The Purity of Aboriginal Blood? Who cares?

It's fine to shrug and say it's inevitable when your culture is the dominant one. If yours was the one dying, you oils do what you could to preserve it.

We only need to look at Quebec to see it happening there. Women get paid to have children there. And I am assuming the children's parents are french speaking Quebec natives.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, she's not simply stating a personal preference, she's suggesting a duty.

No, it's not simply about getting a treaty card for her kids. She's suggesting an intrinsic value in "race".

-k

She feels it is a duty to her heritage and culture and why not. Is she harming anyone? She is doing what she believes she needs to do to preserve her heritage and culture.

When did she ever mention federal benefits?? You are assuming this due to your own biased, perhaps even racist, view of aboriginals.

You're kidding right? Or are you that obtuse to not see the numerous ties to "status Indian"? Why does she need the government to say she is Indian for her to be one? Do you need the government to tell you that you're Scottish or German or whatever you are? More so, she even talks about the recent Métis ruling as adding more prospects....because apparently these people aren't good enough for her until the government benefits kick in. It's sick!

But since you are having troubles comprehending, I picked out an easy one for you:

"Having status comes with certain benefits like band membership, potential access to funding for post-secondary education (differs from band to band), health care, and the ability to hunt, fish, trap and gather on public lands. There are also possible tax exemptions, but those are way more narrow than you might think."

Is that federal benefit enough for you?

So perhaps next time you might want to think before playing the ever so popular race card which only proves you have zero to add here.

She feels it is a duty to her heritage and culture and why not. Is she harming anyone? She is doing what she believes she needs to do to preserve her heritage and culture.

White people who claim a "duty to preserve the white race" aren't actually harming anyone either, but they're not viewed very charitably by most people.

-k

It's fine to shrug and say it's inevitable when your culture is the dominant one. If yours was the one dying, you would do what you could to preserve it.

Ever been to Bradford?

West Yorkshire, UK.

Edited by bcsapper

"Having status comes with certain benefits like band membership, potential access to funding for post-secondary education (differs from band to band), health care, and the ability to hunt, fish, trap and gather on public lands. There are also possible tax exemptions, but those are way more narrow than you might think."

She also said: "I want a different life for my children, I want them to grow up strong and rooted in their culture and to be surrounded by a loving, traditional First Nations family. It’s something I now deem more important than being able to afford private school for my kids. (Although that would be nice too)."

I believe (and I could be wrong in my assumptions) what she is saying is that she could marry and have children outside her "race" and live a much more affluent lifestyle, however, if she married a native man, her monetary lifestyle would be diminished.

I see no reason why she shouldn't have the choice to have her children fathered by a native man in order to preserve her culture and distinctive ethnicity. That is her choice and if she so chooses, why can't she? Who is she insulting by her choices?

This isn't about finding a native man....it's about find a 'status' native man. She even mentions this in her comment about the recent Métis ruling which now gives more prospects. What? These guys weren't native enough until the government said they were?

So....it just shows how this treaty system is screwing them over. They want the 'status' title so bad that they'll even marry to get it. If a woman in any other culture married only for material benefits, we'd call her a gold digger. However here it's ok because it's her pursuit of maintaining the culture. It's pathetic

Until recently, I didn't understand how much people in the left hold back the post racial reality we're all supposed to want. This thread brings it all into perspective.

So you are coming to the conclusion that people on the left are the only folks in support of her decision?

So....it just shows how this treaty system is screwing them over. They want the 'status' title so bad that they'll even marry to get it. If a woman in any other culture married only for material benefits, we'd call her a gold digger. However here it's ok because it's her pursuit of maintaining the culture. It's pathetic

Obtaining post secondary education, hunting and trapping rights are not what a gold digger would be going after.

those white people sound like damn morons, since the white race isn't exactly in trouble, is it?

So are you saying that there *is* an intrinsic value in "race"?

It seems like you don't have an objection to people acting to "preserve their race", and that you're in favor of this aboriginal person's comments because you feel that aboriginal people are sufficiently scarce, but dismiss white people who want to "preserve their race" because white people are not at present particularly scarce. Is that the jist of what you're saying?

-k

It seems like you don't have an objection to people acting to "preserve their race", and that you're in favor of this aboriginal person's comments because you feel that aboriginal people are sufficiently scarce, but dismiss white people who want to "preserve their race" because white people are not at present particularly scarce. Is that the jist of what you're saying?

-k

I think we need to step back a second and see what this is really about. It's about a native woman who wants to have a family with a native man to preserve her cultural, and yes, aboriginal blood lines. If a white woman wants to have her children fathered by a white man, she has that choice as well. I don't think anyone is dismissing white people who want to preserve their race. This native woman wrote a column about it because it is a thought provoking article.

Right, so you are defining security as hunting, fishing, and post secondary education. We already have free health care.

Lol. No....taxpayers pay for health care. It's hardly free.

You and I can believe the security is not much but she sure makes it a big deal.

To that individual due to her upbringing, yes, to another not so much. Me? If I thought my heritage was near extinction, possibly, as it stands...no. A racial survivalist is a different beast than a racial supremist. If the view was "I need to keep my culinary culture of Kraft Dinner alive so I think marrying white is important" is different than, "I can't get Kraft Dinner at my grocery store b/c of all these other cultures.....We need to marry white so I can displace that vindaloo on the shelf at my local store." Now we have a problem. Edited by Bob Macadoo

To that individual due to her upbringing, yes, to another not so much. Me? If I thought my heritage was near extinction, possibly, as it stands...no. A racial survivalist is a different beast than a racial supremist. If the view was "I need to keep my culinary culture of Kraft Dinner alive so I think marrying white is important" is different than, "I can't get Kraft Dinner at my grocery store b/c of all these other cultures.....We need to marry white so I can displace that vindaloo on the shelf at my local store." Now we have a problem.

Not a bad analogy, just a little confusing. (to me anyway!). But, I get that her intention isn't to displace other races. She is also putting her own personal preferences aside (for a possibly wealthy and successful man), in order to preserve her cultural and yes bloodlines, as I mentioned before.