cybercoma

Meh....if you would threaten the rich with anarchy and beheadings, even for those who have not "earned it", then the rich will influence and decide just how much economic pity they will bestow upon the unwashed masses.

I don't think that the proles in France ever "threatened" the aristocracy with violence, they just showed American "can do" spirit and... uh... executed the plan.

But there are always more riches to be had by new and previously failed risk takers. As they say, "no balls...no blue chips".

That's a far better quote to hear from a head as it rolls around in a French basket. :P

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that the proles in France ever "threatened" the aristocracy with violence, they just showed American "can do" spirit and... uh... executed the plan.

So are there no "rich" and "poor" in France today ? Confiscatory tax surcharges are already sending the "rich" and their "riches" abroad, just as before. It's called the "golden rule" for a reason.

So are there no "rich" and "poor" in France today ?

Very strange idea to start up a tangential conversation, but ok. Yes -> hundreds of years after the French revolution rich and poor exist today.

Confiscatory tax surcharges are already sending the "rich" and their "riches" abroad, just as before. It's called the "golden rule" for a reason.

Presumably they are carrying their heads on their shoulders as they leave, though.

Very strange idea to start up a tangential conversation, but ok. Yes -> hundreds of years after the French revolution rich and poor exist today.

So what's the problem? Just let the cycle continue as before. Ann Coulter has a marvelous treatment of the French Revolution in her book "Demonic":

It has become fashionable to equate the French and American revolutions, but they share absolutely nothing in common beyond the word "revolution." The American Revolution was a movement based on ideas, painstakingly argued by serious men in the process of creating what would become the freest, most prosperous nation in world history.

The French Revolution was a revolt of the mob. It was the primogenitor of the horrors of the Bolshevik Revolution, Hitler's Nazi Party, Mao's Cultural Revolution, Pol Pot's slaughter, and America's periodic mob uprisings from Shays' Rebellion to today's dirty waifs in the "Occupy Wall Street" crowd.

Your view of the impending mass murder of the capitalist pigs is refreshing, but I doubt your brothers on Fox News would be so glib.

I'm not worried about it....do you think current "society" must be above such things from the distant and recent past?

I never got a job from a poor man or corporation.

I'm not worried about it....do you think current "society" must be above such things from the distant and recent past?

I'm sure you're smart enough to make it out of harm's way.

As per your question:

Must ? That word has a double meaning, and I'd hate to use the wrong one.

Should collectives act morally ? Sure. Is it likely they do ? Perhaps there's some progress there... to a point.

I'm sure you're smart enough to make it out of harm's way.

No, I am not worried about "harm's way". Understanding and profiting from the rules of the game are not exclusive to the rich.

As per your question:

Must ? That word has a double meaning, and I'd hate to use the wrong one.

Should collectives act morally ? Sure. Is it likely they do ? Perhaps there's some progress there... to a point.

Meh again...whose "morality"? It's always about the money in the end, even for "progressives".

I never got a job from a poor man or corporation.

And yet corporations are worried that people aren't buying their stuff, Boomers are now griping that they can't downsize because younger people aren't buying houses...

-k

And yet corporations are worried that people aren't buying their stuff, Boomers are now griping that they can't downsize because younger people aren't buying houses...

And young people are whining because seniors won't retire. Boomers can always sell their houses at reduced prices.

Thanks - is that advise your giving me or some moralizing and if so whose morals ? ;)

It's not advice, just an observation. I am old...Doris Day gave the best advice:

When I was just a little girl

I asked my mother what will I be

Will I be pretty will I be rich

Here's what she said to me

Que Sera Sera

Whatever will be will be

The future's not ours to see

Que Sera Sera

What will be will be

It's not advice, just an observation. I am old...Doris Day gave the best advice:

Yes, she always was a major idiot and vacant placeholder for womanhood. Anyway, I suppose her anthem of self-non-preservation is hum-able. You're not old if you remember her, though. If it was Olivia DeHaviiland now that would be something.

Yes, she always was a major idiot and vacant placeholder for womanhood. Anyway, I suppose her anthem of self-non-preservation is hum-able. You're not old if you remember her, though. If it was Olivia DeHaviiland now that would be something.

Nice....Doris Day was born in 1922...endured more than you can even imagine...and you imagine...a lot.

Nice....Doris Day was born in 1922...endured more than you can even imagine...and you imagine...a lot.

Yes, I saw a play that covered her life story. She suffered a lot less than most stupid people in America do. At least when she got ripped off by a husband, she could trot it out in Vegas and fill up her bank account.

Yes, I saw a play that covered her life story. She suffered a lot less than most stupid people in America do. At least when she got ripped off by a husband, she could trot it out in Vegas and fill up her bank account.

That's OK...the "stupid people in America" don't worry about what will happen to fretful drama queens in Canada.