.....I Wonder if the Rams Can Survive This?

The 1968 Olympics Black Power salute was an act of protest by the African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos during their medal ceremony at the 1968 Summer Olympics in the Olympic Stadium in Mexico City. ..

Smith and Carlos were largely ostracized by the U.S. sporting establishment and they were subject to criticism. Time magazine showed the five-ring Olympic logo with the words, "Angrier, Nastier, Uglier", instead of "Faster, Higher, Stronger".Back home, they were subject to abuse and they and their families received death threats.

Smith and Carlos received an Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2008 ESPY Awards honoring their action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute#Aftermath

I remember it well. I was into athletics at the time and it upset me. Here were two individuals who competed to represent their country (by qualifying they kept others from the opportunity) and then a political statement taking away from the sense of global unity of Olympics. That was also the Black Panthers salute, an organization supporting violence and chaos.

I likened it to the Hitler salutes at earlier Olympics.

I thought it was inappropriate then and think that it is inappropriate now.

BC_ do you remember the incident from when it happened ? What was your reaction at the time ?

Yes....I recall watching it on television. The protest action was roundly criticized and the Olympic Committee took away their medals. Jesse Owens of 1936 fame commented on their protest in an unfavourable light. There was a lot going on in the 1960's, and 1968 was one helluva year for the U.S. My reaction was ho-hum because nobody was assassinated, cities didn't burn, and the U.S. still won the race. Displays and protests for "Black power" and "Black Pride" were commonplace at the time.

This Nation article captures some of the sentiment (even has Canadian content):

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168209/after-forty-four-years-its-time-brent-musburger-apologized-john-carlos-and-tommie-smith

The Rams protest doesn't really compare for size of stage and impact, and surely the nation will survive.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I remember it well. I was into athletics at the time and it upset me. Here were two individuals who competed to represent their country (by qualifying they kept others from the opportunity) and then a political statement taking away from the sense of global unity of Olympics. That was also the Black Panthers salute, an organization supporting violence and chaos.

I likened it to the Hitler salutes at earlier Olympics.

Right. The Black Panthers are exactly like the Nazis.

Tell me again who the Black Panthers were targeting for genocide?

Why would you say that the Black Panthers are exactly like the Nazis? They are two very different organizations at two very different times. The only thing that they might have in common was that each had an arm salute that reflected their support for a cause. When those two athletes made the Black Panther salute during the playing of the American national anthem it reminded a lot of people (and examples given in the press) of the Nazi salute that the German athletes made during the playing to the German national anthem.

BTW - Who were the Black Panthers targeting for genocide? I do not recall that in their published manifesto.

Edited by Big Guy

Why would you say that the Black Panthers are exactly like the Nazis?

I likened [black Panther salutes] to the Hitler salutes at earlier Olympics.

You are likening the Black Panthers to the Nazis. Then you backpedal with this:

The only thing that they might have in common was that each had an arm salute that reflected their support for a cause.

So you chose to liken the Black Panthers to Nazis despite the fact that you could have likened them to literally any other group with a salute like The Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, any branch of the military, the Romans, the airline industry, Indian "namaste," or any other number of salutes.

Nope. Black Panthers. Just like the Nazis.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24855473/nfl-wont-discipline-rams-players-who-supported-ferguson-protesters

Where was Goddell and his heavy hand on this one. Can't be seen supporting those who support thugs right? Rumour is the BofG is taking Roge off the discipline train. Odd timing non?

The NFL is basically made up of thugs. No surprise some big, black thugs would show their solidarity with another big black thug.

Guyser2 - Do I liken hailing a taxicab to a Hitler salute? Not sure how to respond. How do you hail a taxicab?

If you are in front of a government building and you whistle then you might get mugged by some feminists. If you extend your arm in Jerusalem so it looks like a Nazi salute then you may get a bullet through your forehead. If you step in front of a cab in New York you may get run over.

To cybercoma - I do not backpedal. If I have made a mistake then I acknowledge that fact.

You really seem to have a burr under your saddle on this one. What's your problem?

I tell you what - The next time that the Boy Scouts, Girl Guides and any branch of the military, The Romans, the airline industry, Indian "Namaste" or any salutes are made during the presentation of medals and the singing of the national anthem of the winners at an Olympics then I will probably compare that salute with those of the Black Panther salute in 1968 and the German Olympic Team in 1936.

I would probably also find that not appropriate but will wait if/until it happens.

Even those two protests were lame according to modern reactions. The next protest may well be some guy from Russia "mooning" somebody from Kiev (or vice versa) at the Rio games.

I know, pretty soon it's going to be difficult to find anyone who is not labelled "thug".

How many NFL players have been arrested for violent crimes? What is the job of the average NFL player? To bash and hurt people?

Edited by Argus