murderer, Guy Turcotte, released

Bonam

How can anyone say definitively that he is cured if they haven't found the insane cause of the blackouts and madness?

No one has said definitively he is cured .

No one will either.

There need be an alternative. Perhaps a medically inserted dispenser that administers a treatment med as needed.

In all too many cases I suspect,

1) The court has been flummoxed

2) The murderer got away with it.

3) The doctors have an agenda and are advocates for the perps.

4) The public are of little consequence.

to add.

5) The Jurors got it right with the evidence presented

6) The Doctors got it right as they are advocates for treatment

7) The public are well served.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its called "rehabilitation".... To your logic,,, You think maybe a few days is to "extreme"?? Maybe just immediate parole with supervision the following day? "Im sure he wont do it again".. right?

This sicko, regardless of mental state, should be behind bars for life.. Yup, LIFE. This guy played the system, killed 2 children and now the "left" is treating him like a victim.....

Not fair to blame the left or any other segment of society for the release effort or the hold institutionally position

When the argument is of sanity issues there will almost without exception be two schools of thought. Those arguing as advocates for release and those opposed. Logically if there are any concerns about cure or recidivism, there should be no release that puts others at risk.

In this case if marital problems led to the butchering of his children(to get even?), then another trigger could be conflict with a boss or even road rage. I'm not willing to risk that eventuality by allowing the release of a mental case that has shown what they are capable of committing over a domestic situation.

Call me crazy, but I want an agreement, unanimity by all with a dog in the fight, and I would like that based on science, not subjective voodoo.

On Friday, Turcotte's defence lawyers urged the board not to give in to public pressure to keep the 39-year-old at the psychiatric hospital. They argued Turcotte should be allowed to resume a normal life after a psychiatrist brought forward by the defence Thursday said Turcotte showed no signs of mental illness and was not a danger to society.

Turcotte admitted he stabbed his children, Anne-Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5, in February 2009 in a rented home north of Montreal. He was charged with first-degree murder, but denied intent, claiming he was deeply distraught about the collapse of his marriage.

In 2011, a jury decided Turcotte was suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the killings, and found him not criminally responsible.

The jurors may have found him not criminally responsible, but he still killed those 2 children. If he was insane enough to do so, then he should spend the rest of his life in a mental institution instead of a prison.

I have to agree with him even though I am a 'lefty'. I disagree entirely with the concept of 'not criminally responsible' (aka not guilty) because everyone needs to be responsible for their own action. Either you are guilty or not guilty.

The only time 'not criminally responsible' should be used is when you are forced by another person (eg pointing a loaded gun at you) to kill someone, otherwise that person would kill you.

Either way, he should never walk free again. People who kill out of insanity are some of the scariest ones.

Luka Magnotta

Ed Gein

James Holmes

Ted Bundy

John Gacy

etc, etc, etc....

Edited by Sleipnir

I have to agree with him even though I am a 'lefty'. I disagree entirely with the concept of 'not criminally responsible' (aka not guilty) because everyone needs to be responsible for their own action. Either you are guilty or not guilty.

Except "not criminally responsible" is not the same as not guilty.

The only time 'not criminally responsible' should be used is when you are forced by another person (eg pointing a loaded gun at you) to kill someone, otherwise that person would kill you.

So a mentally handicapped person, say, who doesn't have the capacity for understanding right or wrong or the consequences of their actions should be treated the same as a stone-cold killer?

So a mentally handicapped person, say, who doesn't have the capacity for understanding right or wrong or the consequences of their actions should be treated the same as a stone-cold killer?

If you're capable of doing a heinous crime, why not?

Edited by Sleipnir

<p>

5) The Jurors got it right with the evidence presented

And juries never ever make mistakes, do they.

So, how's the search for the real killer of Nicole Brown Simpson going?

6) The Doctors got it right as they are advocates for treatment

Except of course the institute where Guy Turcotte was actually being treated said "You know, I don't think its a good idea for him to be released yet".

But then, what woudl you expect the people actually treating Guy Turcotte to know?

<p>And juries never ever make mistakes, do they.

I imagine they can and do.

So, how's the search for the real killer of Nicole Brown Simpson going?

Not sure.

But then again, I too would have acquitted him had I been witness to such shoddy public prosecutors.

If the glove wont fit.........

The point I was making is there were other options out there.

Why is this a left-wing problem when Our right wing government has been in power for a decade? lol

Well, as I posted earlier, the current government is going to try and put it right. It might be too late for the subject's wife, but at least in the future, the public will be protected for a little longer from such people.

Cool....the Conservatives are now the "natural ruling party" of Canada.

Not really. I don't know how it works down there, but the actual running of the country and the provinces is done by Deputy Ministers on down, and they aren't elected. Unless the government intervenes, they continue doing things just like they ever did.

Maybe if the Tories are in for the next twenty years...

Edited by bcsapper