Should Canada enforce a stronger military presence in the North?

tommg6

With global warming happening and the Arctic Ocean opening up its waters these recent years, should Canada enforce/maintain a stronger military presence in the Canadian North?

With the waters opening up and vast mineral resources at stake, should Stephen Harper do something about maintaining our sovereignty up there? I feel Canada could do a bit more myself.

Already, the Russians, the Danish and the Americans are claiming various bids of the North for potential natural resources. Heck, even the Russians planted a Russian flag under the Ocean up north.

So, what do you think?

Edited by tommg6

With global warming happening and the Arctic Ocean opening up its waters these recent years, should Canada enforce/maintain a stronger military presence in the Canadian North?

With the waters opening up and vast mineral resources at stake, should Stephen Harper do something about maintaining our sovereignty up there? I feel Canada could do a bit more myself.

Already, the Russians, the Danish and the Americans are claiming various bids of the North for potential natural resources. Heck, even the Russians planted a Russian flag under the Ocean up north.

So, what do you think?

Last I heard, Canada was planning a bunch of joint ventures with most of the countries that circle the pole so I would say that any sovereignty issues would be dealt with quickly by those countries. We are all basically friends and I have not heard of any disputes to date.

It seems we are doing things right by cooperating for and not competing for those resources.

One of our good partners up there is Russia and I think that if any muscle is needed up there that we can count on them to support us and if we need muscle against them, the rest of our coalition can kick butt hard enough. So far so good in cooperations though.

Anyway, Harper will hit us in the wallets hard enough as is if he pushes us furthe into the drug was by clamping down on pot. Tax bump on the way.

I guess that the U S need more help in protecting what has been California's largest cash crop for the last 60 odd years. We just have to help kill off a few more Mexicans for the U S. I guess.

Strange that the whole world is moving to the left of that issue and Harper is going to the right just to please the U S and keep California puffing and a grinning.

Regards

DL

One of our good partners up there is Russia and I think that if any muscle is needed up there that we can count on them to support us and if we need muscle against them,

Russia is never a country to count on. In factb most countries cannot be counted on except to do something in their best interests and billy be damned for the rest.

If the Russians could get all the oil up there, they would kill cheat and lie to get it.

russia has more oil than it knows what to do with(if they ever finish doing geological surveys on the territory likely more oil/gas than anyone) they don't need ours...russia is totally benign it's completely satisfied going through the UN to settle any territorial disputes and has already done so...russians planting a flag on the north pole seabed was as harmless norway planting a flag on the south pole as has the UK and any other country that has reached it, it's purely a "we were here" moment and nothing more...

other than serach and rescue teams we don't any military in the arctic, even our military thinks it's a waste of time and money...

Edited by wyly

Guest American Woman

What bids of the North, for what natural resources, have the Americans claimed?

Russia is never a country to count on. In factb most countries cannot be counted on except to do something in their best interests and billy be damned for the rest.

If the Russians could get all the oil up there, they would kill cheat and lie to get it.

Hence the coalition.

I'm sure glad you were not on the negotiation team that formed it. You would have helped it fail.

You seem to think that the USSR still exists. Russia is not the USSR.

Regards

DL

Hence the coalition.

I'm sure glad you were not on the negotiation team that formed it. You would have helped it fail.

Regards

DL

and russia is completely puzzled by the canadian paranoia...Russia quietly negotiates territorial disputes with neighbour Norway but for some bizarre reason canadians think the russians are ready to invade...

then there is the dispute over Hans Island with the Danes, really?... do people actually believe Denmark and canada are going to go to war over a rock?...the danes plant a flag on the rock then canada plants a flag on the rock and they both go to the UN to mediate it...

Fine

But Putin is Putin, and he is the one to be worried about.

Corruption is the largest economical industry in Russia. Their legal system is run by oligarchs , businesses can be raided and turned over to others on whim, the Dept of Interior is a nightmare of crooks.

Like I said, I would count my fingers after shaking a Russian govts hand.

Fine

Corruption is the largest economical industry in Russia. Their legal system is run by oligarchs , businesses can be raided and turned over to others on whim, the Dept of Interior is a nightmare of crooks.

and they have more natural resources than they know what to do with, they're not coming for ours...

and they have more natural resources than they know what to do with, they're not coming for ours...

...not yet at least.

I wasnt ttrying to impart the idea they were going to take them , just that if they decide to do so, they will, come hell or high water, I put them in the same boat as the Chinese....smile...and when no one is looking they will do the worst of the worst. One need only look at Africa to see that happening.

...not yet at least.

I wasnt ttrying to impart the idea they were going to take them , just that if they decide to do so, they will, come hell or high water, I put them in the same boat as the Chinese....smile...and when no one is looking they will do the worst of the worst. One need only look at Africa to see that happening.

the chinese are buying our resources as they're buying them in africa it's much cheaper option than going war for them...

if any country is likely to come for our resources it'll be the usa...and the resource will be water....

So, what do you think?

It's so far away it's hard to get too worked up about it. Perhaps that's why so few Canadians gave a damn about the west coast when foreign nations, including our allies and BFF's, were raping our fish stocks out in the North Pacific back in the day.

Is it the fact that it'll mostly be our poor billionaires and resource corporations that are affected by other countries claims that should compel Canadians to worry about the Arctic?

Perhaps that explains how out west it was our billionaires and fishing corporations that came out on top once our government finally did something about our resources being raped in the Pacific - which was to flush most of BC's small fishermen, coastal communities and a huge chunk of their industrial base down the drain.

Meh, to the Arctic I say. There's nothing in it for me so why should I give a damn? For the sake of Canadians who ignored us on the Pacific coast? Meh to them too.

You should see DFO in action.

So, what do you think?

Why not kill two birds with one stone... increase forces with only Inuit and first nations in the North, you know cause they are unemployed.. but also do it at a highschool level because of poor attendance issues.. get them in the military young. Also include secondary education in with the forces training all covert like.

They want excitement.. so give them some... rebellious youth can benefit from some structure.

76% of the students in the NWT leave school before graduating from grade twelve.

http://www.polarnet....t_Drop_Out.html

You have inunit being upset government jobs arn't going to inuits.. well some time in the forces will better prepare them for government service jobs... the military regime for the north could even prepare them for the office work or officer school.. or university they might never see without it.

Edited by login

Guest Derek L

Theres only one way for Canada to truly assert sovereignty over the North and that is to develop it. Mining cities, ports, etc will do way more to assert our sovereignty there than the odd plane flying over.

I agree 100%.

There's another small slice in dispute along our southern fishing border.

We used to fish down to where Ottawa said the border was and the American's fished up to where Uncle Sam said it belongs. Before that the border was miles away inside us and we all just got along and never thought twice about it.

Ottawa solved America's problem by eliminating thousands of Canadian boats and the Americans are all still pretty much catching the bulk of Canada's fish to this day.

I'm sorry, what was all that crap about sovereignty again?

Edited by eyeball

Fine

Corruption is everywhere. Ask Mulrony.

As to oligarchies, what do you think you live in if not exactly that?

Canadian Dream.

Regards

DL

Regards

DL

and russia is completely puzzled by the canadian paranoia...Russia quietly negotiates territorial disputes with neighbour Norway but for some bizarre reason canadians think the russians are ready to invade...

then there is the dispute over Hans Island with the Danes, really?... do people actually believe Denmark and canada are going to go to war over a rock?...the danes plant a flag on the rock then canada plants a flag on the rock and they both go to the UN to mediate it...

What Canadian do you know who is paranoid?

I don't think Canadians are worried about much at all.

Why should we. Things are the best they have even been thanks to my Illuminati friends ruling the world.

Regards

DL

Theres only one way for Canada to truly assert sovereignty over the North and that is to develop it. Mining cities, ports, etc will do way more to assert our sovereignty there than the odd plane flying over.

That's true. But, who's going to populate these places? How are goods going to be provided in a relatively cost-effective manner?

That's true. But, who's going to populate these places? How are goods going to be provided in a relatively cost-effective manner?

yes, they need to be viable...in communist ussr there were towns/cities built that since the fall of the soviet have all but been abandoned, when the government subsidies disappeared so did the jobs and people...,

I think it be a great idea that Mr. Harper eases more access and leniency towards more mining companies in the developing the North. That would be a surefire way for our sovereignty to be reassured and plus it would help the local economy up there and give jobs to the Inuits.

I think it be a great idea that Mr. Harper eases more access and leniency towards more mining companies in the developing the North. That would be a surefire way for our sovereignty to be reassured and plus it would help the local economy up there and give jobs to the Inuits.

mining companies are notoriously irresponsible give them any slack and they'll destroy everything near the mine, they're only responsible when they have rules and regulations to follow...

How about the Inuit move down south where the jobs are...like everyone else in the country when there's no work where you live, it's time to move...it sucks but that's reality the work isn't coming to you...