Ryder Cup

Wilber

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will record it and watch it. Not a huge fan.... but I do enjoy it.

Anyone play golf? I don't get out nearly as much as I would like, but I do enjoy playing the sport. That one nice shot every round just keeps me coming back.... I think it teaches patience and humility...

Obviously the Americans need to drop all the old geezers like Mickelson, Furyk and just start over with the kids.

Maybe forget about having a captain at all, just let the players take full responsibility for the pairings and the outcome.

Except Furyk is their highest ranked player and Mickelson is their fifth highest. They were automatically on the team because of their world ranking. Don't dare badmouth Phil in front of my wife, he's her fave. Mickelson was asked whether there needed to be a different formula and he flat out said yes. He thought Azinger had a great formula when they won in 08 and doesn't know why they don't go back to it. I think all was not happiness. Phil probably isn't far away from being a captain so it will be interesting to see what he does when the time comes.

As far as captains go, I think someone has to be in charge and a team will pick a leader of their own if they aren't given one. Otherwise, there will be anarchy.

President's Cup is between the US and the rest of the world other than Europe. The US usually wins that one.

If there were some long standing tradition w the Ryder Cup I could see holding the status quo, however there isnt.

The rules have been changed numerous times, including who can compete....as it was only Gr Britain at the start.

So why not make it so better golfers can play?

If there were some long standing tradition w the Ryder Cup I could see holding the status quo, however there isnt.

The rules have been changed numerous times, including who can compete....as it was only Gr Britain at the start.

So why not make it so better golfers can play?

There aren't very many better golfers out there than you will see in Ryder Cup. Aside from those two, it seems only Australia and South Africa consistently produce top golfers and not very many of them.

PS Just looking at the world rankings. Of the top 24 in the world, only four were not from the US or Europe.

Edited by Wilber

Dont you think things may have been a bit different if Adam Scott Jason Day et al were playing on a newly named Western Team ?

I do, but to be honest, not a big enough fan to care.

Western Team? Australia is in the Eastern hemisphere, so is South Africa. On the other hand, maybe Europe is good enough to take on the rest of the world including the US but I don't think so.

I don't think the US is far off winning again. It won't take much for things to swing the other way and when I look at the players they field, it is hard to look at them as underdogs. Europe has been on a roll but I don't think there is that much between them.

Saw the Michelson interview after the games. He is no longer on Tom Watsons Christmas card list.

I knew that Michelson has never been popular with the other players and I now can understand why. Phil was benched for the Saturday matches and took it personally. I do not think that we will see Phil being asked to captain this team in the near future.

Saw the Michelson interview after the games. He is no longer on Tom Watsons Christmas card list.

I knew that Michelson has never been popular with the other players and I now can understand why. Phil was benched for the Saturday matches and took it personally. I do not think that we will see Phil being asked to captain this team in the near future.

I just saw a greenside interview, not the press conference. Been reading about it though and it doesn't sound pretty. Mickelson has always been outspoken but it seems things got carried too far. You may well be right.

When the top players who were born and played their early years in the USA lose to a group of top players who were born and played in Britain, what does that mean?

Europe has better people than the USA?

Europe has a better coaching and programs than the USA?

The Europeans have DNA that gives them advantage over the USA?

Does it really mean or show anything.

When the top players who were born and played their early years in the USA lose to a group of top players who were born and played in Britain, what does that mean?

It shows that on that day, on that course, the Europeans had a better team.

It means what people make of it, just like any other sporting event.

I certainly wouldn't say the Euros are better people or have better DNA but they seem to have grasped the team concept a bit better.

Some of the Euros played at US colleges on scholarships. The US PGA is still the worlds top tour although the Euros might have some cause to question that. It's a global game and like other global games such as soccer, members of national teams play for club teams all over the world.

Except Furyk is their highest ranked player and Mickelson is their fifth highest. They were automatically on the team because of their world ranking. Don't dare badmouth Phil in front of my wife, he's her fave. Mickelson was asked whether there needed to be a different formula and he flat out said yes. He thought Azinger had a great formula when they won in 08 and doesn't know why they don't go back to it. I think all was not happiness. Phil probably isn't far away from being a captain so it will be interesting to see what he does when the time comes.

As far as captains go, I think someone has to be in charge and a team will pick a leader of their own if they aren't given one. Otherwise, there will be anarchy.

Except Furyk has an absolutely horrible record at the Ryder, he is worse than deadweight, more of an automatic loss. That is no disrespect to him, just the facts.

Mickelson has been average at best, and has displayed that he has zero leadership. IMO he just took himself out of contention for any kind of captain position.

This competition has a team score, but golf is not a team game. There is no dynamic response to what the other team does, each golfers objective is not to stop the other guy but to personally get the little white ball into the hole.

So team strategy, all the blah blah about pairings is nearly meaningless. The Americans lost because nearly all their players did not play well enough to beat the Yurpeens. Thats what is so annoying about Mickelson, he's blasting Watson while personally failing to achieve anything noteworthy, again. I would not want Mickelson on my team, he creates anarchy while creating little and refusing personal responsibility.

Edited by overthere

The team part is crucial, I don't think it can be under estimated. Right now the US is somewhat at sea in that respect. In other team sports it would be called a slump and the deeper they get the harder they can be to get out of. Golf is arguably the most mental game of all.

Some players thrive in Ryder Cup and other great players don't. The greatest Ryder Cup player of them all never won a major.

I think Mickelson will have cause to regret his words. It will be interesting to see what he does about it, if anything.

Edited by Wilber