Press complains about access to Harper.

Topaz

The Hill Times reporters are one of the many who are complaining that when the PM goes overseas, that they can only ask two questions among all of them and that it does cost them money to go with the PM just to have two questions asked. The last time the PM had a press conference was June 2009, why? Harper seem the most unfriendly PM towards the media. What would happen if the media boycoot writing anything about the Tories or the PM for a month??http://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/2012/10/29/hill-reporters-complain-about-pm%E2%80%99s-lack-of-access-on-trips/32606

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hill Times reporters are one of the many who are complaining that when the PM goes overseas, that they can only ask two questions among all of them and that it does cost them money to go with the PM just to have two questions asked. The last time the PM had a press conference was June 2009, why? Harper seem the most unfriendly PM towards the media. What would happen if the media boycoot writing anything about the Tories or the PM for a month??http://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/2012/10/29/hill-reporters-complain-about-pm%E2%80%99s-lack-of-access-on-trips/32606

I think if the media boycotted reporting Harper he would be glad! It's better than bad-mouthing him!

Harper and the media have been feuding for years, ever since the Reform days. Most of the press went out of their way to write about everything bad about Reform, later the CPC and always Harper. Anything bad often didn't have to be true, or was trivial but the press magnified it out of proportion.

Anything good tended to be ignored.

Harper no doubt vowed that if he was ever in power and the media needed him he would pay them back! He has sent a strong message to the media that if they won't be fair then he owes them nothing more than the bare minimum law or custom demands. He DOES talk to a few members of the media - those that he considered fair. So they get the stories and interviews. The others don't.

I find it amusing, myself. I always love to see those who treat people badly get their comeuppance!laugh.png

Edited by Wild Bill

Harper doesn't want to be scrutinized. It kind of ruins the whole mystique of creating your own alternate reality.

You better read post #2, that is the answer and the only answer, your beloved media screwed themselves big time, and it looks good on them. Maybe now they will start doing there jobs properly instead of just backing the liberals. Time for that shit to end. Just like the report by the washington times on how the press room at the debates would cheer for anything obama said. That is not reporting that is trying to affect the outcome of a election. And I imagine you will see the media out in full force next eletion to try and get rid of harper.

My view is the media is there to write about the PMO and everything and everyone that goes with it. As long as what they write is true then what is the problem and why should Harper feel he can dodge the media and their questions and that goes ofr ANY PM. Harper is the kind of PM that want to keep info to himself but that not his job, he's fed. worker, who wanted to be PM for his own reasons and with that job comes duties he may not like but he's getting paid to do them, so he should do them.

Show him a little respect and maybe he will change. Everything the media came out with about harper turned out to be wrong and nobody has come out and said it. The media is their own worst enemy and have nobody to blame but themselves if the PMO is not talking to them.Start acting like professionals instead of children trying to be bullies. It is very simple.

What a wonderful country it would be if we had no media holding politicians accountable and informing the electorate.

Well thank the MSM for the mess they created, how do you hold someone accountable,when they write such garbage as they do, when is someone going to start holding the media accountable in this country.

Everything the media ever said about Harper was wrong? Is that so?

How can anyone even have a conversation with you, if you're living in a fantasy world?

Went over board there, not all. But alot of what has been told about harper was a joke and very unfair. Just look at the fawning all over trudeau by the same media. They don't like you , they will make pay, or at least try.

WB summed it up perfectly. The press was trying to kill Reform, Harper and anything right wing daily in the papers in the early 90's onwards and are now complaining that Harper doesn't want to talk to him? Do you blame him for being a bit paranoid after the way the press constantly treats the man?

This is the problem when a flawed electoral system gives a minority of people the majority of the house. Most of the country thinks differently than the ruling party. The media isn't out to get the Harper regime but unfortunately their ideology driven agenda doesn't gel with two thirds of the country.

My view is the media is there to write about the PMO and everything and everyone that goes with it. As long as what they write is true then what is the problem and why should Harper feel he can dodge the media and their questions and that goes ofr ANY PM. Harper is the kind of PM that want to keep info to himself but that not his job, he's fed. worker, who wanted to be PM for his own reasons and with that job comes duties he may not like but he's getting paid to do them, so he should do them.

What is the problem?The media DIDN't write what was true! They wrote a lot of what was untrue. They were biased and unfair! What would you expect Harper to do? Kiss them?

Just because you don't like Harper doesn't change what the media did. They made their own bed and now they bitch 'cuz it's not comfortable

Too damn bad!

As I said, Harper hasn't totally shut out the media. He does grant interviews to those reporters he trusts to be fair and professional. He just has drastically cut down on the juicy media scrums the reporters were all used to. The job of a reporter is to get news. The Liberals gave them interviews and video clips all the time. Now reporters are starved for political items from the government. So a reporter has a much harder time pleasing his boss and making a name for himself.

As I said, the media did it to themselves. There are no laws forcing Harper to give the media much of anything. Politicians do it to get good press for themselves. The media for a long time wouldn't give Harper and his party any good press. Now they expect that with him being the PM he should be nice to them?

If they think that then their heads must zip up the back!

What a wonderful country it would be if we had no media holding politicians accountable and informing the electorate.

CC, I think you are just being partisan. You hate Harper. Period and end of story. So you will twist anything to say he is evil and no one else did anything wrong.

It is an established obvious fact that the media were very unfair to Harper and his party. Harper is entitled to give them back some of their own. That is the only way to educate the MSM that there are consequences for being unfair and that if they choose to do so there will be retaliation.

Unfortunately, most reporters are too thick to learn manners any other way.

This is the problem when a flawed electoral system gives a minority of people the majority of the house. Most of the country thinks differently than the ruling party. The media isn't out to get the Harper regime but unfortunately their ideology driven agenda doesn't gel with two thirds of the country.

Sounds to me like code for "We couldn't get enough people to vote for us so we didn't win but we should get to run things anyway!".

Went over board there, not all. But alot of what has been told about harper was a joke and very unfair. Just look at the fawning all over trudeau by the same media. They don't like you , they will make pay, or at least try.

I'm not sure what "fawning over Trudeau" has to do with Harper, not that I accept your premise that the media fawns over Trudeau.

CC, I think you are just being partisan. You hate Harper. Period and end of story. So you will twist anything to say he is evil and no one else did anything wrong.

It is an established obvious fact that the media were very unfair to Harper and his party. Harper is entitled to give them back some of their own. That is the only way to educate the MSM that there are consequences for being unfair and that if they choose to do so there will be retaliation.

Unfortunately, most reporters are too thick to learn manners any other way.

This isn't about Harper personally, so I have no idea what you're talking about. This is about the media having access to the Prime Minister, whoever it may be. It just happens to be Harper right now.

This isn't about Harper personally, so I have no idea what you're talking about. This is about the media having access to the Prime Minister, whoever it may be. It just happens to be Harper right now.

They do have access, it has just become very limited. Again, they did it to themselves. The MSM also has a duty to be professional. With Harper, they have never been.

How else can their behaviour be corrected? Are you suggesting that the media should be able to be as unfair as they want? That the media has the right to try to influence the way people vote?

Why don't we just hand the CEO of TorStar the keys to the country?

Or are you so partisan you would agree with such a thing?

That the media has the right to try to influence the way people vote?

Yes

Why don't we just hand the CEO of TorStar the keys to the country?

No thanks

Or are you so partisan you would agree with such a thing?

Agree?

As throughout history, newspapers have always had biases and nothing has changed in the 200 hundred or so years.

Hate to burst anyones manufactured outrage, but leaders have always had to put up with papers being a pain in the arse. Harper however limits access, but, he can so he will in time come to regret it.

Chretien never faced a tenth of what Reform and Harper put up with!

Back in those days, friends and I would watch some sweet young thing interview Preston Manning. We would play a game of "guess what biased or leading question she will say before she says it!" It was ridiculously easy to do and we would laugh ourselves silly.

You are right that papers can be a pain in the arse but the level aimed at Reform and then Harper was greater by a quantum level! If you didn't see that for youself you are either too young to remember, too biased or you just grew up on Mars!

You are right that papers can be a pain in the arse but the level aimed at Reform and then Harper was greater by a quantum level! If you didn't see that for youself you are either too young to remember, too biased or you just grew up on Mars!

The Liberals were the ones who came up with the scary scary, not the press.

The fact that Reform had some idiots bleating to the papers with supposedly homphobic, racist and sexist remarks was not anyones undoing but themselves.

Well harper won a majority and will get the next one, so really who gives a shit about what some child like reporters think. They tried and harper beat them and the people know it. So it is ALL up to the press to smooth things out with the PMO.

The PM doesn't really have any responsibility to be interviewed. The press can research and write whatever they want, but the PM doesn't have to speak with them directly. The outrage of the MSM is noted, and ignored. Harper holds them in contempt, and I don't think that's unreasonable considerning how sensational it's become in NA over the last couple of decades.