Police are shooting the mentally ill

Society's attitude on this subject is disgraceful.

Yes it is and I can probably thank that for some of my crappy attitude towards society. I guess it could just be a co-incidence that society has swerved hard towards conservatism since my son's diagnosis. In any case, maybe I can't help but recall how past arguments on this topic polarized along the usual ideological lines, especially at the intersection where the mentally ill and police cross paths. Being humane and understanding is just too much at odds with getting tough and cracking down.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is and I can probably thank that for some of my crappy attitude towards society. I guess it could just be a co-incidence that society has swerved hard towards conservatism since my son's diagnosis. In any case, maybe I can't help but recall how past arguments on this topic polarized along the usual ideological lines, especially at the intersection where the mentally ill and police cross paths. Being humane and understanding is just too much at odds with getting tough and cracking down.

As I pointed out the very huggy huggy liberals such as George McGovern were no better. That is one reason that I have moved in a more conservative direction. I just don't see that the liberals are that compassionate. They talk a very good game. Don't believe it.

Well, at least we both agree public attitudes suck so lets not spoil the moment.

We totally agree. And I think that it takes some personal tragedy for these people to show any interest in mental health. Societal attitudes and the quality of the available care are both below abominable.

• 1 month later...

And another one ...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calgary/anthony-heffernan-s-death-raises-questions-for-family-1.3004069

Anthony Heffernan's death raises questions for family

They were called to the scene for reports of a man behaving strangely.

... they were able to see the man was agitated and in medical distress. Once inside, officers say they were confronted with a high-risk situation that escalated to the point where a firearm was discharged.

... Heffernan was holding a lighter in one hand and a syringe in the other when he was shot.

• 4 weeks later...

I support police shooting so called people when they're threatening the officers. Police must not allow themselves to get stabbed or shot or pissed on or ejaculated on or crapped on or anything else that is bad.

"So-called people?" There's nothing so-called about it. These are people, full stop. Edited by cybercoma