Python kills children in New Brunswick

Boges

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda besides the point. We're a good 5 months away from winter.

Think of the fun in the meantime ! All those Paris Hiltons wannabees walking with their foofoo doggies.

Oops...Fluffy go bye bye.

Beats looking at shirtless folks hassling Ford. even tho that too is kind of fun

Oh right, this thread.

There was a recent article in one of the French newspapers in the province about this story. It has been year since those boys were killed and neither the RCMP nor the Department of Natural Resources has released any details of their investigation. The RCMP has not yet laid any charges either.

I think it was removed from the home and brought to a zoo. So life in prison, I guess. We don't do the death penalty here.

Although, I find it distasteful that we're making jokes about a situation that claimed the lives of two innocent children.

Edited by cybercoma

They just found a Caymen in a pond down in TO. Another dumbass who wanted an exotic pet then dumped it when it grew too large. Really Guyser? A TO winter? What, only TO has winters in Canada? Despite the fact that the snake was no where near TO. I guess it is true, those who live in TO truly do believe it is Canada, man, you TO people never cease to amaze me with your closed views of Canada.

They just found a Caymen in a pond down in TO. Another dumbass who wanted an exotic pet then dumped it when it grew too large. Really Guyser? A TO winter? What, only TO has winters in Canada? Despite the fact that the snake was no where near TO. I guess it is true, those who live in TO truly do believe it is Canada, man, you TO people never cease to amaze me with your closed views of Canada.

That's why I bumped this thread.

And yes the Caiman would have died if it had stayed at large until winter. Doesn't change the fact whoever had this animal is a tool.

They just found a Caymen in a pond down in TO. Another dumbass who wanted an exotic pet then dumped it when it grew too large. Really Guyser? A TO winter? What, only TO has winters in Canada?

Oh Im sorry, I didnt include ALL of Canada when talking about a Caiman found in a TO pond wouldnt survive the winter.

Despite the fact that the snake was no where near TO. I guess it is true, those who live in TO truly do believe it is Canada, man, you TO people never cease to amaze me with your closed views of Canada.

Hmmm....we are talking about a Caiman found in a High Park Pond, which is in the western section of downtown Toronto , a Caiman not being a snake to boot.

Is closed mindedness akin to not being able to read english?

I have no doubt that most southern based reptiles would never survive a Toronto winter - if they were forced to live outside. But if they lived in sewers and deep storm drains then a hardy specimen could make it to the next summer or next meal.

That is why everybody should check in the toilet bowl before sitting down. You never know !?!? :P

• 6 months later...

This took awhile.

CAMPBELLTON, N.B. -- The lawyer for a man who owned a python that killed two young boys in New Brunswick in August 2013 says his client has been arrested in the case.

Leslie Matchim says Jean-Claude Savoie was arrested in the Montreal area today.

Matchim says he spoke with Savoie but doesn't know what charges his client may face.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/owner-of-python-in-fatal-n-b-attack-arrested-1.2222494#ixzz3Qu2fGwCr

Good! Bleeper shouldn't have had a Python in a private home.

Edited by Boges

What charge do you think they will lay on him?

Endangered/restricted animal charge? After his $500 fine...then what?

If that was the case then what's the point of arresting him a year and a half after the fact?

Some sort of involuntary manslaughter charge could be levelled against him. He was breaking the law and in doing so it caused the death of two kids.

If that was the case then what's the point of arresting him a year and a half after the fact?

The law works in strange ways? Maybe they couldnt decide enough evidence was there for any charge. I think they will go for the low end of the spectrum becuase the delay signifies they havent much.

Some sort of involuntary manslaughter charge could be levelled against him.

Nope dont have that charge in Canada. But we do have....

criminal negligence causing death maybe?

But that charge demands that wanton disregard to others was at play. Hard to prove that one I suppose.

He was breaking the law and in doing so it caused the death of two kids.

I dont think it was a Criminal Code thing, so hard to amalgamate the two. Edited by Guyser2

But that charge demands that wanton disregard to others was at play. Hard to prove that one I suppose.

If he broke a regulation about having "dangerous" animals in a residence then that could be grounds for claiming "wanton disregard". But if the regulation only restricted "non-standard" animals then it would be harder to claim.

Not a big government regulation guy but if you feel your life is complete by owning an apex predator you're a tool; it should be illegal. We keep domesticated dogs because they are social animals that we have tamed and made part of our families. Not so with giant snakes.

Dogs are 98% wolf chromosomally. Golden retrievers are every bit as dangerous as a hungry and cornered wolf.

It's good to see that authorities have finally put the squeeze on him.

Pun intended? Edited by jbg

You have a wife ?

You have a cat ?

I think starting out with a python would be less of a shock to me.

But you need to look at the number of people that have positively ferocious animals such as Newfoundlands, Golden Retrievers or Labs.

But you need to look at the number of people that have positively ferocious animals such as Newfoundlands, Golden Retrievers or Labs.

Stop it with the dogs. If you read my posts in this thread, I concede there are dogs that people should not own.

But dogs just don't kill children in their sleep.

The comparison is idiotic. Pythons aren't domesticated.

Would you advocate for being able to keep a coyote in a private home?

Stop it with the dogs. If you read my posts in this thread, I concede there are dogs that people should not own.

But dogs just don't kill children in their sleep.

Does that make a difference ? "Domesticated" dogs kill more people each year in "North America" than pythons or other constrictors. Thousands more are also bitten by dogs.

Does that make a difference ? "Domesticated" dogs kill more people each year in "North America" than pythons or other constrictors. Thousands more are also bitten by dogs.

Because dogs are common. Wild apex predators from Africa aren't.

It's like saying more people die from car accidents than from terrorism.