High cost of Recovering Liberal Deleted E-Mails

According to Liberal Minister Kevin Costane, the cost of recovering the deleted emails will be between $1.7 million and $3.5 million. Any idea why it would cost that much to recover, and why are they still using tapes, I thought everyone used disks now?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3907755-cost-of-recovering-deleted-gas-plant-emails-could-hit-3-5-million-tories-say/

Well, first they will hire someone at approx $100,000 a day , give him a contract to do the work, then cancel the contract the next day without looking at the cancellation penalty which will be 16 days worth , then they'll get some lackey to do it for p[eanuts plus lunch and living expenses.

See....$1.7M spent.

Since it could be done for about $500....who knows?

Since Hudak is beyond foaming at the mouth to be the next Premier, why don't the PC party pay for it, they have lots of money and maybe he could get a fund raising going for them.

Cuz that's not the point. For a premier that says she wants to be transparent, this isn't transparent at all.

Since Hudak is beyond foaming at the mouth to be the next Premier, why don't the PC party pay for it, they have lots of money and maybe he could get a fund raising going for them.

What does Hudak have to do with my post, your off base there. and really, whose the one foaming at the mouth B)

I was curious as to how it could actually cost that much, but I think post #3 explains it.

Edited by scribblet

First of all, I think pretty much most Ontarians are peeved at the Liberals for the spending on the gas plants but those people in the area of the gas plants , made it clear, move them or lose our vote so he did what ANY Premier would do, he moved them and the Liberals will probably pay for that at the next election or will they? I saw a poll that had the Ontario Liberals leading which shock me but too many people don't like Hudak and the PC had a chance to change leaders and they didn't. As far as the e-mails are concern, one way or the other, WE taxpayers always pay for the politicians mistakes on all three -levels of government.

First of all, I think pretty much most Ontarians are peeved at the Liberals for the spending on the gas plants but those people in the area of the gas plants , made it clear, move them or lose our vote so he did what ANY Premier would do

Except Dalton accused opponents if being Nimbys and went full speed ahead on these plant. In the case of the Mississauga plant, construction had already been started. He wasn't listening to opponents because it was right, the party finally listened for political gains, at a great cost to the rest of the province. Then when the outcry was the greatest, Dalton quit. Then it's come out him and his party have been trying to cover their tracks.

Had Stephen Harper done something like this people would be on the streets.

Edited by Boges

The legal term for destroying evidence is "spoliation." The presumption is that the deleted e-mails were damaging to the deleter.

Now it seems that they tried to strong arm the speaker to change his rulings.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/07/29/scott-stinson-an-appalling-new-chapter-in-ontario-liberals-gas-plant-saga/

Never in the history of canada have we had such a corrupt government.

Reminds me very much of the PMO using cash to influence a senator...

Both acts are equally corrupt.

But you will defend one while condemning the other. Does this make your position more than a little hypocritical?

Reminds me very much of the PMO using cash to influence a senator...

Both acts are equally corrupt.

But you will defend one while condemning the other. Does this make your position more than a little hypocritical?

You mean the Mike Duffy/Nigel Wright thing?

In no way are they equal in corruption. The Gas Plant Scandal might end up costing the Ontario taxpayer $1 billion.

If Wright hadn't paid off Duffy it would have cost the Canadian taxpayer $90,000. It ended up costing them nothing, but you have a Liberal Senator scamming more than double what Duffy did. The cover-up was worse than the crime.

This Ontario government wasted hundreds of millions of dollars with impunity just to win a few seats then deleted e-mails to cover their tracks.

I can't see how anyone could objectively see that as worse then the Wright/Duffy affair.

Edited by Boges

You mean the Mike Duffy/Nigel Wright thing?

In no way are they equal in corruption. The Gas Plant Scandal might end up costing the Ontario taxpayer $1 billion.

If Wright hadn't paid off Duffy it would have cost the Canadian taxpayer $90,000. It ended up costing them none, but you have a Liberal Senator scamming more than double what Duffy did. The cover-up was worse than the crime.

This Ontario government wasted hundreds of millions of dollars with impunity just to win a few seats then deleted e-mails to cover their tracks. I can't see how anyone could objectively see that as worse then the Wright/Duffy affair.

I argue that the level of corruption is not entirely dependent upon the dollar figures involved... It is not the dollar figure... it is the nature of the corruption.

So you can argue the level of corruption... the hypocritical part is that CPC supporters who post on these forums, and PIK in particular, do not see the Duffy affair as corrupt whatsoever.

If the PMO was bribing judges, instead of senators, then as long as the dollar amounts were low enough and it didn't cost the taxpayers much, then this would be OK as well?

If the PMO was bribing judges, instead of senators, then as long as the dollar amounts were low enough and it didn't cost the taxpayers much, then this would be OK as well?

But what makes the Gas Plant scandal bad is the price. Had they cancelled these plants in the early phases of planning like many wanted them to then the outcry wouldn't exist at all. Instead they called opponents NIMBYS.

So it's a different type of scandal. I'd argue it's less corruption and more disrespect for the taxpayer, incompetence and entitlement. The corruption happens later when they refuse to be transparent and lie about their motives multiple times. Also you have a premiere that shuts down the house for months to avoid fielding questions about the matter. And you have a crime committed, in deleting public e-mails.

There's multiple levels of outrage you can attach to this scandal. I'll agree the Wright/Duffy thing was handled horribly by the CPC but, and perhaps it's my bias, but I can't get as worked up over this as I can over what the Ontario Liberals did.

Edited by Boges

Its definitely your bias. I can get worked up easily with both of them.

If you want to check your bias.

Hudak was campaigning on cancelling those same gas plants. Hindsight is 20/20 but the Liberals Billion Dollar Flip Flop was driven by Hudaks attempt to drive a NIMBY issue.

However, its not the crime, its the coverup that always gets one in trouble... and this coverup is going to be the Ontario Liberals Adscam, its just a matter of time before all the election seeds are harvested..

Its definitely your bias. I can get worked up easily with both of them.

If you want to check your bias.

Hudak was campaigning on cancelling those same gas plants. Hindsight is 20/20 but the Liberals Billion Dollar Flip Flop was driven by Hudaks attempt to drive a NIMBY issue.

However, its not the crime, its the coverup that always gets one in trouble... and this coverup is going to be the Ontario Liberals Adscam, its just a matter of time before all the election seeds are harvested..

It wasn't Hudak as much as it was the residents. Oakville brought in Erin Brockovich. Had Hudak decided to cancel the plants (had he won) he could have blamed it on the incompetence of the Liberals for deciding to put it there in the first place.

It is the cover-up. They weren't honest and forward with the investigation and move evidence keeps coming out showing how political the move was. It keeps this story going. The fact they were lobbying the speaker in the conflict ruling keeps the story going further.

The fact Dalton quit and prorogued government for months because of the scrutiny he was receiving is even more evidence they didn't want the truth to come out.

We'll see on Thursday the damage their actions have really done.