Nova Scotia's NDP outsources jobs

Now here is an interesting item seen as I munched my morning Corn Flakes. It seems that the NDP is doing some untoward things with Nova Scotia IT jobs, namely outsourcing them to American firms. The political "optics" and data privacy concerns are unsettling for some to be sure.

The Nova Scotia government has announced a deal with IBM Canada to contract out administration of its computer information system, angering dozens of information technology workers who were told their jobs will be outsourced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/11/08/ns-sap-jessome.html

This is especially bad with RIM closing the Technical support and "I-T" facility just last month... 700 Jobs...

The NDP, regardless of provincial or Federal, have NO clue... Financial management? Economics? Hell no,,, Only if its Union jobs..

Comments are saying outsourcing to American hands, but the article says IBM Canada. Maybe the assumption is that IBM will outsource to India.

More info here, it seems the gov't won't be actually saving money but will be more efficient ?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/nova-scotia-announces-deal-to-outsource-payroll-procurement-info-to-ibm-177873631.html

Edited by scribblet

ITs called BYOD (Bring your Own Device)... of the 17,500 who have been offered the BYOD,, 17,300 (200 Fish and game guys) have remained with Blackberry BTW...

I wont begin to talk about the mobile viruses on both iOS and Android.....

Doesn't bother me at all. Besides, Android phones and contracts will eventually drive RIM to its inevitable demise. See Palm OS.

They aren't "outsourcing" them. They are asking IBM to do the work cheaper however as part of the deal IBM is setting up shop in NS and hiring 500 workers. All the workers who are being "laid off" are being offered jobs at the new IBM which is opening up in Halifax. So what is the NS NDP doing? They are creating jobs. DO SOME RESEARCH!

I noticed a lot of union haters around here jumped all over the Unions statement on "outsourcing" with out doing any research. Go figure.

Edited by punked

This is a very strange thread.

It seems like everyone agree but seems to be looking for an argument.

That is what true compromise is isn't it? I really do not see the down side and the unions only complaint is that their pension won't come with to the new IBM jobs. Give a little to get 400 additional jibs in NS on top of the people already doing this work there. Good governance is hard but the NS NDP seem to be doing it right striking a balance with out giving up their core.

It seems that the NDP is doing some untoward things with Nova Scotia IT jobs, namely outsourcing them to American firms. The political "optics" and data privacy concerns are unsettling for some to be sure.

Nova Scotians--and Canadians generally--will do as they wish. No matter how often the Canada-obssessed wannabees depend on us for their entertainment!

You can't make this stuff up!

:)