Sri LanKan says Baird is a Buffoon!

Old Baird came down On Sri Lankan for their Human Rights and the government came right back at him and Harper over same issue with the First nations. Of course, this gave other countries to put their two cents in towards Canada. Nice to know that nothing has change with the Tories representing Canada to the world. BTW, read the comments at the bottom, they are funny. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/sri-lankan-newspaper-publishes-scathing-editorial-baird-harper-065232652.html

The harsh language was probably buoyed by a recent article in the UK's Guardian, where Baird launched what the newspaper called a "blistering attack."

"We're appalled that Sri Lanka seems poised to host CHOGM and to be chair-in-residence of the Commonwealth for two years," he told the Guardian.

"Canada didn't get involved in the Commonwealth to accommodate evil; we came to combat it."

I guess Sri Lanka is maybe a bit p'd that Baird called them "evil" (re the slaughter of Tamils at the end of the civil war, I presume).

He spoke his mind bluntly.

There are consequences ... for Canada.

He spoke his mind bluntly.

Thanks for the context. My opinion of Baird has gone up. The world would be better off if more people weren't afraid to call a spade a spade.

There are consequences ... for Canada.

Consequences? Hardly. Edited by TimG

"It goes on to chronicle Canada's human rights record with regard to First Nations and then lists a series of complaints, about Canada, from other countries around the world.

Russia expressed alarm over Canada’s “Police actions of torture and cruelty against peaceful demonstrators and China complained of “widespread racial discrimination in Canada.”

North Korea, perhaps mockingly, expressed serious concerns about “continued violations of the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, torture and other ill-treatment, racism and xenophobia” in Canada; Iran did likewise by referring to “child sexual exploitation and trafficking, the right to food, and discriminatory laws against Indigenous people and minority groups including Muslims, Arabs and African communities”; Egypt complained of “racial profiling of Muslims in law-enforcement action”; Cuba was concerned with “racism and xenophobia” in Canada."

Complaints courtesy of the Comedy Channel. I mean the UN.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/26/north-korea-iran-attack-canadas-human-rights-record-at-un-forum/

Thanks for the context. My opinion of Baird has gone up. The world would be better off if more people weren't afraid to call a spade a spade.Consequences? Hardly.

You call someone "evil", they're gonna call you something back. Consequences.

Maybe it's more important to do something effective about human rights abuses than to just blunder around shooting your mouth off.

Edited by jacee

"It goes on to chronicle Canada's human rights record with regard to First Nations and then lists a series of complaints, about Canada, from other countries around the world.

Russia expressed alarm over Canadas Police actions of torture and cruelty against peaceful demonstrators and China complained of widespread racial discrimination in Canada.

North Korea, perhaps mockingly, expressed serious concerns about continued violations of the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, torture and other ill-treatment, racism and xenophobia in Canada; Iran did likewise by referring to child sexual exploitation and trafficking, the right to food, and discriminatory laws against Indigenous people and minority groups including Muslims, Arabs and African communities; Egypt complained of racial profiling of Muslims in law-enforcement action; Cuba was concerned with racism and xenophobia in Canada."

Complaints courtesy of the Comedy Channel. I mean the UN.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/26/north-korea-iran-attack-canadas-human-rights-record-at-un-forum/

Not sure about the reference to torture, but can't disagree with the rest.

You really can't be serious.

Oh, I'm sure he is.

It's the North Koreans and their buddies on the Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review I would wonder about when it comes to being serious or not.

Edited by bcsapper

Many other western nations are quietly thinking, I wish we had the balls to stand up for what you believe in. I love how the left would sell this country out to anyone as long as they could somehow embarress the goverment. They only complaint anyone could have about the natives , is why we never sent any of the chiefs and band council to jail for the stealing of billions that was to feed they own people with. We have nothing to be ashamed of except that.

Edited by PIK

:lol:

You are joking, right?

He must be. I mean, I see children exploited and traded in an open market as I make my way to and from work; people of different skin colours battling it out with each other on the TTC every morning, except the Muslims and Arabs who're, of course, locked off in concentration camps; I've had the police haul down my tent and evict me from parks whenever I try to set up camp there; and they routinely drag me off the street when I refuse to let the right of 1000s of people to use the road trump my right to sit there and block their passage in the name of whatever cause it is I personally think is the most just that day. I so, so wish I could get onto the underground railroad to North Korea or Iran. Aaaahhh, to dream.

Oh, I'm sure he is.

It's the North Koreans and their buddies on the Human Rights Councils Universal Periodic Review I would wonder about when it comes to being serious or not.

Not arguing that.

But you mouth off "evil", you are going to get some back.

Who's lily white here?

• 3 weeks later...

You call someone "evil", they're gonna call you something back. Consequences.

Maybe it's more important to do something effective about human rights abuses than to just blunder around shooting your mouth off.

Unless you're suggesting military action, shaming and isolating these nations is among the best ways to do that. Or did you have some other idea?

Baird is a buffoon. It's easy to dislike him. Looking at the bright side, him and our foreign policy will be one of the reasons the Conservatives will have a difficult time staying in power after the next elections.

By and large Canadians seem to like their foreign policy, except for the leftist extremists, of course.

I personally think Baird should of used one of Demi Moores quotes....Suck my Dic*.....Bet that would grabed everyones attention...

This is another example of why we as a nation should pull out of that money pit that produces nothing....the monkeys are running the ZOO....and have been for a while now....

And to those Canadians that agree and seriously think we should be listening to nations who's human rights records speak for themselfs, should bend over, grab your ears and pull straight down....this will dislodge your head, if not pull harder.....those that still think Canada is a bad place to live, contact me I'll come over and help you pack for free....maybe a few years in North Korea, China, Russia is exactly what the doctor ordered....