Laureen Harper - Shameful reporting by The Star

That the protest did nothing and was out of place. That it was opportunistic and inconsiderate. That no one should really be applauding this woman because she took away from one good cause (there is an epidemic of homeless animals in Canada causing a public health issue) in order to bring attention to her cause (an important one - very important) but managed to generate a large amount of negative press.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the protest did nothing and was out of place.

I disagree. It did enough to get us talking about it for 9+ pages now. Also the media not only picked up the story but actually went to some depth to explain why she was protesting, which is not at all the norm.

That it was opportunistic and inconsiderate.

I agree with you, but that's what makes it a protest. I'm trying to find common ground with you here because I generally respect you and may have been a bit short with you in these last couple of threads. But I'm finding it hard.

That no one should really be applauding this woman because she took away from one good cause (there is an epidemic of homeless animals in Canada causing a public health issue) in order to bring attention to her cause (an important one - very important) but managed to generate a large amount of negative press.

I disagree with you here again. I highly doubt any of us would have heard a thing about Mrs. Harper's cat cause, if it wasn't for the protest hitting the news. Otherwise, Mrs. Harper's appearance would have been buried in the news. Edited by cybercoma

s

Remiel makes a good point. Frankly, I think protesting Laureen Harper was stupid, but at least it got indigenous women the attention they need. Why was it stupid? Well, it reinforces the idea that the Prime Minister makes policy when he's supposed to be a "first among equals." It reinforces the consolidation of power in the PMO that has been happening for a generation now.

Should be about all missing women not just one group.

Edited by PIK

Not just to me, to common decency. There was nothing to be gained there. Laureen couldn't answer her questions.

The hysteria of the left knows no bounds and it is quite frankly getting tiresome.

Personally I think protesting a Laureen Harper event is actually injurious to the public: it promotes the idea that the spouse of the PM has some sort of role vis-a-vis public policy and debate. And formally they absolutely should not. This incident is a kind of a bizarre counter-point to the insistence on a meeting with the Governor General last year.

I think your reason is stretching too far.

This was a protest to bring attention to a cause that someone feels strongly about.

There could be a number of reasons why this event was chosen.

Could be for the simple fact that convenience for the protestor played a role in all of this. Or that security measures made it easier. Or maybe tickets to attend are more accessible.

WWWTT

The hysteria of the left knows no bounds and it is quite frankly getting tiresome.

Ya that sucks when someone uses your own "secret weapon" against you hey!

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvj1WFhTwygA.j4XFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnV2cXQwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1398327669/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.conservative.ca%2f%3fpage_id%3d25/RK=0/RS=PhePUaP4j9S82ZV4P7plyQ4ATLQ-

I remember when George W Bush was parading his daughters around to win votes, and then when one of his daughters had an alcohol issue, he started crying like a big baby about the press and the public, saying it was none of their business what happens in his family!

Big freekin babies crying about how it's not fair for people to use their family members for their own gain!

I seriously believe the conservatives never look in the mirror, once!

WWWTT

I don't get the Post - only the Star and the Sun - so I can get both sides of the political spectrum. But you're right - the Post article is just as bad as the Star.

PS: I was in error - the Star article was on page 6 - not page 2 as previously posted.

so... will you be amending your thread title to spread your "shameful" designation to also include the National Post?

Ya that sucks when someone uses your own "secret weapon" against you hey!

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvj1WFhTwygA.j4XFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnV2cXQwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1398327669/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.conservative.ca%2f%3fpage_id%3d25/RK=0/RS=PhePUaP4j9S82ZV4P7plyQ4ATLQ-

I remember when George W Bush was parading his daughters around to win votes, and then when one of his daughters had an alcohol issue, he started crying like a big baby about the press and the public, saying it was none of their business what happens in his family!

Big freekin babies crying about how it's not fair for people to use their family members for their own gain!

I seriously believe the conservatives never look in the mirror, once!

WWWTT

Geo Bush lol give your head a shake. Not even close.Consevatives up here resemble the democrats , where the left up here is waaaay out to lunch.

Geo Bush lol give your head a shake. Not even close.Consevatives up here resemble the democrats , where the left up here is waaaay out to lunch.

Wouldn't think that when the subject turns to the EMS being called to 24 Sussex and Rob Ford hey!

Either way, we are not going to be hearing much from the "white picket fence" family much anymore now that a teenager almost died from alcohol poisoning consumed at the PM house!

WWWTT

Wouldn't think that when the subject turns to the EMS being called to 24 Sussex and Rob Ford hey!

Either way, we are not going to be hearing much from the "white picket fence" family much anymore now that a teenager almost died from alcohol poisoning consumed at the PM house!

WWWTT

Kids will be kids. But then again since you are a supporter of the NDP and believe that all kids should be bubble wrapped, this would offend you. Ben had a party and a girl drank to much and got sick. She learnt her lesson. Lessons of life that need to be learned instead of sending young adults out into the world with no idea what is ahead of them because they have been proertected from real life by government nannies. Theses poor protected kids are going to have a hell of a life, not knowing anything about the dangers lurking out there . I pity this generation of kids, they are in for a huge surprise. Let me guess , you never had got sick from drinking as a kid?

Edited by PIK

Actually, it's those who support unnecessary and outmoded "tough on crime" bills who are the nanny-state, "think of the children" bubble-wrappers.

did someone call for the Harper Conservative Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada? Kids will be kids... but, apparently, the toughness only applies to 'the weed' and doesn't seem to extend to include 'beer bongs':

BSTU6RECQAA3qNK.jpg

Kids will be kids. But then again since you are a supporter of the NDP and believe that all kids should be bubble wrapped, this would offend you. Ben had a party and a girl drank to much and got sick. She learnt her lesson. Lessons of life that need to be learned instead of sending young adults out into the world with no idea what is ahead of them because they have been proertected from real life by government nannies. Theses poor protected kids are going to have a hell of a life, not knowing anything about the dangers lurking out there . I pity this generation of kids, they are in for a huge surprise. Let me guess , you never had got sick from drinking as a kid?

LOL!

Man has the conservatives really changed their tune to protect what happened at the PM's house!

Sure I got sick from alcohol! Never had to be rushed to the hospital!

Also, I never lived at 24 SUSSEX!

Does that even resonate with you?

If the PM is just an anybody, then lets replace Harper with a temporary foreign worker! I'm sure we can find a temporary foreign worker that understands the meaning of raising a responsible family!

WWWTT

Actually, it's those who support unnecessary and outmoded "tough on crime" bills who are the nanny-state, "think of the children" bubble-wrappers.

Just as a corrective to your assertion.

You'll notice here PIK that bleeding heart didn't say "The Right" in his response. That's the difference between you and other posters. Whereas you just insulted everyone on the left with your post, bleeding heart was criticizing a particular policy.

Sorry I contributed to the drifting of this thread.

I thought this thread was about the Laureen Harper cat charity that was protested? And the reporting of it.

Not the drinking or EMS going to 24 Sussex.

Somehow I got them mixed up while replying to a notification.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

• 4 weeks later...