Invalidating Canadian Passports

Big Guy

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the above pasted comment, the supreme court has ruled that you can NOT be denied a passport based on the Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms.

But it looks like the Canadian passport order was amended to deny someone based on security reasons, where the supreme court gave it's blessing.

However, for me this raises the question of what a security threat is?

As a side note, if you lie on your passport application or fill it out improperly, you will be denied one.

WWWTT

A passport is a privelege like a drivers license. You have a right to apply for one and own one but can have it refused or revoked if you don't play by the rules. Somewhat different than citizenship were you can be thrown in jail for not playing by the rules but you remain a Canadian no matter.

No it's not!

Privelage and right are not the same thing.

Keep in mind, that if you break the laws in Canada, and are convicted, you lose your rights as well.

WWWTT

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. For the most part you are stating the obious. If you are saying a passport is a right then you haven't understood your own link you posted.

The supreme court ruled that the Canadian passport order must be in compliance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Therefore a passport is a right!

Section 10.1 was added to include a threat to Canadian security (whatever that means), that section had to be changed in order for it to comply with the CCORAF.

However it is clear that a passport is a right and not a privelage!

WWWTT

Insert Facepalm here.

No you dont lose your rights upon a conviction

On another note, lots of people who have convictions have Passports.

Ask Paul Bernardo how his rights are working out for him!

Under what section of the CCofRF?

Need a link....buuuuuddy

Section 6

Already copied in an earlier comment.

Man you're a piss poor debater!

WWWTT

You're apparently not so good at reading. That's I guess how you get to be head PPD. As G2 pointed out you still have rights even after a conviction. But you do lose some rights depending on the type of conviction. You are still a Canadain even after a murder conviction, but don't bother trying to apply for a passport while you are serving your sentence.

Ask Paul Bernardo how his rights are working out for him!

Section 6

I did.

Guess what, he is protected, as are you, under the Charter exactly the same.

If not, please please do tell us what rights he has lost. This will be fun. (I suppose his mobility right is restricted, but beyond that nada.

Already copied in an earlier comment.

Man you're a piss poor debater!

WWWTT

A wiki link is not a Charter document.

Piss poor? Ha. you are getting eaten here, mainly due to ignorance .

But do post up what rights are lost. We all needa good laugh

You should re-read your link WW. A passport is clearly not a right. What passport Canada giveth, passport Canada can taketh away.

Are you saying the Canadian passport order is ABOVE the supreme court of Canada????

The court unanimously agreed the denial of passport service on national grounds is in compliance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms,

Go ahead and read this. What does it say?

Do you know what COMPLIANCE means? Have you heard of "THE CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS" Now tell me, if something is a "right", do you think the CCORAF would some how cover it?

If you still don't get it, then you never will!

WWWTT

But do post up what rights are lost. We all needa good laugh

Hey buddy, quit wasting my time with your drivel nonsense PISS POOR DEBATING garbage!

How you aren't banned from this site is beyond me?

Go ahead and waste your time throwing insults like a little boy who lost his toy shovel at the park, I've got better things to do then entertain your little temper tantrums your ROYAL HIGHNESS OF PISS POOR DEBATERS!

We're done here buddy!

WWWTT

Hey buddy, quit wasting my time with your drivel nonsense PISS POOR DEBATING garbage!

I see, in other words you havent a F***ing clue. LOL

Piss poor means I am right since no counter is offered.

Go ahead and waste your time throwing insults like a little boy who lost his toy shovel at the park, I've got better things to do then entertain your little temper tantrums your ROYAL HIGHNESS OF PISS POOR DEBATERS!

We're done here buddy!

WWWTT

Your style of writing is an insult to all of us. Its moronic, and almost without merit and substance.

As you seem to be writing in caps, that siginifies frustration, which is understandable when one is proven wrong time and again, only to keep coming back for more.

I am quite happy you are done, it was getting comical how off base you were.

But anytime you want to post the Charter specific that enshrines one to get a passport, be my guest . In the meantime I will give you a little leg up ( ya know , like helping a wayward toddler) and thats to say everyone has Right to APPLY for a passport.

Comedy gold Jerry !

The supreme court ruled that the Canadian passport order must be in compliance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Therefore a passport is a right!

Section 10.1 was added to include a threat to Canadian security (whatever that means), that section had to be changed in order for it to comply with the CCORAF.

However it is clear that a passport is a right and not a privelage!

WWWTT

Not sure what you are driving at. The court ruled unanimously the DENIAL of passport service on national grounds was in compliance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It is not a right.

The legal issues surrounding this can be debated but what is obvious is that Canada owes absolutely nothing to individuals who leave Canada to go fight for ISIS. If there's a way to make sure they never come back, all the better. Better yet if such monsters are blown to bits while they are over there, Canadian passport and all.

Same thing goes for Canadians who go and fight for others who commit human rights violations? Like the Canadians who are fighting for the IDF?

At the same time, the National Post reported more than 100 Canadians are serving in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) despite having no direct ties to the country. Other Jewish Canadians with family connections and dual citizenship have served in the IDF over the years but the so-called "lone soldiers" are simply drawn to defend the Jewish homeland. Two American lone soldiers were among those killed in the IDF's Gaza offensive this week.

Link