New Study Says Wind Turbines are Bad For The Health

It didn't really matter in Port Elgin. The streets surrouding the CAW complex were, with zero exaggeration, filled with STOP (the turbine) signs at every single address. There are large billboards all over town, large parts of the community are boycotting CAW products. the town council rejected it (and were overruled by the Ontario Municipal Board) AND the 550 meter rules were superceded to allow it to go through.

You would have a hard time finding stupider places to put the damn thing, but there you go - Green Activism at it's best!

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/01/26/caw_faces_boycott_over_port_elgin_wind_turbine.html

Wow, I wonder how the CAW managed to get the 550 meter rule superseded !!! This is in the middle of town with total disregard for health concerns, not to mention property values...

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...I wonder.

if something comes to you after your pondering BC_2004's repeated references to the "Green Police"... as in putting a 'face to the name', please let me/us know. Your insights are most valuable in this regard!

Oh there we go. He was mockingly referring to you, but you knew that. Maybe a change in attitude is in order, or maybe your caustic attitude to anyone who disagrees with you or questions your position is an attempt to continue earning sarcastic labels.

huh? Mocking??? Slow down, buddy... you're really struggling today! How is this, my reply, mocking:

"except what you raised was a baseless citation/reference concern, as you now acknowledge by not being able to provide an actual example in this thread."

it's a statement of fact. The guy pops off with a concern that had no foundation or bearing within the thread. I'd earlier requested he provide example(s) of post(s) within the thread that reflected upon his (now established) baseless concern. Of course, he couldn't come up with any such posts that .

...AND the 550 meter rules were superceded to allow it to go through.

good on ya for 'cottaging' in a green community! By the by, I stand to be corrected, but I do believe the deployment went ahead because the 550 meter rule existed prior... first... and the turbine had already been ordered.

Strathroy wind turbine protest.....I like it when Canadians get really mad !! Even the dog barks at 'em.

oh my! Going against BigOil's diversification greenwashing attempt... what's wrong with those people? I can't be bothered to look at the video - what's their beef, chief?

by the by, since this is a Suncor project, does this mean you'll actually reverse and be all for it (wind) now? :lol:

oh my! Going against BigOil's diversification greenwashing attempt... what's wrong with those people? I can't be bothered to look at the video - what's their beef, chief?

by the by, since this is a Suncor project, does this mean you'll actually reverse and be all for it (wind) now? :lol:

That's OK.....the video is for others in Ontario, not you. BigWind.....now that is funny !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Wow, I wonder how the CAW managed to get the 550 meter rule superseded !!! This is in the middle of town with total disregard for health concerns, not to mention property values...

Because big unions like CAW have a lot of political power and can ram through whatever the heck they want regardless of its impacts on a community.

No doubt.. I don`t suppose the Libs will look into that one..

Here's a modern day David and Goliath. "Big Wind" (luv it) is suing this woman - I guess they are now going on the offensive.

http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/13362

Activist who filmed removal of bald eagle nest by wind developer faces multi-million lawsuit

By Miriam Raftery and Sholeh Sisson

June 5, 2013 (Ontario, Canada) -- Esther Wrightman, the Canadian activist who documented Nextera Energy's removal of a bald eagle nest to make way for wind turbines, now faces a multi-million dollar lawsuit by the multi-national corporation. Why? Because she created a parody version of the company's logo which read "NexTerror" and "NextError."

and Big Wind Bullies

http://ontario-wind-resistance.org/2013/06/06/big-wind-bullies/#comment-88555

Edited by scribblet

Here's a modern day David and Goliath. "Big Wind" (luv it) is suing this woman

yes, clearly... "Big Wind" is the David when compared to "BigOil"... or... in this case, "BigGas"!

the company NextEra Energy Resources, even as a subsidiary of the parent NextEra Energy Inc., generates ~25% of its electric power produced via natural gas. Of course, that still pales as compared to its parent company that has annual operating revenues of ~$15 Billion, employs ~15,000 persons... and generates ~60% of its electric power via natural gas (total generated power @ ~41,000 MW in 2011). BigGas, indeed!

so... what was your point? :lol:

but really, just imagine... who ever heard of corporations protecting their name/brand! This is surely ground-breaking!!!

speaking of WindBags, from your same linked article, why didn't you, in-turn, link to the EzRant interview with the "bullied"... uhhh... "activist" - ya, "activist"... let's go with that?

but hey now, here's a thought, is there much of a history of BigOil/BigGas suing/"bullying" anyone in the past? Why... oh my! Googly says yes! :lol:

Esther Wrightman is a modern day heroine and could be the next poster child for Ontario's proposed new law to curb strategic lawsuits launched to silence critics.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/06/06/legislation-aimed-at-curbing-legal-action-used-to-limit-expression

Esther Wrightman says she could be the poster child for Ontario's proposed new law to curb strategic lawsuits launched to silence critics.

The provincial government introduced the Protection of Public Participation Act just weeks after wind farm developer NextEra Energy Canada launched a lawsuit against Wrightman, a Middlesex County anti-wind activist.

Wrightman said that when she heard about the proposed new law, "I went, 'What? Really? I could use that, right about now."

Ontario says the law, if passed, would allow courts to quickly identify and deal with strategic lawsuits launched to intimate opponents and reduce their ability to participate in public debates.

The legislation, based on recommendations from an expert advisory panel, would also reduce time wasted in court on meritless claims, the government says.

Esther Wrightman is a modern day heroine and could be the next poster child for Ontario's proposed new law to curb strategic lawsuits launched to silence critics.

a "modern day heroine"? For what?

for filming the removal of an eagle's nest?... a removal that was facilitated by working with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR)... a removal that was approved with the granting of a permit by the MNR. Yes, clearly, the removal of the eagle's nest was a most covert operation, one that the company NextEra Energy Resources (Canada) never wanted exposed to the public!!! Oh... wait... oh my! What's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cItt7y10_Ks

this "modern day heroine" was being silenced??? Really? :lol:

a "modern day heroine"? For what?

for filming the removal of an eagle's nest?... a removal that was facilitated by working with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR)... a removal that was approved with the granting of a permit by the MNR. Yes, clearly, the removal of the eagle's nest was a most covert operation, one that the company NextEra Energy Resources (Canada) never wanted exposed to the public!!! Oh... wait... oh my! What's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cItt7y10_Ks

this "modern day heroine" was being silenced??? Really? :lol:

I cannot believe that Big Wind was given permision for this. Though I am shocked by your mocking of the removal of a protected species for the agenda you support.

When programs like wildlife protection are ignored by big business, I would expect people like Waldo to have a sober second thought.

I guess you feel that the Green agenda is so important that nothing should slow it down. Your like an Oil industry Lobbiest in Green cloths...

I'm not going to bother reading this thread up until now.

Interesting story in the news lately about how the wind farms are making people decide who they'll offer services too.

http://www.manitoulin.ca/2013/05/08/island-dentist-chooses-against-treating-first-nations-and-municipal-councillors-voting-for-wind-turbines/

MANITOULIN—The decision by a Gore Bay dentist to refuse service to Henry Panamick, a member of the M’Chigeeng First Nation band council, over the council’s support of wind power led to Chief Joseph Hare calling an emergency meeting of the First Nation’s governing body to investigate the incident and to decide what, if any, response was called for by the band.

Dr. Bill Studzienny has since announced that his embargo extends to both municipal and band councillors who support wind development on Manitoulin Island.

During the M’Chigeeng council meeting, Mr. Panamick described his visit to the dentist to the council, how he made an appointment, was told to come back at 2 o’clock (“I just figured they were really busy,” he said). When 2 o’clock arrived, Mr. Panamick said he was ushered into a small room by Dr. Studzienny, where the dentist informed him he would not be working on his teeth. “He said, ‘Henry I can’t work on you today’.” recalled Mr. Panamick. “I said ‘Oh, that’s alright,’ figuring it was because it was because they were too busy.” Mr. Panamick said that he and his family have been a clients of the dentist for several years. “He then said, ‘it’s on account of the windmills’,” said Mr. Panamick. “I was still waiting for the punchline.’”

When programs like wildlife protection are ignored by big business, I would expect people like Waldo to have a sober second thought.

I guess you feel that the Green agenda is so important that nothing should slow it down. Your like an Oil industry Lobbiest in Green cloths...

nice try - if you bothered to read, protocols were followed with the Ontario Government department responsible for healthy, sustainable ecosystems and biodiversity conservation; i.e., the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR)... a permit was secured from MNR for the nest removal. More pointedly, 5 artificial replacement nests were introduced in adjoining proximity. Most pointedly, the nesting pair of eagles returned to one of those artificial replacement nests.

Wind power in Ontario blows:

TORONTO - Wind blows — and so sadly does the Liberal government’s Green Energy Act.

Even before the Fraser Institute came out with its damning report on wind and solar energy this week, the writing was on the wall.

Turbines have wreaked havoc on rural Ontario, ruining the countryside, pitting neighbour against neighbour as wind farms sprouted on once lovely fields.

We’ve gone from generating the cheapest electricity in the world to the most expensive in North America.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/11/fraser-institutes-report-shows-green-energy-blows

:lol: from the Fraser Institute written by denier extraordinaire, Ross McKitrick... a must criticized analysis principally based on a flawed AG Report. Of course, one easy counter is to simply deconstruct a representative Ontario customer electric bill - as was done by Power Advisory LLC:

... electricity supply costs account for about half of the total average monthly bill of $154.42 for 2012. Delivery costs made up 30% of the total bill, taxes 12%, and the rest was split up between Regulatory Charges and the Debt Retirement Charge. Of the supply costs, about half (49%) is paid to nuclear generators, 18% is for generation from hydroelectric sources, 15% is for gas-fired generation, and 6% is for coal. Wind is 5% of the total supply cost and solar, biomass and other sources make up the remaining 7%

from the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, Gord Miller: The True Cost of Renewable Energy and Conservation

A typical electrical bill consists of a charge per kWh of electricity used, plus a charge for transmission and distribution, plus a fixed fee to the utility, plus a regulatory charge, plus a debt retirement charge, plus HST, less the 10% the Province has just given us in the clean energy benefit. It is a complicated system to be sure. To get an estimate of a representative rate, we looked at a typical home that heats with natural gas and uses 800 kWh of electricity per month, and we compared that to a similar house with electric heat that uses typically 2500 kWh of electricity per month (averaged over 12 months). Although the costs per month obviously varied ($105 vs. $303) the cost of electricity per kWh “all in” was the same, about 13 cents.

So how much of that is due to renewables and conservation? In 2010, the Ontario Power Authority paid electricity resource costs of $317 million for conservation programs, and $269 million for renewables. That is a lot of money – but you must realize that it is recovered over a total Ontario consumption in 2010 of 142 terawatt hours (that’s 142,000,000,000 kWh), which amounts to 0.4 cents per kWh (split roughly equally between conservation and renewable subsidies). So the cost of conservation and all the renewable subsidies in 2010 amounted to 0.4 cents of the 13 cents we paid for a kWh in our homes. A significant amount, perhaps, but hardly the bogeyman that it is so often made out to be.

Ontario is on track to score the wind power FAIL trifecta (I guess that's a "hat trick" in Canadaspeak):

1) Highest "hydro" rates in North America except for PEI.

2) Economic disadvantage because of very high power costs for industry

3) More gas fired backups and stupid giveaways below cost because of Big Wind variability

Ouch ! Big Wind is going to cost Ontario ratepayers boucoup loonies:

Coping with surplus wind power will cost Ontario electricity ratepayers up to $200 million a year if market rules don’t change, says the power system operator.

Moreover, it says, if it can’t control the flow of wind and solar power onto the Ontario grid, then “reliable and economic operation of the power system is, at best, highly compromised and likely not feasible.”

The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) makes the statements in a filing with the Ontario Energy Board.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/02/26/surplus_wind_power_could_cost_ontario_ratepayers_up_to_200_million_ieso.html

374133_10151081279036463_1085849616_n.jp

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Ontario is on track to score the wind power FAIL trifecta (I guess that's a "hat trick" in Canadaspeak):

1) Highest "hydro" rates in North America except for PEI.

2) Economic disadvantage because of very high power costs for industry

3) More gas fired backups and stupid giveaways below cost because of Big Wind variability

- what does your #1 have to do with wind power's contribution to rates?

- what does your #2 have to do with wind power's impact to industry power costs?

- no... as already discussed, supported and substantiated in this thread, wind variability can be principally managed/accommodated either through existing backup capacity within the overall system, or through multiple wind farm smoothing affects... whether on a more small-scale localized level or on broader and more expansive regional levels. To be most precise on whether particular areas might cause the need for additional backup capacity to be installed, a clear accounting of the/any region impact and accompanying requirement must be stated... you know, something beyond your standard and baseless talking points.

no biggee - as your linked article highlights, too much wind power created becomes simply a more expensive operational maintenance issue... the same issue/concern discussed earlier in this thread in regards to a condition Germany occasionally must deal with. One they're dealing with by upgrading the grid management practices and infrastructure... the same thing Ontario will be faced with.

in 2005 the Ontario Government instituted the Global Adjustment (GA) charge as a means to collect from Ontario customers any shortfalls in the costs of generation contracts or regulated rates. Per the 2011-2012 Ontario Energy Board Report, since 2006 a breakdown of the sources behind GA charges has been:

- 45 percent is attributable to the Bruce Power and OPG nuclear units

- 28 percent is attributable to OEFC‟s NUG contracts and contingency financial support for OPG‟s coal-fired generation

- 13 percent is attributable to CES and early-mover gas-fired generation contracts

- 8 percent is attributable to other sources such as demand response and payments for the output of OPG‟s prescribed hydroelectric assets

- 6 percent is attributable to renewable assets, primarily wind and solar resources

Good link... Ontario has been paying through the nose for a long time due to McGuinty's policies. Our township declared itself An Unwilling Host, but that doesn't stop them.

We are supposed to clip posts when quoting, but I couldn't delete that image..

Edited by Charles Anthony
trimmed quote