city of automated cars and traffic infrastructure?

As I said, science fiction for it to be in widespread usage...........let me know when they can manage a golf course or theme park.....until then, keep dreaming.

haha just like Wilber said, it may not even be the same technology. It will happen. We are human, we overcome. Despite what the pessimists say.

Edited by PrimeNumber

If you're worried about the bandwidth of transportation you should be worried about the bandwidth of all future transferable information systems. The Armageddon is coming, build your bunkers. The end is nnnnnnniiggghhh. Repent!

Edited by PrimeNumber

Little data transmission is required, actually none. Any communication would be very short ranged and could be encoded just like your car key. If the car couldn't determine light colours on its own, the light would just have to transmit a signal that dorresponfpded to its colour. It would just make the system even safer. Comparing this with a military drone system where gagabytes of information are being exchanged by satellite between the drone and its operator ten thousand miles away is just a straw man.

Little data? How little? Your cars, as said numerous times, will have to not only be in constant contact with traffic signals but other cars on the road.......UAV's do use a large amount of data, but UAVs are flown in restricted airspace and don't have to contend with rush hour traffic, idiot kids on bikes or a mattress in the middle of the road.......

One such car will be required to transmit and receive constant information to operate safely with other such cars.......If the USAF is unable to operate dozens of UAVs within x amount of square miles with current or near term projected technology and bandwidth demands, you couldn't replace all the cars in Maple Ridge with automated cars.......let alone an entire city, country or the world.

Its fantasy.

haha just like Wilber said, it may not even be the same technology. It will happen. We are human, we overcome. Despite what the pessimists say.

Oh, so it will be some other technology yet to be developed..........perfect :lol:

If you're worried about the bandwidth of transportation you should be worried about the bandwidth of all future transferable information systems. The Armageddon is coming, build your bunkers. The end is nnnnnnniiggghhh. Repent!

Perhaps, as there is a greater chance I'll require a bunker one day then contented with automated cars coming into widespread use.......as I said, let me know when they can manage a golf course.

Perhaps, as there is a greater chance I'll require a bunker one day then contented with automated cars coming into widespread use.......as I said, let me know when they can manage a golf course.

And your conclusion is based entirely on speculation as much as any other persons is. The fact of the matter is we will try and most likely succeed in finding alternatives to this problem that will move civilization along, much to your dismay.

Also do you have proof that there is a greater chance that a bunker would be in more widespread use than an automated vehicle? No? Oh ok, so it's just your opinion? got it.

Edited by PrimeNumber

Again I point to those that thought computers would never develop beyond taking up an entire room. You can and most likely will be proven wrong.

Proven wrong? Oh, like when you said I'd be wrong with oil returning to above $50 bbl by this Spring? By all means, bookmark it and let me know when they have automated golf carts...... :lol:

And your conclusion is based entirely on speculation as much as any other persons is. The fact of the matter is we will try and most likely succeed in finding alternatives to this problem that will move civilization along, much to your dismay.

No, my conclusion in based upon real world, present and projected, bandwidth usage...............yours is as grounded in reality as my flying Jetson's car.

Proven wrong? Oh, like when you said I'd be wrong with oil returning to above $50 bbl by this Spring? By all means, bookmark it and let me know when they have automated golf carts...... :lol:

Anyone who supports the F 35 so strongly must be hoping against hope some form of new technology comes along to save the turkey. Golf cart automation even...

Edited by On Guard for Thee

Little data? How little? Your cars, as said numerous times, will have to not only be in constant contact with traffic signals but other cars on the road.......UAV's do use a large amount of data, but UAVs are flown in restricted airspace and don't have to contend with rush hour traffic, idiot kids on bikes or a mattress in the middle of the road.......

One such car will be required to transmit and receive constant information to operate safely with other such cars.......If the USAF is unable to operate dozens of UAVs within x amount of square miles with current or near term projected technology and bandwidth demands, you couldn't replace all the cars in Maple Ridge with automated cars.......let alone an entire city, country or the world.

Its fantasy.

If you had read the Audi article you would know its system includes six radars, three cameras and two LIDAR units. It knows what is going on around it. Not only that, it can do it in visibility conditions where humans would be blind. Simple radio transmissions from traffic lights and other traffic controls can inform vehicles of their status. No data transfer would be required.

Also do you have proof that there is a greater chance that a bunker would be in more widespread use than an automated vehicle? No? Oh ok, so it's just your opinion? got it.

Sure, the probability of a nuclear war happening (as suggested by the moving forward of the doomsday clock closer to midnight) is greater than magical cars run by magical technology that does not exist........Yet, in my opinion, neither is at all likely.

Sure, the probability of a nuclear war happening (as suggested by the moving forward of the doomsday clock closer to midnight) is greater than magical cars run by magical technology that does not exist........Yet, in my opinion, neither is at all likely.

That's not proof, that's more speculation. The technology exists, you're just making excuses for it to not be used. I don't know why you would argue against something that only stands to make your life easier, even though you may not live to see it's use.

If you had read the Audi article you would know its system includes six radars, three cameras and two LIDAR units. It knows what is going on around it. Not only that, it can do it in visibility conditions where humans would be blind. Simple radio transmissions from traffic lights and other traffic controls can inform vehicles of their status. No data transfer would be required.

Ahh, but LIDAR, much like LAMPS before it, also has its limitations.........like a blind corner on the Sea-to-Sky hwy.......your "simple radio transmissions" are useless to cars around a blind corner or in a tunnel for example.

Your automated cars very much so will require the use of satellite and cellular transmissions, and in turn, bandwidth....

That's not proof, that's more speculation. The technology exists, you're just making excuses for it to not be used. I don't know why you would argue against something that only stands to make your life easier, even though you may not live to see it's use.

Because I don't live in a fantasy world........why not just pine for Scotty's transporters?

Right, but if your PC has a fault, it doesn't have the potential to kill a family driving on the Trans-Canada.....

With all the technology being integrated using the Internet and wifi connections, one failure can and will have dramatic impacts. Hack hack hack.

We already see risks like hacking to cars that we have on the road now.

Edited by GostHacked