Civility in the House of Commons

jacee

Civility project

A 'new' idea ... Get tough on MP's who engage in name calling, personal insults, harassment, intimidation, obfuscation ... bullying and ultra-partisan grandstanding.

Consider:

Students are taught not to engage in such behaviour. It's in the Code of Conduct with penalties.

Employees are expected to collaborate for efficient, effective performance.

Even here on mlw such behaviour is in violation of forum rules. People do get warned, suspended and banned.

How efficient and effective can our government be if they're wasting time, energy and talent and our tax dollars in sniping at each other and grandstanding for the cameras when they should be putting their energy and our tax dollars into efficiently and effectively running the country?

This isn't a partisan issue. All parties, MP's, together form the Legislative branch of our government (along with the Senate; plus the Executive and Judicial branches). All are culpable.

And most importantly, imo, consider this comment on the article linked above ... really think about it:

I remember taking a group of grade 10 students to watch their government in action. The students were appalled by the rude, childish, obscene and bullying behavior they witnessed. It was embarrassing to watch these men (mostly men) act this way. As role models they failed. I probably turned off 35 potential voters that day and I can't blame them. Add that to the number of student visits in a year and you might just have the reason for voting apathy of the young. It is time for the House to clean up this low level of debate and show some leadership, intelligence and integrity. Maybe then politicians might just get some of that respect they don't get now. I applaud this move.

Me too. I think it should receive full televised debate in the House. I think Canadians would be very interested to know just where EVERY MP stands on the issue of CIVIL CONDUCT in governance.

Let's see if they know how. :)

Edited by jacee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When thatcher became PM , how the left acted there makes ours look like church. It seems that jacee seems to think it is the conservatives that are the problem, but that is far from the truth. And in the commons with all the shit going on, what does the NDP talk about, the limo to india. Talk about small town cheap. Any way, that is the place to get it out of your system instead of outside. Thsi again si somethinmg that is being over blown to try to make the goverment look bad, but hey if that is the only scandals they can find, we have nothing to worry about.

Edited by PIK

Maybe all MP's and I'm not picking on the Tories except maybe Van Loan who used the F-word, they ALL should take anger management class. The one thing that I think gets most views is when someone on the opposition side ask a serious question, and the Tories don't give a proper answer or reverse the answer to an attack on the person that asked it. If any of you have watched the British Parliament, talk about a circus but they is more humour in there's than ours.

When thatcher became PM , how the left acted there makes ours look like church. It seems that jacee seems to think it is the conservatives that are the problem, but that is far from the truth. And in the commons with all the shit going on, what does the NDP talk about, the limo to india. Talk about small town cheap. Any way, that is the place to get it out of your system instead of outside. Thsi again si somethinmg that is being over blown to try to make the goverment look bad, but hey if that is the only scandals they can find, we have nothing to worry about.

Oh I think all the parties have a problem ... same problem as posters here ... every issue descends into the gutter of petty partisan sniping.

The level of intelligence displayed in the House is pathetic ... and embarrassing.

Not to mention a damn waste of our money.

Smallc, that's not true. The PM and the rest of his party set the tone of the House and I've watched it everyday since the Tories have been in power and some of the ministers don't answer with a serious answer and no matter what people think of Rae, he does ask serious questions to the PM or other ministers. When the minister does want to give the answer because of what it will show about the minister , they reverse it and attack the person that asked. The also do it to the NDP when they do ask. They should make it that no one can tell a lie when asked a question. For one thing, it disrespects the House.

Oh I think all the parties have a problem ... same problem as posters here ... every issue descends into the gutter of petty partisan sniping.

The level of intelligence displayed in the House is pathetic ... and embarrassing.

Not to mention a damn waste of our money.

Well then the opp should not waste time on limo's and robocalls and use of official letterhead and get back to the business of the day.Always trying to build a scandal out of nothing and the people will remember that next election.

Smallc, that's not true. The PM and the rest of his party set the tone of the House and I've watched it everyday since the Tories have been in power and some of the ministers don't answer with a serious answer and no matter what people think of Rae, he does ask serious questions to the PM or other ministers. When the minister does want to give the answer because of what it will show about the minister , they reverse it and attack the person that asked. The also do it to the NDP when they do ask. They should make it that no one can tell a lie when asked a question. For one thing, it disrespects the House.

Iguess you never watched when chretien was in power.

Civility project

A 'new' idea ... Get tough on MP's who engage in name calling, personal insults, harassment, intimidation, obfuscation ... bullying and ultra-partisan grandstanding.

Consider:

Students are taught not to engage in such behaviour. It's in the Code of Conduct with penalties.

Employees are expected to collaborate for efficient, effective performance.

Even here on mlw such behaviour is in violation of forum rules. People do get warned, suspended and

banned.

How efficient and effective can our government be if they're wasting time, energy and talent and our tax dollars in sniping at each other and grandstanding for the cameras when they should be putting their energy and our tax dollars into efficiently and effectively running the country?

This isn't a partisan issue. All parties, MP's, together form the Legislative branch of our government (along with the Senate; plus the Executive and Judicial branches). All are culpable.

And most importantly, imo, consider this comment on the article linked above ... really think about it:

I remember taking a group of grade 10 students to watch their government in action. The students were

appalled by the rude, childish, obscene and bullying behavior they witnessed. It was embarrassing to watch these men (mostly men) act this way. As role models they failed. I probably turned off 35 potential voters that day and I can't blame them. Add that to the number of student visits in a year and you might just have the reason for voting apathy of the young. It is time for the House to clean up this low level of debate and show some leadership, intelligence and integrity. Maybe then politicians might just get some of

that respect they don't get now. I applaud this move.

Me too. I think it should receive full televised debate in the House. I think Canadians would be very

interested to know just where EVERY MP stands on the issue of CIVIL CONDUCT in governance.

Let's see if they know how. :)

life's tough wear a helmet. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen and all that other jazz.

People need some I testinal fortitude. They should be permitted to drop the f-bomb more in there, at least it's honest.

QP is a stage show. That's what it's supposed to be. It's part of our traditions going back a long way.

Point being ... it's a "show" not fit to be seen ... especially by the children and adolescents who visit our 'esteemed' Parliament as part of their education and come away without respect for democratic process degenerated to dogfight.

We pay them for that "show".

I want a refund.

Edited by jacee

boo,

end this bloody censorship.

People have freedom of expression.

Just hold them to their expression.

Get the censors the hell out of debate.

Its suppose to be a free country.

Call a mule a mule but don't muzzle a mule that has something to say that is constructive.

Some things people do deserve a vulgar, violent or even lethal response. Acknolwegdge that.

Stop pussifying the country.

Professional and respectful environments are a two way street.

Edited by shortlived

Which includes the freedom to criticise the way others express themselves. But, exp<b></b>ression isn't absolutely, free. Nor is the exercise of what freedom one has free of consequences.

Good point. China and Iran have freedom of expression too. It just so happens that exercising that freedom has some inconvenient consequences such as imprisonment or execution. :rolleyes: