$72,000 to move a couple of blocks? Andrew Leslie

PIK

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ctv-exclusive-retired-general-claimed-72k-in-expenses-for-move-within-ottawa-1.1688678

72G'S to move down the street, what is he a senator?? You would think they would not allow something like this to happen with all that has been going on. Or is this just the same old ''I am entitled to my entitlements'' excuse. This is no different then the senators and he should step down untill a investigation happens.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ctv-exclusive-retired-general-claimed-72k-in-expenses-for-move-within-ottawa-1.1688678

72G'S to move down the street, what is he a senator?? You would think they would not allow something like this to happen with all that has been going on. Or is this just the same old ''I am entitled to my entitlements'' excuse. This is no different then the senators and he should step down untill a investigation happens.

To be fair, DND does have compensation (and should) for its members having to move repeatedly during their careers. Generally DND pays all costs of the move. For most members that cost is not enormous because they don't buy houses, they rent. In this case, due to his salary and his time in Ottawa, the general purchased an expensive house, and at retirement, bought another. The major portion of the reimbursement, as I understand it, is not for the packing and moving of furniture and posessions but for the legal and real estate fees for selling their house and buying another one. And since the houses in question were quite expensive those fees were considerable.

Apparently, it was all by the rules. Rules that the AG warned the federal government about years ago and nothing was done by Harper's government to reduce the cost. And now they have issues with one particular military member who played within their own rules?

In the fall of 2006, the Auditor General presented a detailed report on the program, complete with a list of recommendations, which the government broadly accepted. It’s a significant file that you might expect a defence minister to have no trouble getting briefed up on: Back in 2005, the year the AG examined, it handled about 15,000 military and RCMP relocations and cost about $272 million.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2014/02/17/no-mystery-in-the-program-behind-the-generals-moving-costs/

Hmmmmm.

I really wonder if the rules permit paying expenses for a move within the same community. It does not make sense.

It does make sense to have an end-of-career relocation paid for by the govt, but within the same community?

Never heard of that before.

I suspect (without any foundation) that the practice, in general, might have its origin in military moves within a city that reflect upon moves from a base to a purchased house off-base... or possibly a rental to home-ownership shift. Given the many transfers military personnel are subject to, I expect rental may be an imposed financial choice as much as a preference over personal home-ownership... that owning a home may not be a priority for some/(many?) in the military during their active careers.

I suspect (without any foundation) that the practice, in general, might have its origin in military moves within a city that reflect upon moves from a base to a purchased house off-base... or possibly a rental to home-ownership shift. Given the many transfers military personnel are subject to, I expect rental may be an imposed financial choice as much as a preference over personal home-ownership... that owning a home may not be a priority for some/(many?) in the military during their active careers.

I don't think the military pays for any moves within a city during the members career. An exception might be when the military requests a move locally, but I cannot think iof a circumstance. Perhaps if the military was closing supplied base housing?

Many, many members moving to CFB Edmonton a decade or more ago bought modest homes there when they transferred for the reason that it was the first place they could afford to do it. The costs would be pretty standard for them and the military (moving costs only), because of course as buyers they don't pay real estate fees to buy a house.

DND does not pay for moves from rental-to-purchase in the same place, or from purchase to purchase since those moves have nothing to do with a military- requested(or odered) relocation.

I don't know about personal priorities, but in my opinion the cost of housing where they are going is a determining factor.

Typical liberal. I would like to know where he was living when he retired? Is this maybe the 2nd time he has moved? And really he should have known better, that this would not go over well. Or did he not know the price just like bev oda and the $16 OJ? Or did he not care, I am entitled to it. IMO He is being used as a prop by the liberals, and it just back fired. This is for moving from one city to the next,not down the street. So you have trudeau nailing charities for his own good, and now the general. Same old liberals.

Edited by PIK

PIK, again... step down from what?

Advisor to trudeau, he is on the government tit, so he should step back untill this is cleared, god know what other things he might have done. He could have moved himself and paid for it since he is a very wealthy man.

Typical liberal. I would like to know where he was living when he retired?

Typical ol scaredy cat PIK

Ask questions in which his own link answered in the first sentence, but goes on.....and on.....and on ...trying to make this something from nothing, apart from the waste of course, but well within the rules.

PIK.....hide, here comes Justin down the bunny trail

Typical ol scaredy cat PIK

Ask questions in which his own link answered in the first sentence, but goes on.....and on.....and on ...trying to make this something from nothing, apart from the waste of course, but well within the rules.

PIK.....hide, here comes Justin down the bunny trail.

Fear for my country. Same rules for bev oda and she was brought down by OJ.

Fear for my country. Same rules for bev oda and she was brought down by OJ.

Did you notice that the AG brought this forward in 2006? Why didn't the Conservative government do anything about it then if it is such an issue? 8 years ago....

Did you notice that the AG brought this forward in 2006? Why didn't the Conservative government do anything about it then if it is such an issue? 8 years ago....

I did hear that. The opportunistic character of this attack is about as transparent as it gets. But then again they have been talking about senate reform for just as long.

Did you know that the generals daughter was hired by the realiter right after the deal went thru??

Harper is flailing madly for anything he can find to try and hurt Trudeau.

LOL Trudeau is doing this himself and harper is sitting back watching. And anyways who did leak this?? I know the media is trying it's best to turn this on harper , but does anyone really know who leaked this. Maybe the libs did knowing the media party would turn the tables. Edited by PIK

Yes, the Liberals are leaking stories about Liberal behavior knowing that the media will blame the Conservatives.

That doesn't sound far-fetched or conspiratorial at all.

It seems my little bit about conservative victimization culture in another thread understated the case.

And do you have any citations of "the media....trying it's best to turn this on harper"?

Interesting how CBC and Leslie turned the story into a "smear" by the Conservatives. CTV broke the story though an Access to Information request. Rob Nicholson was asked what he thought of an inter-city move costing $72,000. He gave an answer that would seem to be the same as any of us might give. Leslie may have indeed followed the rules - but perhaps not the spirit of them. Just ask some Senators how THAT worked for them. Welcome to politics, Andrew.

Former general Andrew Leslie accuses Tories of smear over moving expenses

................skip

The 35-year Canadian Forces veteran posted the comments online the same day the defence minister said he would ask his department to explain how it approved in-city moving expenses of more than $72,000 for Leslie — an amount Rob Nicholson said appeared "grossly excessive."

"In the meantime, it is important for Andrew Leslie to explain why he believes this is a reasonable expense for hard-working Canadians to absorb," Nicholson said in a statement. "This is a matter of judgment and the responsible use of taxpayers' dollars."

Nicholson was reacting to a CTV News report Saturday based on a government document. CTV did not say how it obtained the document, but Nicholson's office said Sunday it was released under the Access to Information Act.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/former-general-andrew-leslie-accuses-tories-of-smear-over-moving-expenses-1.2539826

Interesting how CBC and Leslie turned the story into a "smear" by the Conservatives. CTV broke the story though an Access to Information request. Rob Nicholson was asked what he thought of an inter-city move costing $72,000. He gave an answer that would seem to be the same as any of us might give. Leslie may have indeed followed the rules - but perhaps not the spirit of them. Just ask some Senators how THAT worked for them. Welcome to politics, Andrew.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/former-general-andrew-leslie-accuses-tories-of-smear-over-moving-expenses-1.2539826

It is a smear.

He didn't get paid anything... the movers bill DND for the move and realtor fees, etc. How was he even involved in the transaction other than being allowed a paid move?

Were you aware that this program was brought to the government's attention in 2006 by the AG, and they did nothing about it?

Edited by The_Squid

Normal and Retirement postings:

Once a member of the military or RCMP decides they are going to retire or gets told they are posted they are entitled to a complete move paid by tax payers, this was set up to normally get member back to his home town or the place they signed up at....so if he joined in NFLD and decided to retire in BC they will pay up to the amount it would cost them to move him to NFLD, The member is on the hook if it costs more. There are no rules regarding where a member retires at....nor should there be...

In the Generals case he purchased a home within city limits , in the course of the Generals duties he would have to entertain alot,be it military staff, civilian staff, foreign military vistors, politicians, you name it..... so the type of home would reflect that, He is a general in the CF, so he'd have to have a home approved for security proto calls , So location may or may not be his choice, other considerations are also taken into account...in the end yes he has a butiful house that may or may not be what the wife wants, more suited to his job requirements than hers....

So he is retiring, the military give this option to all soldiers,regardless to how far they move or where the move.... kind of thanks for coming out....Now as with anything the government pays for there is strict rules, some are tax free , most are not, anyone that has moved knows that it cost alot, when paying for the little things, like condiments from the frig, window coverings, rugs and mats, new propane tanks, any flameable items you have, or the long list movers will not move at any time,each member is only allow to ship one veh, if your wife is not in the military ,it's on your dime, to drive it along with all the fuel, own a boat or atv you can move one trailer, any more on your dime.....So additional costs do add up...

To off set some of these costs Government pays out a free months wages....which are taxed...they pay out miliage to move one veh and trailer, barely covers gas you spend, they do give you a food allowance for the move days only...trust me you not eating steak...its burgers for everyone....a few other little things the cover it barely covers your move....

The also cover realtor fees, lawyers fees and some other costs that you may occur in the selling of your home, Now sometimes the military will not give you any time to sell your home, i've seen guys being told you got a week, i want you across the country in 7 days....this is why military wifes rock, the member goes to the new Job, his wife takes care of the whole move along with the kids etc....

while the man will sometimes secure new quaters if he can find them, until he does the family stays put....And if you own a home you may be forced into 2 mortages....I've done this serval times, eat lots of kraft dinner to make it work....

Since the governments/ DND decision to tear down hundrds of PMQ's there is not much of a selection left, those that are left, are being renting for the same rate as on the economy...Say a 1200 sq foot home rented for 1200 bucks a month in your city then that is what your PMQ rent is based on, only it was built in the early 50's....I once had a PMQ that we could not burn candles in the living room because the draft from the windows blew them out....today PMQ's are getting better but still have a long way to go to make it to the levels of what is available on civy street. Keep in mind DND does not get any of the rent in return, that goes back to government coffers.

So 76,000 sould alot but as someone has already explained most of that went in realtor fees....Not many members own a milion dollar plus home so these expenditures are rare.