What are you reading right now?

msj

Turtledove writes some neat books.  I have read five of his books in entirety, and some of three of them:

The Great War trilogy

The Two Georges

Blood and Iron (first in the "American Empire" trilogy)

How Few Remain (didn't finish yet)

Bombs Away (1st of the The Hot War trilogy--also didn't finish yet)

Ruled Britannia (it sucked so I bailed)

Read any of those yet, bcsapper? anyone?

Edited by JamesHackerMP

9 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Turtledove writes some neat books.  I have read five of his books in entirety, and some of three of them:

The Great War trilogy

The Two Georges

Blood and Iron (first in the "American Empire" trilogy)

How Few Remain (didn't finish yet)

Bombs Away (1st of the The Hot War trilogy--also didn't finish yet)

Ruled Britannia (it sucked so I bailed)

Read any of those yet, bcsapper? anyone?

None of those, Minister.  I'm fairly new to his stuff.  I'm currently reading this: 

the-guns-of-the-south.jpg

I thought I'd get it in before all the statues disappeared.

I can understand why Ruled Britannia sucked.  I mean, the very idea...

Edited by bcsapper

The Great War trilogy is an extension of Guns of the South and How Few Remain.  The CSA won the "war of secession", and the "second mexican war", and goes to war with the rump United States yet a third time after the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand in 1914.  The War is "over here" instead of "over there".  It was a good series.

The American Empire trilogy covers the interwar years, and the rise of a dictator as President of the CSA (like Hitler did in Germany).  Then there's a trilogy about WWII (I think it's called Settling Accounts or something) where the CSA gets its shot at revenge.

General Custer, T. Roosevelt, Wilson, Eugene Debs, other real life personas make their appearances.

Recently I also picked up Why I Hate Canadians and  How to be a Canadian by Will Ferguson.  They're pretty funny.  (It's not an American bitching about Canada, it's a Canadian author taking a satirical look at his country's recent history and politics.)

Edited by JamesHackerMP

7 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Recently I also picked up Why I Hate Canadians and  How to be a Canadian by Will Ferguson.  They're pretty funny.  (It's not an American bitching about Canada, it's a Canadian author taking a satirical look at his country's recent history and politics.)

I picked this up at a used bookstore a few years back. 

english-are-they-human-renier.jpg?w=250

Edited by bcsapper

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 8:21 AM, Penderyn said:

'All the President's Men' for I don't know how many-ieth time.    I tend to read it whenever the current American fuhrer is particularly ludicrous and insufferable.

I don't like Trump either but this is the flipside of All the President's Men. The FBI raids are white collar Watergate.

11 hours ago, jbg said:

I don't like Trump either but this is the flipside of All the President's Men. The FBI raids are white collar Watergate.

Can't see it.   Who knifed Mrs Clinton?

9 hours ago, Penderyn said:

Can't see it.   Who knifed Mrs Clinton?

I don't understand your question, "(w)ho knifed Mrs Clinton?" The entire investigation is a search for a crime, not a search to solve a crime. And rather than using a bunch of Cubans, the FBI got warrants available on a "rubber stamp" basis to conduct the break-ins. As a practicing lawyer I find this very creepy.

• 5 months later...

Just finished The Human Stain by Phillip Roth which was excellent. Now reading Mythos by Stephen Fry and having a repeat read of Persuasion by Jane Austen. Highbrows may claim that style is all and that the subject matter of a book is irrelevant but I will never warm to an Austen novel. Not enough happens for my liking. 

Pachinko -Min Jin Lee

Yeongdo, Korea 1911.

In a small fishing village on the banks of the East Sea, a club-footed, cleft-lipped man marries a fifteen-year-old girl. The couple have one child, their beloved daughter Sunja. When Sunja falls pregnant by a married yakuza, the family face ruin. But then Isak, a Christian minister, offers her a chance of salvation: a new life in Japan as his wife.

34051011.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much more interesting than it sounds very well written too.

Edited by bill_barilko

Those Who Wish Me Dead  by Michael Koryta.

I'm on a quest looking for an author with similar writing style as John Sandford.....and looks like he comes close.  Just started.  This is the first book of his that I'm reading.  The 2 villains here are really creepy, and so far it's hard to put down.  It's really competing with Kavanaugh's and forums!

Edited by betsy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...