sharkman

When used by adolescents. Adolescents currently have an easier time getting pot than adults, as you state yourself. Regulation would help to curtail that. It wouldn't mean they would never be able to buy pot again, but it would certainly throw a wrench in the current black market network. Again, why do you want to maintain the black market status quo?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When used by adolescents. Adolescents currently have an easier time getting pot than adults, as you state yourself. Regulation would help to curtail that. It wouldn't mean they would never be able to buy pot again, but it would certainly throw a wrench in the current black market network. Again, why do you want to maintain the black market status quo?

I think legalization is only a matter of time but I really wonder if it will have any effect on adolescent use. If you have a minimum age, there will be a black market supplying under age customers.

Well thats probably because you have never gone looking for it. Unless you live on the moon there is probably some right around the corner. Ask a high school kid where he gets his.

Yes, I'm going to go ask a highschool kid where he/she gets pot. Not to much of a sterotype there. :rolleyes:

I think legalization is only a matter of time but I really wonder if it will have any effect on adolescent use. If you have a minimum age, there will be a black market supplying under age customers.

Theres already a black market supplying underage customers.

As for the effect on adolescent use, the best case study we have shows there would be a very slight increase. The reality is that despite the conventional wisdom, prohibition does not really result in less use. For most drugs it results in more.

As for legalizing being only a matter of time? People with any kind of common sense can tell the drug war isnt working... so I doubt it will ever end.

Theres already a black market supplying underage customers.

As for the effect on adolescent use, the best case study we have shows there would be a very slight increase. The reality is that despite the conventional wisdom, prohibition does not really result in less use. For most drugs it results in more.

As for legalizing being only a matter of time? People with any kind of common sense can tell the drug war isnt working... so I doubt it will ever end.

My point is, making adolescent use as a part of the argument for legalization is a red herring. Your best case study bears that out. Unless you are proposing unrestricted use at any age, there will be a black market to supply those who are under age.

I wonder about the black market thing. I may be out of the loop on this but in my town I dont seem to see or hear a lot of evidence of people getting booze for minors. Where I grew up drinking age was 21 and I recall in my later teen years we could usually find an older friend to get us some brew for a weekend bash, but it seems to me these days thats just not done so much. I guess there will always be black markets as long as people have money to spend but hopefully the trend may just become people telling the youngsters to just wait until you are old enough to get your own.

I wonder about the black market thing. I may be out of the loop on this but in my town I dont seem to see or hear a lot of evidence of people getting booze for minors. .

Look at the parents.

I was astounded to find out how many 'sane' parents in my circle who said they bought it for their u/age kids to take to a party.

I wonder about the black market thing. I may be out of the loop on this but in my town I dont seem to see or hear a lot of evidence of people getting booze for minors. Where I grew up drinking age was 21 and I recall in my later teen years we could usually find an older friend to get us some brew for a weekend bash, but it seems to me these days thats just not done so much. I guess there will always be black markets as long as people have money to spend but hopefully the trend may just become people telling the youngsters to just wait until you are old enough to get your own.

Ya but why buy the stuff in a liquor store to supply minors when you can grow it yourself and take 100% of the proceeds. No pesky taxes.

Look at the parents.

I was astounded to find out how many 'sane' parents in my circle who said they bought it for their u/age kids to take to a party.

Interesting. A I say I am out of that loop. I know back in my day there was no way anybody in my family was going to provide me, so we used to rely on somebodys older brother or friend and head off to a lake somewhere and light a campfire. Wouldnt dare go home.

Ya but why buy the stuff in a liquor store to supply minors when you can grow it yourself and take 100% of the proceeds. No pesky taxes.

I can certainly see that point, but I also wonder if a lot of people wouldnt just say, ah hell Ill just go buy some at the gov. store and not have to worry about cops. I guess it all comes down to price point.

Only because it is a lot harder to make and conceal a case of beer or a bottle of vodka than a few grams of pot. That's why legalization will have little or no effect on reducing adolescent use.

And that's why we have to turn millions of adults into criminals. Now I get it.

So why aren't we doing the same things with regards to booze again?

And that's why we have to turn millions of adults into criminals. Now I get it.

So why aren't we doing the same things with regards to booze again?

I was just responding to some else who brought up legalization and adolescent use. Adolescents will get booze or pot regardless but pot is much easier than booze, to produce and sell illegally.

Whether you agree with the law or not, those adults chose to break it, no one forced them, so no one "turned them into criminals".

Edited by Wilber

Let me rephrase that, millions of Canadian adults are expected to forgo an indulgence that is demonstrably less harmful relative to others, for the sake of trying to prevent a minuscule increase in the number of kids from indulging.

I just said that whether it's legalized or not won't stop kids from indulging.

Interesting. A I say I am out of that loop. I know back in my day there was no way anybody in my family was going to provide me, so we used to rely on somebodys older brother or friend and head off to a lake somewhere and light a campfire. Wouldnt dare go home.

Oh the older brother/sister thing still ...not sure but still probably the main access to booze , if not the parents own liquor cabinet.NOw the parents (some of 'em) buy it for their kids so they arent the squares without at a party (wtf?)

There was no way I was going to steal...er I mean sneak (borrow?) booze from my folks, too worried Dad would lop my head off. I went home.....long after they were sleeping. Being the youngest of four brothers, my parents were likely "ah screw it, too old to care anymore. Just gonna go to bed"

Oh the older brother/sister thing still ...not sure but still probably the main access to booze , if not the parents own liquor cabinet.NOw the parents (some of 'em) buy it for their kids so they arent the squares without at a party (wtf?)

There was no way I was going to steal...er I mean sneak (borrow?) booze from my folks, too worried Dad would lop my head off. I went home.....long after they were sleeping. Being the youngest of four brothers, my parents were likely "ah screw it, too old to care anymore. Just gonna go to bed"

I did once either sneak or steal, it certainly wasnt a borrow, a slug of dandelion wine my grandfather used to make and let sit to age in a big pantry in the house. All the sediment from the bottom came shooting up, there was dandelion wine shooting out my nose, I could barely suck a breath, not a pretty sight. But I learned some kind of a lesson that day. (I think)