Topic Importance in 2015 Election

webc5

With the federal election less than a year away I'm curious what are your thoughts as what topics will be a big political issue.

Possible topics:

Assisted Suicide

Abortion

Climate Change

Foreign Trade Workers

Gun Control

Health Care

Marijuana

Prostitution

Taxes(i.e income splitting)

Terrorism

XL Pipline

I know I might have missed some. Anyways I've curious to know what you think the big issues will be in the next election.

I will make my list.

1. Taxes(very important)

2. Marijuana (new topic I think a lot of people will talk about his)

3. Health Care (very important, but people take about this all the time)

4. Terrorism (people will be afraid of my attacks)

5. Gun Control (a lot of crime this year)

6. XL pipeline

7. Climate Change

8. Prostitution(how does the new law protect sex workers?)

9. Assisted Suicide (I think the SCC will strike down the laws like they did for prostitution)

10. Foreign Trade Worker

11. Abortion (Justin Trudeau is pushing for this)

It's only a list I could be wrong what do you think of the list? I would also like to see other people make their list.

Edited by webc5

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Abortion

Why? The question is settled in Canada. No political party has any plans to change the status quo.

Climate Change

Again why? It is not as if any policies made in Canada are going to change anything. Useless posturing is a waste of time and money.

Foreign Trade Workers

Why not immigration as a general issue? Family class immigrants with no skills and bogus refugees are much bigger issue.

Gun Control

Why? We have all of the regulations we need.

Health Care

Provincial issue. Not relevant in a federal election.

This election will be about supporting children. On the one hand you have the NDP and Liberals pushing an expensive system that will only benefit of minority of well off parents (based on the Quebec experience). On the other you have the Conservatives that provide direct funding to parents in order to allow them to make choices that make sense for them.

Edited by TimG

Your post only mentions what you think won't be a topic of discussion for the federal election. So you would agree that assisted suicide, marijuana, prostitution, taxes, terriorism and XL pipeline will be topics of discussion for the federal election?

I stopped processing your list. That does not imply support.

marijuana and prostitution are niche issues and are not likely to matter much.

assisted suicide will be decided by the court and no party is likely to challenge the decision.

taxes are a catch all - all elections are about taxes.

keystone xl is a US question. the broader issue of NIMBY politics preventing Canada from benefiting from the resources it has could be an issue.

terrorism - tough to say. there is not much reason for the NDP or Libs to make an issue of it. Depends on what bills the Conservatives bring forward in the wake of the Ottawa shooting.

Edited by TimG

Economy (including income inequality)

Taxes

Topics surrounding terrorism: ie: Government vs civil liberties/surveillance and other domestic policy, and foreign policy in the middle east.

The environment

Immigration

All the dumbass policies put in place by Harper & cabinet plus the ones passed but rejected by the Supreme Court.

Above all, the biggest election topic will be whether or not Trudeau is qualified/experienced enough or not to be PM. Many Canadians don't like the Harper gov but the alternatives have been horrid the last 2 elections (Dion, Ignatieff, Jack Layton).

The major policy issue seems to be shaping up to be which party will best support the middle class family in terms of subsidies and tax cuts.

I don't think any of the parties will touch immigration. Health care should be discussed but none of the parties has shown any ideas on the topic. Public Safety, ie, terrorism, crime and the like, will be brought up repeatedly by the Tories but lagely ignored by the other parties. The opposition will try to make the environment a big deal but clearly most Canadians aren't terribly interested.

An ongoing theme will be Harper's control freak persona and his 'meanness', but don't look to either opposition party for any ideas or pledges they can be held to on ceding more control back to parliament and their caucuses. Both opposition leaders are control freaks themselves who accept no arguments or opposition within their parties. It's very much their way or the highway, and that's certainly not going to change if they win and get more power.

The Liberals will claim that Harper hates women's rights - abortion, prostitution, health care, they'll argue that marijuana is good for everyone (tax wise), and that Harper doesn't care about the climate.

The Conservatives will argue that the economy is good, jobs are good and a strong foreign policy is important.

Why? The question is settled in Canada. No political party has any plans to change the status quo.

Again why? It is not as if any policies made in Canada are going to change anything. Useless posturing is a waste of time and money.

Why not immigration as a general issue? Family class immigrants with no skills and bogus refugees are much bigger issue.

Why? We have all of the regulations we need.

Provincial issue. Not relevant in a federal election.

This election will be about supporting children. On the one hand you have the NDP and Liberals pushing an expensive system that will only benefit of minority of well off parents (based on the Quebec experience). On the other you have the Conservatives that provide direct funding to parents in order to allow them to make choices that make sense for them.

and the cons. ramming home their income splitting their own previous finance minister dismissed because it helps all of 14% of Canadians.

The big topics for this election will be Duffy, Brazeau, Walin, and all the other major Harper failures.

Yes indeedy! I would have made a bet Harper would have thought about an early election so he wouldn't have the Duffy trial revealing who knows what all in the middle of a campaign. But of course had he done that he would have been caught in yet another broken promise. should be an interesting spring next.

With the federal election less than a year away I'm curious what are your thoughts as what topics will be a big political issue.

Possible topics:

Assisted Suicide

Abortion

Climate Change

Foreign Trade Workers

Gun Control

Health Care

Marijuana

Prostitution

Taxes(i.e income splitting)

Terrorism

XL Pipline

I know I might have missed some. Anyways I've curious to know what you think the big issues will be in the next election.

I will make my list.

1. Taxes(very important)

6. XL pipeline

7. Climate Change

9. Assisted Suicide (I think the SCC will strike down the laws like they did for prostitution)

10. Foreign Trade Worker

It's only a list I could be wrong what do you think of the list? I would also like to see other people make their list.

I know that one big issue should be Integrity followed by accountability lets make this #1 and if we can get that I think the rest will follow.

Don't forget we can only get the real info . through freedom of information at a small cost and even with that you may not get everything.

So there you have what I think is important.

and the cons. ramming home their income splitting their own previous finance minister dismissed because it helps all of 14% of Canadians.

14% is 4 million people more than will helped by the NDP $15 daycare nonsense. By putting a cap on the 'tax splitting' benefit the Conservatives have addressed the one legitimate criticism of the policy.

14% is 4 million people more than will helped by the NDP $15 daycare nonsense. By putting a cap on the 'tax splitting' benefit the Conservatives have addressed the one legitimate criticism of the policy.

The 15$ a day nonsense as you call it actually helps people who need it. The cons income splitting is totally retrograde. But normal for Harper.and previous cpc ideas.

The 15$ a day nonsense as you call it actually helps people who need it.

Who says a family with a stay at home parent does not need it? I guess that a logical consequence when you think that people who forego income to raise their own children are somehow defective. The NDP plan also ensures that only parents who know how to 'work the system' will get the spaces since there will never be enough and those parents are likely to be mostly higher income

Despite its political and parental popularity, however, there’s ample evidence showing the massive public subsidies required to fund cheap or free daycare flow mainly to those at the top of the income spectrum. Families in the top 25 per cent of annual earnings are nearly twice as likely to have a child in Quebec’s $7-a-day program, compared to families in the bottom quarter. In other words, the province is spending billions per year to make life easier for its wealthiest citizens. This makes no sense, particularly in an era of fiscal restraint.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/quebecs-plan-to-end-7-a-day-daycare-is-a-breakthrough-for-economic-fairness-and-common-sense/

Of course, you are not interested a rational analysis of childcare plans and policies that let parents choose for themselves. It is nothing but ideology for you and if it is not unionized government run daycare you reject it.

Edited by TimG

Who says a family with a stay at home parent does not need it? I guess that a logical consequence when you think that people who forego income to raise their own children are somehow defective. The NDP plan also ensures that only parents who know how to 'work the system' will get the spaces since there will never be enough and those parents are likely to be mostly higher income

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/quebecs-plan-to-end-7-a-day-daycare-is-a-breakthrough-for-economic-fairness-and-common-sense/

Of course, you are not interested a rational analysis of childcare plans and policies that let parents choose for themselves. It is nothing but ideology for you.

Check the numbers in Harper's plan and see how much a low income single parent with one child will receive compared to a two parent family with one from income splitting. Completely backasswords to how it should work.

Check the numbers in Harper's plan and see how much a low income single parent with one child will receive compared to a two parent family with one from income splitting.

$160/month per child + extra deductions for childcare expenses - guaranteed no matter where the parent lives. With the NDP plan the single parent gets nothing unless they are one of the lucky few living close to one of subsidized daycares AND is lucky enough to get a space. IOW - the Conservative plan is a much better deal for single parents too.

$160/month per child + extra deductions for childcare expenses - guaranteed no matter where the parent lives. With the NDP plan the single parent gets nothing unless they are one of the lucky few living close to one of subsidized daycares AND is lucky enough to get a space. IOW - the Conservative plan is a much better deal for single parents too.

Apparently Jim Flaherty disagrees with you.

I will make my list.

1. Taxes(very important)

6. XL pipeline

7. Climate Change

10. Foreign Trade Worker

Umm.. do you have something to tell us?

Given your track record of completely misrepresenting what was said your claim does not mean much. I doubt Flaherty was talking about this particular plan.

Flaherty was talking about something Harper called "income splitting" If your track record wasn't so narrowmindedly pro Harper/CPC you might see the light.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

Flaherty was talking about something Harper called "income splitting"

Now you are admitting you have no clue. There are many ways to implement a policy. Flaherty was talking about doing it the same way it is done for seniors. The current plan is nothing like that which means you have absolutely no idea what Flaherty would have thought of it.

Now you are admitting you have no clue. There are many ways to implement a policy. Flaherty was talking about doing it the same way it is done for seniors. The current plan is nothing like that which means you have absolutely no idea what Flaherty would have thought of it.

Now you are showing you have no clue. Income splitting has nothing to do with an age group.