Bradley Manning gets 35 yrs for giving data to Wikileaks

Oh this bull about going through the proper channels again?

Oh, I'm sorry. Has it been discussed? I'd no idea. I guess it was okay that he gave 700000 secret US documents to Wikileaks then.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An accountant in a public company uncovers fraud and bring it to light. In doing so she also compromised the privacy of some of the employess.

She would still be awarded.

Again, I fail to see the connection. If said public employee went on to give out all the HR details of the other employees, she probably wouldn't be.

How come people find it so easy to differentiate between things that means nothing, like terrorist colour, and can't differentiate between things that mean a great deal, like war crimes and random secret government documents?

Oh, I'm sorry. Has it been discussed? I'd no idea. I guess it was okay that he gave 700000 secret US documents to Wikileaks then.

We had discussed it in the Snowden threat that going through proper channels is more of a detriment to the whisleblower than leaking the docs and dealing with the aftermath.

We had discussed it in the Snowden threat that going through proper channels is more of a detriment to the whisleblower than leaking the docs and dealing with the aftermath.

Fair enough. I did say that in a previous post.

Rubbish! If he'd found evidence of war crimes, taken it upstairs, then decided to blow the whistle on it because nothing was being done, I would agree with you.

But why give away documents about which you know nothing?

Guest American Woman

Of course. We know that all of those poor people in Iraq and Afghanistan are all terrorists or wannabe terrorists. Why should we wait for them to actually try something before we kill them?

They're not just terrorists they're brown terrorists and they speak funny. Anyone who can't grasp the difference between exposing domestic crimes and crimes against brown terrorists who speak funny, probably thinks this little gender dysphoria is natural too.

As far as I've seen, the only ones here claiming "all of those poor people in Iraq and Afghanistan are all terrorists or wannabe terrorists" or condescendingly and ignorantly referring to them as "brown terrorists who speak funny" are the two of you. <_<

But why give away documents about which you know nothing?

Mm, yes; that was my thought, too. A whistleblower says or exposes what's necessary to show others what's going on in private. The Manning thing is analagous to the aforementioned accountant dumping every one of the company's documents on a street corner and saying "Look! They're committing faud!"

[ed.: correct]

Edited by g_bambino

Mm, yes; that was my thought, too. A whistleblower says or exposes what's necessary to show others what's going on in private. The Snowden thing is analagous to the aforementioned accountant dumping every one of the company's documents on a street corner and saying "Look! They're committing faud!"

Actually Snowden has been very selective so far... As for the manning documents wikileaks offered the US a chance to redact any information that jeapardized active operations and personnel, or posed a real threat to national security. They declined, so clearly they didnt think any of it mattered too much.

Edited by dre

Actually Snowden has been very selective so far...

Er, I meant Manning. Sorry. (I've fixed my post to correct the error.)

It doesn't matter what Wikileaks did. If Manning released tens of thousands of documents and files, he couldn't have been trying to reveal anything in particular, just hoping something would be found by others in amongst all the data. He's therefore not really a whistleblower and thus no real hero.

Guest American Woman

It doesn't matter what Wikileaks did. If Manning released tens of thousands of documents and files, he couldn't have been trying to reveal anything in particular, just hoping something would be found by others in amongst all the data. He's therefore not really a whistleblower and thus no real hero.

Well said.

Again, I fail to see the connection. If said public employee went on to give out all the HR details of the other employees, she probably wouldn't be.

How come people find it so easy to differentiate between things that means nothing, like terrorist colour, and can't differentiate between things that mean a great deal, like war crimes and random secret government documents?

I addressed your point in my post which you quoted.

As far as I've seen, the only ones here claiming "all of those poor people in Iraq and Afghanistan are all terrorists or wannabe terrorists" or condescendingly and ignorantly referring to them as "brown terrorists who speak funny" are the two of you. <_<

Oh, I forgot, you never pick up nuances, you're strictly literal. In any case, you totally missed the point.

Er, I meant Manning. Sorry. (I've fixed my post to correct the error.)

Good post. The thing that gets me is why he volunteered and applied to join the army in the first place. Now that he realizes they don't put up with that kind of stupidity in the army, he wants a sex change and a pardon from the president. Good luck Charlie!

Good post. The thing that gets me is why he volunteered and applied to join the army in the first place. Now that he realizes they don't put up with that kind of stupidity in the army, he wants a sex change and a pardon from the president. Good luck Charlie!

Charlene

No, he's in prison because she deserves to be. There is a duty to expose war crimes, and if he had just done that she would not be in prison.

Why do you suppose he gave away thousands of documents as well?

Gee, that's a tough one. Maybe because the people in the "proper channels" don't want to know about war crimes?

Gee, that's a tough one. Maybe because the people in the "proper channels" don't want to know about war crimes?

That's why he gave away thousands of documents as well? Seems an odd reaction.

Rubbish! If he'd found evidence of war crimes, taken it upstairs, then decided to blow the whistle on it because nothing was being done, I would agree with you. But he also gave thousands of unread secret documents to some weasel half way around the planet without a clue what was on them. He's a pratt, and he deserves to go to jail. 35 years might be a bit excessive, but the consensus seems be he'll be out in less than ten. Should consider herself lucky.

Exactly. Most of what she released was unread. Anyways it's a sad and pathetic false choice of the pro-Chelsea group to think you either have to 100% agree with Manning or your some kind of authoritarian state lover. It's especially rich coming from their ilk who believe in strong centralized government, intruding on everyone's lives, on what kind if cars people can build or own, what kind of toilets, light bulbs, sugar in your food, smoking, drinking, how much of your own money your "allowed" to keep each year, carbon dioxide and water vapour in the air, etc, etc, etc. The list is literally endless of their pro-government intrusion.

Guest American Woman

Nope.

So you don't really think he's suddenly a "she?" I know I don't. I certainly respect his right to go that route if so desired, but I don't think one should be able to go from serving as a male in the military to serving as a female in prison - when absolutely nothing has changed; and until things have changed, he's still a "he" regardless of what he feels like.

So you don't really think he's suddenly a "she?" I know I don't. I certainly respect his right to go that route if so desired, but I don't think one should be able to go from serving as a male in the military to serving as a female in prison - when absolutely nothing has changed; and until things have changed, he's still a "he" regardless of what he feels like.

True, but it really annoys the pro-Manning types. However, I'll start referring to him as he again.

Guest American Woman

True, but it really annoys the pro-Manning types. However, I'll start referring to him as he again.

I was just curious about your thoughts. His name hasn't even been legally changed yet.