Canada singled out as global leader in the fight against malnutrition

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Universal child care.

That, maybe, gets them a nutritious lunch or breakfast (assuming the child care includes food). Doesn't do anything about getting them a dinner. How often is food provided free of charge at public schools?

And do you suggest a child has to be taken to child care by law? What about someone who's on the doll? they don't really need childcare?

Edited by Boges

That, maybe, gets them a nutritious lunch or breakfast (assuming the child care includes food). Doesn't do anything about getting them a dinner.

No reason why after-school care couldn't include dinner.

How often is food provided free of charge at public schools?

Only by private fundraising. It should be universal.

And do you suggest a child has to be taken to child care by law? What about someone who's on the doll? they don't really need childcare?

All children should have access to 3 meals a day.

No reason why after-school care couldn't include dinner.

Only by private fundraising. It should be universal.

All children should have access to 3 meals a day.

If Provinces are in charge of Education and municipalities run the local school boards - why do you think the Feds should be involved to any great degree? Roles and responsibilities should be clear so that we don't have levels of government fighting with each other. All the Feds can do is transfer money to the Provinces - who transfer it to the cities - who give it to the school boards. It's getting old but it's true - there is only one taxpayer. The strategy has to be worked out at the local level - its not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Providing 3 meals a day to children? What does that say about parenting? Talk about a nanny-state. This is where "progressives" are truly disconnected from Conservatives. Let the government do everything. Don't take personal responsibility. Those 3 meals a day will be taken up by many, many kids whose parents would say "what the heck, I'm paying for them through my taxes - so why not have my kids eat at school".. It's a Pandora's box. Sounds all warm and fuzzy on the surface but as usual, it doesn't work in the real world.

Edited by Keepitsimple

If Provinces are in charge of Education and municipalities run the local school boards - why do you think the Feds should be involved to any great degree? Roles and responsibilities should be clear so that we don't have levels of government fighting with each other. All the Feds can do is transfer money to the Provinces - who transfer it to the cities - who give it to the school boards. It's getting old but it's true - there is only one taxpayer. The strategy has to be worked out at the local level - its not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Providing 3 meals a day to children? What does that say about parenting? Talk about a nanny-state. This is where "progressives" are truly disconnected from Conservatives. Let the government do everything. Don't take personal responsibility. Those 3 meals a day will be taken up by many, many kids whose parents would say "what the heck, I'm paying for them through my taxes - so why not have my kids eat at school".. It's a Pandora's box. Sounds all warm and fuzzy on the surface but as usual, it doesn't work in the real world.

Exactly. I think each province handling it themselves would be much more efficient.

The only way to ensure that every child gets fed 3 nutritious meals a day would be to take away rights from parents. How do you ensure such a thing?

Also I'm sure provinces and local school boards would reject a federally mandated nutrition program, they'd just want the money and do with it as they please.

The only way to ensure that every child gets fed 3 nutritious meals a day would be to take away rights from parents. How do you ensure such a thing?

School and after school meal programs accessible by ALL children and adolescents.

Also I'm sure provinces and local school boards would reject a federally mandated nutrition program, they'd just want the money and do with it as they please.

Well they can't have it. :)

Currently, where school meal programs exist, the money and labour comes from local charities.

Schools with meal programs are often astounded by the improvements in student behaviour, attention and achievement, regardless of the affluence of families.

It should be universal.

The payoff in reduced social services and increased GDP would make it a great investment.

Edited by jacee

School and after school meal programs accessible by ALL children and adolescents.Well they can't have it. :)

Currently, where school meal programs exist, the money and labour comes from local charities.

Schools with meal programs are often astounded by the improvements in student behaviour, attention and achievement, regardless of the affluence of families.It should be universal.

The payoff in reduced social services and increased GDP would make it a great investment.

No, it would not decrease social services, it would increase it.

No, it would not increase GDP.