Why is Harper keeping Fantino?

Topaz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be surprised when this particular gets demoted.

Well, of course not. He has been canned from pretty much all of his jobs , and at his previous spots he sucked huge. But he does know when to move on, and hopefully this time it is to retirement or some such.

As a cop he was a giant douchebag, and that comes from his partners and underlings . His ego surpassed all.

Well, of course not. He has been canned from pretty much all of his jobs , and at his previous spots he sucked huge. But he does know when to move on, and hopefully this time it is to retirement or some such.

As a cop he was a giant douchebag, and that comes from his partners and underlings . His ego surpassed all.

The only time in my life I have ever donated money to a politician was to the Liberal running against him, even though I don't live anywhere near there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

O'Toole? Well, he did go into the military, never left Canada, I believe he was a helicopter pilot, then went on to become a lawyer, then on to running for MP. Since he's a lawyer , he knows how to talk and he's from Ontario, which Harper needs all the MP's from Ontario to get re-elected. The only thing that I don't care about him is when he's talking about the military and the soldiers who has seen "the front line", he keeps saying how he was in the military too.

Putting Fantino into the vets portfolio was an smart political move by the PM. I think everybody agrees that the Harper Ministers (perhaps excluding Flaherty {at the time} and Baird) follow the PMO orders or else. It is a management style that has kept Harper in power for all these years - and good for him.

For the last few years, the PMO has been cutting back on expenses and the military/vets are very, very expensive for this government. He puts Fantino in there knowing that he is a talking head and will take the flack for all the cutbacks that the PMO is making. Sure enough, the public focuses on Fantino and craps all over him - for doing what the PMO has ordered him to do.

Now we are into election year. The cuts have been made, the money has been saved, Fantino has done his job and will now be paid off for his following orders with another job that pays just as well. Now a new guy in parachuted in, will be given a few bucks more to satisfy the vets and masses and Harper will look like a benefactor - just in time for the election.

A very smart political move.

Putting Fantino into the vets portfolio was an smart political move by the PM. I think everybody agrees that the Harper Ministers (perhaps excluding Flaherty {at the time} and Baird) follow the PMO orders or else. It is a management style that has kept Harper in power for all these years - and good for him.

For the last few years, the PMO has been cutting back on expenses and the military/vets are very, very expensive for this government. He puts Fantino in there knowing that he is a talking head and will take the flack for all the cutbacks that the PMO is making. Sure enough, the public focuses on Fantino and craps all over him - for doing what the PMO has ordered him to do.

Now we are into election year. The cuts have been made, the money has been saved, Fantino has done his job and will now be paid off for his following orders with another job that pays just as well. Now a new guy in parachuted in, will be given a few bucks more to satisfy the vets and masses and Harper will look like a benefactor - just in time for the election.

A very smart political move.

I find it hard to believe that anybody thinks putting Fantino anywhere was a smart move, but the VA? Look at the fallout he has to clean up now. Screwing vets over is not a good way to become popular as we have all seen here, and of course Harper can't totally throw him under the bus or he looks stupid for having appointed him in the first place.

I stated a smart POLITICAL move. The Harper government has pared $millions from expenditures to the vets, Fantino has taken the blame, the new guys comes in with $millions to give away and the election takes place this year. The PMO wipes its hands of the Fantino fiasco. The only people who will end up blaming Harper are the ones who would not have voted for him in the first place.

I am not a Harper fan but believe in giving credit where due. His ability to keep power for this long shows shrewd political moves and manipulating public opinion.

I stated a smart POLITICAL move. The Harper government has pared $millions from expenditures to the vets, Fantino has taken the blame, the new guys comes in with $millions to give away and the election takes place this year. The PMO wipes its hands of the Fantino fiasco. The only people who will end up blaming Harper are the ones who would not have voted for him in the first place.

I am not a Harper fan but believe in giving credit where due. His ability to keep power for this long shows shrewd political moves and manipulating public opinion.

I don't think alienating a group largely respected across all political party's is a particularly smart political move. Fantino is out because of the liability he represents due to the bad blood with the vets, but he's still in cabinet because Harper needs the riding of Vaughan. Harper's strategy's are obvious.

• 4 weeks later...