The Purity of Aboriginal Blood? Who cares?

It's a privilege not having to worry about finding someone that shares the same culture, ethnicity, race, and heritage as you. It's something I didn't have to think about because I wasn't the Other in society. She is. So of course it makes people feel uncomfortable when they're confronted with the fact that she lives a very different reality than they do.

My fiancée is in the 'other society' (sic). So what? Why is that even important?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I said. I said that should never be a defining factor in social relations between people, especially when culture is being interchanged with blood and race.

They are invariably interlinked. How forceful are you going to project her culture, then your children with mates (different heritage) and children's children?

You can deny this but it makes your arguement weaker.

Lots of cultures don't like people "dating" or "marrying" outside of their racial or cultural group.

And should we be okay with that?

When a group is demographically challenged, yes.

A while back when somebody posted a thread about whites becoming a minority in North America, the end of race was touted as a good thing by "the left" here.

We won't need equity programs! Genetic diversity will make people healthier! People who marry within their own race are living in the past! Get on the diversity train, whitey!

I don't object to this woman choosing her spouse by whatever criteria she wishes. I just want to point out that some of you guys are defending her for advocating the same kind of ideas about maintaining racial purity that Lictor616 used to promote here.

-k

Are you intentionally glossing over the fact that the experiences of racial and ethnic minorities are entirely different than those of white people in North America? Even if whites fall below 50% in NA, they will still hold a plurality and they still largely control the institutions and positions of power. The idea that "whites" are threatened is laughable and shows how people are blind to their privilege. There is no straight-line between whites and aboriginals here. One's culture is on the verge of extinction, the other is not. Residential Schools intentionally tried to destroy their culture. The aim was to make them more like "us." To say that actively trying to preserve your race and culture when you're a minority and clearly under attack is the same as "preserving" the dominant culture is absurdity at best. The preservation of the dominant culture and race often involves destroying all others that are different. When people talk about the end of "race," it's not literal. They mean the end of a racial hierarchy.

The cbc was allowing comments on this article, of the few i saw all of them questioned the same basic and obvious hypocrisy of the writing, the comments have now been disapeared, shocking. Anyway, the aboriginal population of Canada is afaik the fastest growing ethnic group in the country, now some areas might be accounting for the majority of that growth, but they generally don't seem to be in any danger of extinction. It does amaze though that it's the progressives that go out of their way to defned what in any other circumstance would be a considered racist or at least distasteful if practiced by anyone else, a sentiment i would agree with, but not just for some, for everyone.

That's really the issue isn't it? I was chastised in another thread for my lack of sympathy for the horrible conditions on reserves. The irony of that of course, is that I want to fix that...elimination of reserves as they currently exist and the integration into wider society of aboriginal society is what's needed for that to happen. The irony of that, of course, being that I make a very good living off of the fact that a reserve exists.

No, that isn't the issue.

Your interest in 'Fixing' the conditions in a place that is not yours to fix is part of the bigger problem.

With respect, it is not your community and not yours to fix. How would you feel if those First Nations people from the reserve came to your town and got all paternalistic about the problems that appalled them?.

"Integration" is viewed by many of those being "integrated" as being cultural genocide.

Integration is not required at all by ANY Canadian citizen, old or new. There is no reason to apply a different standard to First Nations.

A different standard is applied to fn people now, that's the point.

And 'with respect' none intended, you have no idea who I am. I'm part of the Canadian community and I live and work with more aboriginal people than most people will ever meet. There is a different standard and system applie to fn people now, and that's a problem.

A different standard is applied to fn people now, that's the point.

And 'with respect' none intended, you have no idea who I am. I'm part of the Canadian community and I live and work with more aboriginal people than most people will ever meet. There is a different standard and system applie to fn people now, and that's a problem.

Let me know how more of the same old shit works out for you.

Where did I say anything about the same old shit? I'm proposing a radical alternation that gives fn people the same rights and freedoms as all other Canadians. You are calling that paternalistic, when in fact that status quo is the most paternalistic situation of all.

Where did I say anything about the same old shit? I'm proposing a radical alternation that gives fn people the same rights and freedoms as all other Canadians. You are calling that paternalistic, when in fact that status quo is the most paternalistic situation of all.

I agree that FN should live in much more favourable environments than on same Indian Reserves that I have seen. But what does this have to do with this woman selecting a native man to marry and father her children?

That's where the conversation has gone, for some reason (although the entire issue is very much related - the idea that aboriginal people should somehow be kept separate from modern society).

I disagree that it's very much related. A FN woman wanting to have a baby with a FN man does not indicate that she is separate from society. How do you see that? East Indian people do it all the time. Does that make them separate from society? It is very difficult for me to follow your logic.

You know that her reasoning was not that simple. You're trying to twist her words to make then less offensive. You can't gloss over her words about duty and the need to preserve fn blood. You may not be aware of how many First Nations people see themselves. Separate is very much a thing on their mind, and it's the root of this kind of thinking. There's a reason that I'm so opposed to it, and unless you live with it, I don't expect you to understand (of course you also think arranged marriages are aok).

It's goes completely against freedom of conscience. It's indefensible, and is marriage decided along racial lines.

There are many young asian people who trust their parents judgements of who they would be most happy and successful at in a marriage with someone. If you were to have conversations with these young people and their parents, you may come to a different conclusion. I must admit, that at first I was against it, but after listening to these people and looking at it from their point of view, who are we to judge their decisions.

It would be interesting to get some data on the longevity of family arranged marriages as compared to those based on "love".

Well, I do believe that arranged marriages last longer than marriages that we are familiar with, however, there are most likely instances where they don't divorce because of 'duty'. That's not good for women, especially if she is dependent on the man and not good for the man if he is unhappy in a dead marriage. On the other hand, do they work harder to make their marriage succeed unlike us, who drop out of a marriage without working at it.

The last thing we should be doing is imposing our cultural actions on others, even if it's pre-arranged marriages and it differs from ours.

If someone is in Canada, they have become part of this social fabric, and we as a society have the right to establish acceptable social norms, while respecting the rights of individuals within that society.

If someone is in Canada, they have become part of this social fabric, and we as a society have the right to establish acceptable social norms, while respecting the rights of individuals within that society.

Are you serious? What exactly are acceptable social norms? Maybe we should be checking in with you first? Canada is a multicultural society. Do you know what that means?