What are you reading right now?

msj

just came from the bookstore with these

- most memorable poems - i read 3 poems aloud and having much fun - oh, life is good

- 101 physics problems

- 50 shades of grey (heard about this one) so I bought the first volume - we will see (update a day later: not impressed), I guess I am not the romantic I once thought, really a waste of my time and I bought the book too. Damm.

- paradox by Jim Al-Khalili

- chinese

Edited by RB

Grisham wrote another baseball novel? I read his novels because of the law interest - gets a bit boring after a while. What I meant is that the story telling is great, but the language is far too simple...I still read them anyway sad.png

Edited by RB

Just finished The Hapsburgs: Embodying Empire by Andrew Wheatcroftt

And? Was it any good?

---------------

I have been all over the place: went to Palm Springs at the beginning of the month with Swordspoint on my iPhone and Good Omens on my Kindle.

Still haven't finished either on. About half way through both.

Started listening to Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie and I am about a quarter of the way through that.

All books are enjoyable but being busy and stressed at work makes me restless. I tend to switch from listening to books to music in the car and from reading to watching movies at home.

Now that I am going to Honolulu to unwind next week I hope to finish at least one of these books.

Was it any good? well, kinda dry and scholarly. Not much excitement. No twisting of the plot or anything. But interesting in how the Hapsburgs pawned themselves off as intermediaries between God and their subjects; How many of them actually believed this to be the case; How they kept things in the family through intermarriage; The vast wealth; The vast expenses and the continuous propaganda machine to justify their place in society.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading de Touqueville's "Democracy in America" Kind of dry but some interesting stuff.

Also, I am re-reading "Man vs. the Welfare State" by Henry Hazlitt. I recommend that for a good economic understanding of the effects of government intervention in the market.

Edited by Pliny

So, went away to Honolulu. Didn't finish any of the books I wanted to.

Been back for a week now and I am now very close to finishing Salman Rushdie's Joseph Anton: A Memoir.

Overall it's a interesting read. Most of the book deals with the fatwa against him, what life was really like for him and friends and family during those years, the criticisms of him and his protection, the case for why standing up to state sponsored terrorism and for freedom of expression is so important, etc...

The final quarter of the book is weak but overall one of the more cerebral biographies/memoirs I've read.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading this post I'm typing.

But seriously, I don't read books as such and the reason is because of the company. I find the attitude of many people who do (many, not all) to be problematic. It is similar to those snooty art folks. There seems to be this line of thinking that unless you read books, you are stupid. That those who choose not to read, like me, only do so because we are dumb and/or uneducated. I have no desire to associate with these type of people the same as I have no desire to associate with snooty art people.

I don't read books as such and the reason is because of the company. I find the attitude of many people who do (many, not all) to be problematic. It is similar to those snooty art folks. There seems to be this line of thinking that unless you read books, you are stupid. That those who choose not to read, like me, only do so because we are dumb and/or uneducated. I have no desire to associate with these type of people the same as I have no desire to associate with snooty art people.

I know what you mean.

I feel the same way towards scientific paradoxes. I find the attitude of many people who do (many, not all) to be problematic. It is similar to those snooty science folks. There seems to be this line of thinking that unless you think about scientific paradoxes, you are stupid. That those who choose not to think about them, like me, only do so because we are dumb and/or uneducated. I have no desire to associate with these types of people the same as I have no desire to associate with snooty science people.

biggrin.png

--------------

Anyway, may I recommend, while looking over my glasses and down my nose in my most snootiest way possible, Harold Blooms How to Read and Why?

The link is to the audio book version so you are not really "reading" it. wink.png

Perhaps you could recommend a book on paradoxes that perhaps one of your snooty scientist friends has mentioned? laugh.png

• 1 month later...
Guest American Woman

"A Street Cat Named Bob" by James Bowen: "How one man and his cat found hope on the streets" A great read. Good insight into human nature - and how strong an influence the love of, and from, an animal can have. :)

"A Street Cat Named Bob" by James Bowen: "How one man and his cat found hope on the streets" A great read. Good insight into human nature - and how strong an influence the love of, and from, an animal can have. smile.png

Sounds terrific!

-k

http://www.readyplayerone.com/

I am almost ashamed that I know and have played many of the games talked about in this book. It's been an interesting read so far(half way through).

The OASIS is a global internet immersive simulation. The creator died with no heirs and left easter eggs all over the game world(s) he who collects all will win the inheritance. Some of it will simply make you laugh with a little guilt as you recognize many of the games talked about.

For the nerd/geek in you, this is perfect.