Resurgence in Canadian Tennis

Boges

Never in my years on this earth have I ever seen high profile Canadians in the late rounds of a major tennis championship.

Well now Canada has 2 young players that, in coming years, could become amongst the sport's very elite.

Many know of Milos Raonic who is a high profile men's player but he has yet to make it past the fourth round of of a major championship.

He's since been beaten on the ladies side of the draw by 19 year old Eugene Bouchard of Montreal. This weekend she became the first Canadian since the early 90's to make this far in a major championship.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/2014/01/19/eugenie_bouchard_beats_milos_raonic_to_the_punch_the_spin.html

Eugenie started later. But got there first.

If you’re measuring the development of Canadian tennis by the progress of our best players, well, the fact Eugenie Bouchard has made it to a Grand Slam quarter-final before Milos Raonic is an intriguing development.

Bouchard, 19, will play Serbia’s Ana Ivanovic in the Australian Open quarter-finals this week. Raonic, 23, was eliminated earlier by 22-year-old Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria, and is still seeking his Grand Slam breakthrough.

Bouchard knocked off 29-year-old Aussie journeyman Casey Dellacqua, and in that lies part of the reason why she’s been able to beat Raonic to a Grand Slam quarter.

She's had an easy draw but it's realistic that she could make it to the semis.

As someone who's followed tennis for awhile I think this is great news for Canadian Tennis.

Not really a debatable topic, just something I'd tell everyone, who wasn't aware, about.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow the tennis - recently there has been a surge of Canadians players - I saw Pospisil play in the Davis Cup he is sharp I thought would get to a final or semis round by this year - it is really tough draw on the men's side to get to a final. Raonic depend on the serve which he is the best, if only he can follow though with some other play or something...easy for me to say. Bouchard is playing so well I hope she advances to the final as well. I caught the Austrialian Open 12 midnight one night TSN but now curling is on - when is the tennis on??

You can get it on TSN or TSN2. It's starts at like 7pm and goes into the early morning the next day.

I watched a few of the Round of 16 matches last night.

They replayed Bouchard's match yesterday during the NFL playoff games, I switched between the two.

Edited by Boges

Ok thanks I don't think we get TSN 2 and I am getting preliminaries of winter Games only TSN

My tennis loyalty lies with our Canadians, then the Americans I seem to know them all, then I root for UK hopefully by then the championship concludes :)

I am a sports fanatic - I play too - anything sports goes

Americans are having a rough go of it in Tennis. There is only one good Men's player (Isner) and Raonic is comparable to him. Serena and Sloan Stephens are good on the women's side but both are no longer in the Aussie Open.

It appears Tennis is most a European dominated sport, largely Eastern European. A good majority of the top women player are Eastern European.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is quite intersting to notice the rise of eastern-European tennis in the last 25 years after the end of the cold war. Before that there was Czechoslovakia with Ivan Lendl and Jan Kodes but otherwise it seems that tennis was viewed as a western sport and not given official attention. Moreover, I think Russians publicly pretended to dislike the sport but in private really liked it very much. That is the only conclusion to how many Russian stars cropped up, both male and female, after the end of the cold war.

It is quite intersting to notice the rise of eastern-European tennis in the last 25 years after the end of the cold war. Before that there was Czechoslovakia with Ivan Lendl and Jan Kodes but otherwise it seems that tennis was viewed as a western sport and not given official attention. Moreover, I think Russians publicly pretended to dislike the sport but in private really liked it very much. That is the only conclusion to how many Russian stars cropped up, both male and female, after the end of the cold war.

Right now tennis is almost exclusively a European sport at the top level. And very few Brits at that. Lots of Germans, Spaniards, French players and lots of Eastern Europeans. Not many actual Russians either, Sharapova is the only major Russian I can name.

You have a few Aussie's a few Americans. Sans maybe Serena Williams (BTW anyone see her looking like she was on drugs playing doubles yesterday) these 2 Canadians (Bouchard and Raonic) are the best North American tennis players.

Bouchard has only been a Pro for about a year. She's only been in 6 major tournaments, 3 of which she's made at least the semis.

It's not a stretch to think that she could easily become the #1 woman's tennis player.

Also the type of grassroots talent these players will produce will make Canada a force for tennis.

See all the Canadians getting drafted in the NBA, that's thanks to Steve Nash and Vince Carter in the early aughts.

One must admire Roger Federer as he's still going strong. I would make a comparison between him and Björn Borg who completely lost interest in the sport and disappeared after he was knocked off the position as the best player in the world. Not Federer. He's no longer number one but still top-class.