Posting without having logged in

Perhaps being an older guy I am the only one experiencing this particular frustration but often I will not take the time to log in and just scan those threads of interest to me for new posts.

Sometimes a post will spark me into making a reply. The board will allow me to go through all the motions. Eventually, after perhaps one of my usual "too long" compositions I will hit the enter button.

Only to have it rejected! I haven't logged on!

Couldn't I have gotten such an error msg BEFORE I started to make a reply?

It is rather a PITA, at least for an old guy like me.

limited by the forum engine??? - yeesh! You don't lose your post... you get a message advising you're not logged in. Simply log in to another session/tab/window, and copy your retained post from your prior non-logged in session/tab/window.

You're right and that's what I do, I just find that to be an inefficient PITA.

Now if I could only figure out what I am doing wrong with embedding video clips from youtube.

Guest American Woman

Now if I could only figure out what I am doing wrong with embedding video clips from youtube.

I simply copy the url from the addy bar and past it into the URLspace and it works. That's what I did here.

Guest American Woman

Here I simply copied the url from the addy and sipmly pasted it into my response and it works.

Edited by American Woman

Bill has a point, this is annoying. I don't see this behaviour on any other site I visit. I aggravating part is "post data saved" when you know it isn't. If you don't copy it BEFORE logging in, that post is gone.

On every other site, you get the "please log in" warning before you start to type your reply.

This was already covered in Argus's thread here: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/22012-stupid-log-in-logic/?hl=argus#entry859207

Greg's response:

There you'll just have to log in each time. There is absolutely nothing we or the makers of this forum software (outside of a Flash Local Shared Object, but then that's just a cookie in a different name) can do to help with this issue.

Wild Bill... Would I be way off if took a wild guess that all of the digital clocks in your house were flashing 12:00 over and over again?

Actually, no they don't, Dre! I was there when digital clocks were invented. I started my career selling electronic parts the day Intel introduced the first microcomputer chip, back in 1977. That was my career till after 9/1/11/. Part of my job was to show new integrated circuits and other parts to engineers for their new designs.

I also built my first tube radio when I was 11. Friends and I built a ham radio UHF relay station in the early 80's, with what was then brand-new touch tone control and artificial speech for identification, all controlled by "computer chips".

Now I still work from home, building and repairing rock and roll guitar amplifiers. I have been fortunate enough to get a great deal of respect and support from my customers. It is not unusual for someone on the other side of the country to ship his amp to ME for service!

So I am a techie through and through, but lately I have become disinterested in much new software. I used to write programs in BASIC. In fact, I was probably one of the last to program a PDP-8 dinosaur computer in assembler code to ring a bell when you hit a certain key, long before personal computers were even invented.

I still have a streak of baby boomer strong inside me, Dr. Dre. I grew up with technology but I've learned to no longer try to keep up. Most of what's new is not of value to me. It may be faster and have more bells and whistles to dress it up but it usually doesn't do anything NEW for me!

The first personal computer invented was called the Osbourne. My company brought them into Canada. It did a good job with spreadsheets and word processing. 30 years later there is little with the new programs to make me want to buy and learn them. What's in it for me?

There was a time I had to always have the latest and greatest. Now I run an 8 year old machine with a few upgrades, like more RAM and a better video card. I still run XP. It works nearly bulletproof. Why should I buy Windows 8 when most of what it offers is compatibility with smartphones? I no longer HAVE a cell phone!

So no my good doctor, my digital displays are not flashing. Some displays on equipment in my ham station I have wired up myself! Not with patch cords but actual soldering in ICs, resistors and capacitors onto a circuit board.

I understand you were only teasing, Dre. Still, you pushed my techie button! It is my technical background that makes me so frustrated when I see bonehead approaches like McGuinty's push to green power and other expensive boondoggles that to guys like me are obviously poorly thought out and impossible to ever work as intended.

I understand you were only teasing, Dre. Still, you pushed my techie button! It is my technical background that makes me so frustrated when I see bonehead approaches like McGuinty's push to green power and other expensive boondoggles that to guys like me are obviously poorly thought out and impossible to ever work as intended.

Well said....funny part is that they don't even know how a digital clock circuit works, and certainly couldn't build one from scratch. A 555 what ?

Well said....funny part is that they don't even know how a digital clock circuit works, and certainly couldn't build one from scratch. A 555 what ?

Yep! I run into this attitude all the time! Just because someone can operate something they think they actually know HOW it works!

Working in the music field, I run into this all the time with so-called "sound men" who run the sound mixing console during a live performance or at a studio recording. They think that because they know what knob does what they know what is going on UNDER those knobs, inside the chassis!

We let anyone with hair in their ears DRIVE a car but when those drivers start to think they are therefore qualified to talk about mechanics there is a problem.

You know BC, Walter de la Rue made an incandescent light bulb back in 1820. That's nearly 200 years ago!

Yet if you stopped people on the street today to ask them how such a simple device actually works I'll bet you would find almost no one who could give a correct answer.

God bless our teachers! They are making our kids into lawyers and accountants and of course, more teachers!

No wonder the Chinese are cleaning our clocks. Looks like they will be on the Moon long before NASA ever makes a return.

Some days I think we just don't have it anymore.

Some days I think we just don't have it anymore.

Certainly far fewer do or care, but it's their choice. If all they have ever known is plastic throwaway convenience, they don't know or care about the underlying technology or its history. Target is selling remastered vinyl in their electronics department, probably for old and dying boomers who know what an LP sounds like compared to an MP3 file.

Just for fun, I wanted to give my son a crystal radio kit for Christmas instead of a PS2 gaming console !

Certainly far fewer do or care, but it's their choice. If all they have ever known is plastic throwaway convenience, they don't know or care about the underlying technology or its history. Target is selling remastered vinyl in their electronics department, probably for old and dying boomers who know what an LP sounds like compared to an MP3 file.

Just for fun, I wanted to give my son a crystal radio kit for Christmas instead of a PS2 gaming console !

I wonder if you could still buy him a Mechano set?

Yes...still available. These kids have never enjoyed the fumes from airplane glue (tolulol, acetone, and methyl ethyl ketone). Maybe that is a good thing.

BC, I actually saw a model airplane kit that consisted of two plastic halves you snapped together. There were no decals, the two pieces were pre-painted.

The box said "For ages 12 and up"! Unbelievable!

If that is considered suitable for today's 12 year olds then I think we didn't get the lead out of our gasoline soon enough. An entire generation that by previous standards would be considered "special".

As time goes on, certain skills are not needed anymore. There's no point in lamenting that, unless we really want to set ourselves up as a Luddite type community. Nobody knows how to milk a cow, drill a well, or other formerly 'essential' life skills.

Even computer programming isn't needed in the same way as it was in the past.

Embrace change or die, I say.

As time goes on, certain skills are not needed anymore. There's no point in lamenting that, unless we really want to set ourselves up as a Luddite type community. Nobody knows how to milk a cow, drill a well, or other formerly 'essential' life skills.

Methinks you don't get it.....the point is not about any specific skill(s), but the ability to create things and solve problems with a fundamental understanding of how things work, and the desire to learn such things in the first place.

I know how to "milk a cow".

Methinks you don't get it.....the point is not about any specific skill(s), but the ability to create things and solve problems with a fundamental understanding of how things work, and the desire to learn such things in the first place.

That's for people like you and me. Most people just need to be pointed at the cow, or the forklift, or the whatever.

So what?

Most people don't know how to milk a cow and the world's a better place for it. I'm with Michael on this one. I spent many hours learning how to use a slide rule and I hope that no one will ever have to waste their time in such a pursuit again. Imagine where the Western World would be today if each generation had to start its learning from scratch.

BTW, BC. Computers now control how mechanical suction cups milk cows. Your knowledge is as useless as knowing how to let blood, or to point a sextant.

-----

Sorry for contributing to the thread drift.

Edited by August1991