Rob Ford Turfed ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/11/25/toronto-ford-conflict-case-decision-release.html

Looks like he has been relieved of duties as mayor. It's a black mark on the city to have had such a disorganized and careless mayor. I guess this means we have to have a new election.

Quite unexpected.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...on-release.html

Looks like he has been relieved of duties as mayor. It's a black mark on the city to have had such a disorganized and careless mayor. I guess this means we have to have a new election.

Quite unexpected.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...on-release.html

Quite unexpected.

If I didn't know better I'd consider this trolling. Can Olivia Chow run ?

Personally I bet the appeals will go on till the next election.

Hearing the decision, I can't fault it.

Ford was stupid to take the position he did voting on the motion etc. He won't win the next election and it's his own fault.

Edited by Peeves

Adam Vaughan had been saying this morning, not a fan of the mayor at all, that these kind of distractions are bad for the city. The idea that they now have to contemplate who they'll replace the mayor with or will they have another election, will take away from the city's business.

This was a motion done by a private citizen and not Ford's enemies on council. I doubt they are taking pleasure in this ruling.

Edited by Boges

He might not be able to run in a byelection by the sounds of it. Ruling said he can serve "beyond the current term". So 2014 is fair game.

Weird if he did though. I can see him trying to spin this as a conspiracy by his lefty enemies, but surely this tarnishes whatever luster his brand as a corruption-fighter had left?

He might not be able to run in a byelection by the sounds of it. Ruling said he can serve "beyond the current term". So 2014 is fair game.

Weird if he did though. I can see him trying to spin this as a conspiracy by his lefty enemies, but surely this tarnishes whatever luster his brand as a corruption-fighter had left?

He was foolish and pays the price as he should. I was a supporter and still think he was the right choice, but he's too dumb to be mayor in my opinion. I wouldn't vote for him in the future based on his behavior, not his politics.

Adam Vaughan had been saying this morning, not a fan of the mayor at all, that these kind of distractions are bad for the city. The idea that they now have to contemplate who they'll replace the mayor with or will they have another election, will take away from the city's business.

This was a motion done by a private citizen and not Ford's enemies on council. I doubt they are taking pleasure in this ruling.

Vaughan is an opportunist always ready for a photo op. A Jesse Jackson in pale face.

Edited by Peeves

He was foolish and pays the price as he should. I was a supporter and still think he was the right choice, but he's too dumb to be mayor in my opinion. I wouldn't vote for him in the future based on his behavior, not his politics.

So Geo Smitherman would have been a better choice? His fingerprints are all over every scandal dalton rack up. Sometimes having the ''smart guys'' is worse that having a normal guy.

The headlines around the world should read

"Toronto Mayor booted for raising $3000 for charitable foundation".

There's an embarrassment her....but it's not Rob Ford. Knowing that the City finances and culture needed a cleaning, the media could have embraced Ford as Large and Lovable. Instead, the Toronto Star and others poked forks in him from Day One.

So Geo Smitherman would have been a better choice? His fingerprints are all over every scandal dalton rack up. Sometimes having the ''smart guys'' is worse that having a normal guy.

Apparently Smitherman Tweeted "Touchdown for Accountability!" Is there anyone in Ontario who's been held to account for his transgressions less than George Smitherman?

The headlines around the world should read

"Toronto Mayor booted for raising $3000 for charitable foundation".

There's an embarrassment her....but it's not Rob Ford. Knowing that the City finances and culture needed a cleaning, the media could have embraced Ford as Large and Lovable. Instead, the Toronto Star and others poked forks in him from Day One.

That's not the issue and you (should) know it.

Please elaborate as to how you concluded that I endorsed Smitherman.

I liked what I heard when Ford was running for mayor but he has done nothing of what he said he was going to do once he was elected. Miller spent way too much, Ford seems to be incompetent. Can we not find a reasonable person to be mayor of our city? We just need someone who isn't flashy or gimmicky who will be a sound money manager. That's all. Seems like a tall order with the current offerings.

He's done a lot of what he said he'd do when he was elected.

- Remove License sticker surcharge

- Labour Piece with Unions while saving money

- Pass a budget spending less than the previous year

- Contracting out lots of services

- He would have stopped the Bag Tax if someone idiot decided to turn it into a bag ban (which the city is now being sued over)

Edited by Boges

That's not the issue and you (should) know it.

"In my opinion, the respondent's actions were characterized by ignorance of the law and a lack of diligence in securing professional advice, amounting to wilful blindness."

Now we will see a quixotic response from Ford.

I'm not sure what conservatives here are pissed about. A judge applied the law as it was written. If it were a progressive judge, he would have ruled that it was only a few thousand bucks and it was for a good cause and thrown the case out. It's like on one hand you want don't want the judiciary to be progressive, then when one of your own gets nailed, you do. Pretty hypocritical.

I'm not sure what conservatives here are pissed about. A judge applied the law as it was written. If it were a progressive judge, he would have ruled that it was only a few thousand bucks and it was for a good cause and thrown the case out. It's like on one hand you want don't want the judiciary to be progressive, then when one of your own gets nailed, you do. Pretty hypocritical.

Why do you charge we conservatives' as you do? Aren't you simply being argumentative, provoking and insulting?

He's done a lot of what he said he'd do when he was elected.

- Remove License sticker surcharge

- Labour Piece with Unions while saving money

- Pass a budget spending less than the previous year

- Contracting out lots of services

- He would have stopped the Bag Tax if someone idiot decided to turn it into a bag ban (which the city is now being sued over)

Problem is, Ford created this notion that spending was wildly out of control at City Hall and that he could save millions upon millions without cutting anything. It was b.s of course, but his meager achievements pale when you consider the narrative he rode in on.

Nope. I'm simply adding to the discussion by pointing out that the judge made a very conservative decision and it's ironic that conservatives on this forum are upset by this.

But as a Liberal you also have to see the irony in applauding a heavy-handed ruling because the judge had no choice to use discretion. When I started a thread about this I think most members agreed that Ford was in the wrong but didn't deserve to lose his job over this.