Unions Using Teachers Using Students

According to this story in today's Star, it's a lot harder for parents to volunteer than just get a police check if they want to do stuff that teachers aren't allowed to do because of their Union.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/01/31/ontario_teacher_protests_10000_school_play_too_much_parents_say.html

Jim Barry volunteered to help with the school play at his son’s high school after teachers stopped running extracurricular activities.

But now, the show can’t go on.

After stepping forward, Barry was appalled to learn all the costs parents would incur to stage the play — from renting the school auditorium for rehearsals and performances, to buying insurance, to hiring police officers for security during the shows — all required by the Toronto District School Board.

The price tag? About $10,000.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this story in today's Star, it's a lot harder for parents to volunteer than just get a police check if they want to do stuff that teachers aren't allowed to do because of their Union.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/01/31/ontario_teacher_protests_10000_school_play_too_much_parents_say.html

[/background][/size][/background][/size]

Now you know what teachers do. 10000 dollars is then price of putting on a play teachers just fundraiser as well to do it.

Now you know what teachers do. 10000 dollars is then price of putting on a play teachers just fundraiser as well to do it.

So the teachers have to pay to rent the auditorium, pay police officers and buy insurance?

I understand insuring the parent but that's, by far, the least costly thing this parent is being asked to pay. ($30 a day)

Edited by Boges

So the teachers have to pay to rent the auditorium, pay police officers and buy insurance?

I understand insuring the parent but that's, by far, the least costly thing this parent is being asked to pay. ($30 a day)

Yes 10,000 to put on a school play is the norm. It is what it cost the school I went to put on a play and guess what? We had teachers there, that is why you sell tickets. In fact 10,000 is rather cheap to put on a school play, teachers just always do it so you assume it is free. It isn't. Now you know what teachers do out of the goodness of their hearts. It is not part of their job.

Yes 10,000 to put on a school play is the norm. It is what it cost the school I went to put on a play and guess what? We had teachers there, that is why you sell tickets. In fact 10,000 is rather cheap to put on a school play, teachers just always do it so you assume it is free. It isn't. Now you know what teachers do out of the goodness of their hearts. It is not part of their job.

No teacher would be forced to pay for rent of auditorium the school owns. They wouldn't do it if that was the case.

Sure if a private company wanted to use the facility that's different. But these are students that go to the school.

And BTW the board also wouldn't allow the parents to use a contact list so they could try and sell tickets to people.

These were roadblocks put up by the board to try and convince parents not to do jobs that teachers normally do.

It's guessed in the story that these charges are wildly inflated.

He understands parents’ frustration and acknowledged the costs involved, but said it’s impossible for principals to sponsor every group and it’s not fair for them to pick and choose.

Bird also believes the fee to use the play was about $800 for three nights, not $2,500.

Local trustee Howard Goodman is working on a motion for trustees to vote on that would give parents a break on the costly permit fees.

This is the School Board that has no problem paying someone over $100 to screw in a pencil sharpener.

Edited by Boges

I guarantee you that is the price to put on a play. I am sorry that now you know what teachers actually do that you want to blame them for the price of the things they do for free. GET OVER IT!

Oh a punked guarantee? I can't argue with that :rolleyes:

Please tell me you don't actually believe teachers need to fundraise $10,000 (or any amount) to run a school play at their own school. How delusional can you be? :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

No teacher would be forced to pay for rent of auditorium the school owns. They wouldn't do it if that was the case.

I assure you they often times are. I know this for a fact. They do however get preferential booking. I notice nothing in that article says the school has an auditorium right BTW?

http://www.thestar.c...arents_say.html

[/background][/size][/background][/size]

Too bad parents' won't advocate on mass to give themselves more work... maybe they should?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Secondary School Union is backing down on the ban on Extra-curricular.

Teachers should return to extracurriculars; they are essential to the school experience and teachers, in general, love to help. However, they should demand that their unions start to highlight all of the positive, volunteer hours teachers contribute. Sports, clubs, trips, special lunches, remedial help programs, enrichment programs, intramural activities, science fairs, plays, nutrition programs, music programs, counselling, support, poverty relief, etc. are all services teachers provide on their own time for free. Most even spend their own money providing extras.

They have to take control of their unions and use their collective dues to combat ignorance and show all the great work they do.

Too bad parents' won't advocate on mass to give themselves more work... maybe they should?

I would love to see the community as a whole play a much larger role in providing all of the free services that are essential to producing the type of well rounded young citizens we want and need. Not only does it feel good to contribute and make a difference, it allows people to develop connections, friendships and community ties. It takes a village to raise a child.

The Elementary teachers are refusing to lift their ban on Extra-Curriculars. MCC is right, this is a really militant union, apparently you can't even blame the Union, the membership is demanding this. Well that's what Sam Hammond says anyway.

Edited by Boges

Stupid, stupid, stupid. They will be facing more cuts when the current contract expires. If they want any sort of public support this is the wrong way of building it. ETFO is claiming the membership is demanding this, but the union has routinely sent communications to anger the rank and file.

It is time for them to showcase the great volunteer work they normally provide every day. It's also time for the union to run adds to show the public all of the free services teachers provide.

OSSTF has already recommended that high school teachers return to extracurriculars if they wish. This union is doing it right. They are building support and unlike ETFO, they actually found some time to show up at the bargaining table during the recent mess. The elementary teachers need to demand better from their overlords or force a personnel change.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. They will be facing more cuts when the current contract expires. If they want any sort of public support this is the wrong way of building it. ETFO is claiming the membership is demanding this, but the union has routinely sent communications to anger the rank and file.It is time for them to showcase the great volunteer work they normally provide every day. It's also time for the union to run adds to show the public all of the free services teachers provide.OSSTF has already recommended that high school teachers return to extracurriculars if they wish. This union is doing it right. They are building support and unlike ETFO, they actually found some time to show up at the bargaining table during the recent mess. The elementary teachers need to demand better from their overlords or force a personnel change.

I've read that the reason OSSTF backed off was that many kids were wanting to try and go to a Catholic School for next year if they could.

Edited by Boges

I did read an article about that and listened to the author speak on talk radio. It seems most of it is opinion based. Though some parents may choose that route for their kids I doubt the transfer will be significant and it wasn't even mentioned by the union. OSSTF did not have near the level of support for the work to rule campaign as ETFO did in the first place.

I've read that the reason OSSTF backed off was that many kids were wanting to try and go to a Catholic School for next year if they could.

The media sure ran with that one, trying to scare teachers into giving in. I read a few responses from Catholic Schools saying they didn't notice any change, a few others that said they felt it was bit more busy. A few people from the Catholic boards really indulged in the marketing of the Catholic board to talk it up. The reality is that a few kids might have switched... Unless there are a large number of idiot parents who think that their child is guaranteed a spot on a team(lol, so shortsighted. Public teachers probably wouldn't want to deal with that parent anyways)

The "official" reason was to show goodwill toward Wynne so that they could get back to bargaining.

Extracurricular's are more intertwined with Secondary teachers. It's part of many teachers' identity. They enjoy the coaching, many identify with the coaching more than teaching. I think it's harder for OSSTF to hold them off and read their membership fairly well. As MAC said, they didn't have the same level of support ETFO did from the start. The heart of their membership wanted to leave the imposition/Bill 115 to the courts, and modify the deal to get something to vote on. That's what they are getting.

Give a Mike Harris scenario where secondary teachers get a whole crap load of extra work and more teaching time that take away extracurriculars and they'd be held off indefinitely.

I feel that ETFO is digging themselves their own grave. If OSSTF walks out of here with a 4 year contract, I've heard rumours that they want a 4 year deal to avoid a potential Hudaktopia, they will be insulated from drastic political changes. ... ETFO will get raped by the Tories if they keep holding out.

The media sure ran with that one, trying to scare teachers into giving in. I read a few responses from Catholic Schools saying they didn't notice any change, a few others that said they felt it was bit more busy. A few people from the Catholic boards really indulged in the marketing of the Catholic board to talk it up. The reality is that a few kids might have switched... Unless there are a large number of idiot parents who think that their child is guaranteed a spot on a team(lol, so shortsighted. Public teachers probably wouldn't want to deal with that parent anyways)

The "official" reason was to show goodwill toward Wynne so that they could get back to bargaining.

Extracurricular's are more intertwined with Secondary teachers. It's part of many teachers' identity. They enjoy the coaching, many identify with the coaching more than teaching. I think it's harder for OSSTF to hold them off and read their membership fairly well. As MAC said, they didn't have the same level of support ETFO did from the start. The heart of their membership wanted to leave the imposition/Bill 115 to the courts, and modify the deal to get something to vote on. That's what they are getting.

Give a Mike Harris scenario where secondary teachers get a whole crap load of extra work and more teaching time that take away extracurriculars and they'd be held off indefinitely.

I feel that ETFO is digging themselves their own grave. If OSSTF walks out of here with a 4 year contract, I've heard rumours that they want a 4 year deal to avoid a potential Hudaktopia, they will be insulated from drastic political changes. ... ETFO will get raped by the Tories if they keep holding out.

Visit Milton Ontario.. the buildrate of Catholic schools vs public is 3:1... St.this, Our lady of that, The good thing about Halton Region is that parents can opt to stay out of the Mainstream "teacings" for the child(ren) if so desired.. Halton Region has it right...