murderer, Guy Turcotte, released

Bonam

Your assuming the jury wanted him out in 3 years????????? No, a doctor wanted him out in 3 years.

I may add that turcotte was seen to show no "short term threat" under house monitor.... Long term? Yes... Let's experiment.... Let's say his next wife fools around on him with kids.... Long term....

I'm not assuming anything about the jury. The only thing I know about the jury is that they a) heard all the facts about the case, and B) decided Turcotte was "not criminally responsible" by virtue of those facts.

You and others are arguing that he should be criminally responsible.

I'm wondering how you reached that conclusion, since the 12 people at the trial that were evaluating the facts and evidence did not believe he should be held criminally responsible.

Feel free to contribute to the discussion any time.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and others are arguing that he should be criminally responsible.

I'm not. I'm arguing that people who are not criminally responsible for their actions should not be let anywhere near normal people.

I'm not. I'm arguing that people who are not criminally responsible for their actions should not be let anywhere near normal people.

He was not criminally responsible in this circumstance. It does not mean that he is forever and always not criminally responsible in all situations.

Edited by cybercoma

Yes I am cyber. "not guily" was not an option given to the jury. He was guilty. He could have been guilty with an excuse of "cough due to cold" for all the judge thought... But guilty of slaying his 2 children. He is a sick puppy, but free now

He was not criminally responsible in this circumstance. It does not that he is forever and always not criminally responsible in all situations.

It doesn't matter. You want to give him a babysitting job?

Yes I am cyber. "not guily" was not an option given to the jury. He was guilty. He could have been guilty with an excuse of "cough due to cold" for all the judge thought... But guilty of slaying his 2 children. He is a sick puppy, but free now

You don't seem to understand our justice system. He was not found guilty of the charges. It's not either guilty or not guilty. The verdict was "not criminally responsible." That is neither guilty nor not guilty.

It doesn't matter. You want to give him a babysitting job?

Of course it matters. You said "people who are not criminally responsible for their actions." That's inaccurate. Those are your words. The jury didn't deem that he's forever not criminally responsible for his actions.

Your rhetorical question is irrelevant.

Of course it matters. You said "people who are not criminally responsible for their actions." That's inaccurate. Those are your words. The jury didn't deem that he's forever not criminally responsible for his actions.

Your rhetorical question is irrelevant.

I don't care what the jury said. Not a whit. I never argued for or against what the jury said. What exactly is inaccurate about what I said? I said this:

And that is very accurate. They shouldn't.

The jury found him to be crazy - and given what he did - he probably was/is crazy. Unfortunately for the jury - they never really know what the sentence will be.....most probably assumed he would be in an institution for a long, long time. Ask the jurors if they think this guy should be on the street and I doubt even ONE would agree......and they likely feel remorse for not convicting him of straight up murder. Think about it....after seeing pictures of children who were stabbed to death - and hearing that they died a slow death.....and now their murderer will be walking the streets.....

Lots of emotional reactions without any sort of reflection on the situation.

Yes. Murder is bad.

Killing children is even worse.

Everybody getting together and discussing what a horrible, terrible thing Turcotte did is not even remotely interesting. It's a given.

What's interesting is the fact that he was found "not criminally responsible" by the jury and was released by the mental health board. Examining how this happened and why this happened is more interesting. Hearing intelligent and articulate responses as to why this should not happen, would be even better.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone, in nearly 50 posts, has been able to even remotely approach that level discussion.

How is someone that kills due to a mental health issue more frightening than someone that plans and carries out murder with a completely healthy mind?

It is more frightneing because at least we can hold someone to account for their actions if they have a healthy mind. Their actions can be quantified, and society has the ability to segregate them for the safety of the greater public. This does not seem to be the case if they have a mental issue.

It is more frightneing because at least we can hold someone to account for their actions if they have a healthy mind. Their actions can be quantified, and society has the ability to segregate them for the safety of the greater public. This does not seem to be the case if they have a mental issue.

So how do we ensure safety with someone that has a mental health issue?