Amanda's Plea to Galen Weston Jr. of Loblaw

There's been some talk around the boards lately about how unions aren't needed anymore and that companies are better behaved than they once were. If we're going to have economic behemoths running around crushing innovation and stealing ideas, let's at least force them to share their booty with those working with them maybe ?

That seems to me like it would work, anyway.

A certain brand of Yogurt is innovation?

There's an old documentary about Wal-Mart where people would go to their home offices in Arkansas and basically beg to be one of their vendors. Entrepreneurship is a high-risk game and Loblaws is, by no means, the only game in town. Perhaps she was asking too much to sell her product, the video doesn't say.

I feel sympathetic to this lady's business problems but to equate her business spat with her husband's health issues is kind of inappropriate if you ask me.

The problem is that they agreed to carry her product, which required her to go out and invest in production and inventory to supply them.

Then they "accidentally" dropped their purchase.

I need more details though. She's not very clear about what was in the agreement. I would like to know if she got it in writing and what specifically it said. If she did get a purchase order in writing and they cancelled their order after she went and invested in production and stock, then she should win this case and Loblaws is ridiculous for bankrupting them and dragging them through the courts, hoping it will just go away.

However, if they just expressed interest in her product with no written agreement to purchase, she took a serious gamble and lost. She needs to approach Sobeys or other grocers and try to get her product in their stores.

I hope , but have little expectation. that this woman succeeds in getting some relief from Loblaws. I have seen this firsthand from Loblaws many years ago. They placed an order , it was shipped on time, then they decided to send it back and not pay the bill . While the loss was not huge, it was certainly a very unhealthy blow to the small company .

A certain brand of Yogurt is innovation?

As far as these things go, yes.

There's an old documentary about Wal-Mart where people would go to their home offices in Arkansas and basically beg to be one of their vendors. Entrepreneurship is a high-risk game and Loblaws is, by no means, the only game in town. Perhaps she was asking too much to sell her product, the video doesn't say.

She was pretty specific about written commitments that were reneged upon.

I feel sympathetic to this lady's business problems but to equate her business spat with her husband's health issues is kind of inappropriate if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure she is just trying to get attention. The funny thing is that she has the justice system on her side, but yet somehow she can't get justice yet so she has to resort to these tactics.

As it is before the courts - no, the media generally stays clear. Another reason why big companies and big legal firms use delay tactic after delay tactic.

So then her publishing her story on Youtube probably hurts her chances winning the case then. The fact that "The case is before the courts" didn't stop the Media from covering Rob Ford many instances of legal trouble.

If the media doesn't why should we?

The media cared about a Monkey in a jacket walking around an Ikea.

BTW a Toronto Radio station I listen to is promoting an interview with the lady. So I guess the viral video has made the story newsworthy.

I saw the monkey thing as pure viral marketing.... could be advertising for the monkey's fabulous coat.

But you are right, monkeys make headlines while, corporations doing bad.. nah we don't need to get into that.

I saw the monkey thing as pure viral marketing.... could be advertising for the monkey's fabulous coat.

But you are right, monkeys make headlines while, corporations doing bad.. nah we don't need to get into that.

The monkey thing was about some crazy lady that owned a monkey and treated it like a child. I wouldn't even take my dog to Ikea but she took her monkey. The thing was just so cute walking around with that coat. The former owner made the story more newsworthy by doing the media circuit and exposing herself to be a mental case.